Not open for further replies.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The UK, Australia, and New Zealand along with at least another half dozen countrys like Italy have bans on these violent dangerous animals. Why does the US always have to be the last to do the right thing. I think this country is like only one of two in the world that is not on the metric system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Wn_Ha6mec

Update on video: the owners, a couple, have been arrested and are sittting in jail on 250k each.

The boy was on a public road 150 yards from his house, 50 yards from the pit bull owners' home. The drivers who saw the boy's body and came assist were chased back into their cars by the dogs and the police arriving shot the two pit bulls when the were charged by the dogs.

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This represents the true ignorance of the American public. Pit Bulls are hardly dangerous animals, in fact your much more likely to be biten (or even killed) by a Lab or a Chow. Most breeds on "most likely to bite" lists are small toy breed dogs. A dog ignorant public simply has it out for "pit bulls" (actually it tends to be American Staffordshire Terriers that people are most afriad of but in their ignorance don't even know what an actual pit bull is) in the same way a dog ignorant public had it out for German Shepards and Dobbies in the 80's. Truth is there are no "aggressive breeds or bad dogs," just bad owners. Blaming a breed of dog for the behavior of a certain subculture in soceity is stupidity in its worst form.

Truth is pit bulls, and related breeds, have less aggression towards humans because of their breeding. Back when dog fighting was a legal sport (not ghetto street trash running absurd cruel shows) a fighting dog had to be able to be handled by its owner in the middle of a fight. A dog that would bite its handler was unacceptable. Media sensationalism aside, pit bulls, amstaffs, bull terriers, and the like are very good natured dogs who make excellent pets.

Reactions: Romans 13:3
Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
This represents the true ignorance of the American public. Pit Bulls are hardly dangerous animals, in fact your much more likely to be biten (or even killed) by a Lab or a Chow. Most breeds on "most likely to bite" lists are small toy breed dogs. A dog ignorant public simply has it out for "pit bulls" (actually it tends to be American Staffordshire Terriers that people are most afriad of but in their ignorance don't even know what an actual pit bull is) in the same way a dog ignorant public had it out for German Shepards and Dobbies in the 80's. Truth is there are no "aggressive breeds or bad dogs," just bad owners. Blaming a breed of dog for the behavior of a certain subculture in soceity is stupidity in its worst form.

Indeedy. But the bite of a Yorkshire terrier isn't nearly as dangerous as the bite of a pit bull, simply because Yorkie's don't have jaws that strong. Having said that, Pit Bulls - like Alsacians, Dobermans and Rottweilers - are difficult dogs, but they can be really sweet when handled properly. Any dog is a risk in the hands of the wrong person.

Truth is pit bulls, and related breeds, have less aggression towards humans because of their breeding. Back when dog fighting was a legal sport (not ghetto street trash running absurd cruel shows) a fighting dog had to be able to be handled by its owner in the middle of a fight. A dog that would bite its handler was unacceptable. Media sensationalism aside, pit bulls, amstaffs, bull terriers, and the like are very good natured dogs who make excellent pets.

Again, indeedy. My aunt used to have a Staffordshire bull terrier, Sarah, and she was the sweetest dog. She'd literally try to lick you do death. But my aunt knew how to handle that dog - she was amazingly strong, and I hate to think what would have happened if she hadn't been raised properly.
Also - traditionally, yes, Pit Bulls weren't bred to be aggressive, but with an increase in demand you always get dodgy breeders, and with dodgy breeders you get inbreeding and overbreeding and before you know it, you've got a whole legion of dogs who can't help being aggressive because of their genetic markup.

I truly feel for these dogs, too - if a dog attacks a person, it's almost always its owner's fault.

Upvote 0

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some interesting APBT history:

APBT were the first dogs used for military service in the United States. Sallie, the mascot of the 11th Regiment of Pennsylvania, became a legend for her refusal to leave the wounded of the 11th at Gettysburg. When she was shot men of the 11th risk their lives under Confederate fire to bury her where she fell. She has a monument at Gettysburg National Military Park in her honor.
The 102nd Pennsylvania Infantry was so fond of their brave APBT when he was captured by Confederates a prisoner exchange was refused until the CSA forces would include the dog.
A pit bull named Sgt. Stubby is the most decorated dog in US military history and the only dog every promoted during battle. He fought for 1.5 years in the trenches of France where he warned of gas and artillery attacks and because of his strong jaw and muscled frame he was able to pull wounded soldiers out of no man's land while remaining out of the line of fire.
The APBT Petey was a featured member of the Little Rascal's cast. In a time before ignorant paranoid delusions about the breed the Amstaff and APBT were seen as the all American dog. Even as victims of an ignorant media and public pit bulls continue to serve as drug dogs, search and resue dogs, service animals, and as wonderful pets to thousands of families across the country.
Many American historical figures owned pit bulls, individuals such as: Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and Gen. George Patton. The APBT is the only breed that has been featured on three separate covers of Life Magazine and was used extensively on war posters as a symbol of our country.
However, this great and historic breed is under an assualt of ignorance and sensationalism. As Jacqueline O’Neil records in The Ultimate American Pit Bull Terrier much of the sensationism is complete fiction. The author details a New York Post story about a man that received a nasty dog bite to the leg by another breed. However, the story writers didn't find that fanastistic enough and invented a story about a "put bull" attack. It's a shame that this breed is under attack, just as it was a shame when the media chose to shamelessly attack Dobbies and German Shepards during the 80's despite both breeds being wonderful dogs in their own right. We can only hope that one day the ignorance of the public is replaced by a proper understanding of what once was the all American dog.

Upvote 0

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Indeedy. But the bite of a Yorkshire terrier isn't nearly as dangerous as the bite of a pit bull, simply because Yorkie's don't have jaws that strong. Having said that, Pit Bulls - like Alsacians, Dobermans and Rottweilers - are difficult dogs, but they can be really sweet when handled properly. Any dog is a risk in the hands of the wrong person.

While that's true of adults the fact is there are dozens of accounts of small breed dogs killing small children. Doesn't even have to be a function of aggression, a Pomeranian in California smoothered an infant to death because of inattentive parents. Dogs are, by nature, not difficult. That's the product of thousands of years of domestication. Any dog of any breed of any size can be dangerous if they aren't properly trained and socialized.

Again, indeedy. My aunt used to have a Staffordshire bull terrier, Sarah, and she was the sweetest dog. She'd literally try to lick you do death. But my aunt knew how to handle that dog - she was amazingly strong, and I hate to think what would have happened if she hadn't been raised properly.
Also - traditionally, yes, Pit Bulls weren't bred to be aggressive, but with an increase in demand you always get dodgy breeders, and with dodgy breeders you get inbreeding and overbreeding and before you know it, you've got a whole legion of dogs who can't help being aggressive because of their genetic markup.

Poor breeding contributes to health issues more than it does temperment problems. For example, after the movie Lady and the Tramp came out there was a huge spike in demand for Cocker Spaniels. This has produced a lot of health problems with Cockers, but no huge wave of aggressive Cockers. Some pignmy breeding does cause temperment issues. Most pit bull attack stories fall into 3 groups:
1.Pit bull is abused by owners, any dog under those conditions will have aggressive responses.
2.Biten individual bears the vast majority, if not all, responsibility for the attack. The fact that APBT (and similiar breeds) have powerful jaws does tend to produce more serious wounds and thus these stories are reported more than the more numerous examples of this with other breeds.
3.Individual is biten by another breed, the media wants a more sensational story and calls the dog a "pit bull" even when this is an outright lie.

Upvote 0

GlynnWa

Aug 17, 2007
USA
✟8,398.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There was a young girl 12 years old that was attacked by a pitt bull dog in our area and the dog tore her face off. Tell this child how gentle this dog was. It was confirmed as a pitt bull by the SPCA. In our area there is more backyard dog fights than you can count. Tracking down these fights cost many man hours by the police. These fights lead to a large number of dogs in the area, and many of these people do not know how to handle these fighting dogs.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
These fights lead to a large number of dogs in the area, and many of these people do not know how to handle these fighting dogs.

.22 subsonic ammo handles them very well if you're inside city limits. Out in the country anything goes:)

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I don't think there is an official "pit bull" breed. There are "Staffordshire Terriors" and there are many "bully" breeds. Can't get rid of all of them. Besides, it seems to me that how the dog was raised and treated is just about as important as to behavior of the dog as the particular breed.

Upvote 0

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Three weeks ago an eight year old boy threw a rock at a lab, the dog defended itself, so we should ban labs? After all, Labs account for the majority of dog bites in the United States.

It's a complete and total myth that the APBT is a fighting dog. During WW2 when the breed reached it's popularity height it had been nearly a century since breeding of APBT for fighting had ceased. Many dogs have a history as fighting dogs, including English bull dogs (the base stock for bully breeds including the APBT), French bulldogs, boxers, and so on.

Actually, I don't think there is an official "pit bull" breed. There are "Staffordshire Terriors" and there are many "bully" breeds.

Pit bull is a correct term, in a short form, for the American Pit and Bull terrier. However, as the public at large is about as ignorant of dogs as bafriend, a number of breeds are commonly called "pit bulls" including: American Staffordshire Terriers, English Staffordshire Terriers, the APBT, and Bull Terriers. Many people even refer to boxers and "pit bulls." These are all distinct breeds with their own individual breed standards. None of these dogs were bred for fighting originally, most were used as butchers dogs and other cattle related functions.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The difference between pit bulls and most other breeds, is pit bulls were bred to fight. You don't train them or mistreat them to be that way. You just never can trust them because of their breeding.

The way they attack is also different. Defending yourself only makes them more aggressive and they do not bite and haul butt like what happened to me when I was attacked by a lab- they bite and take you down and don't let you go.

These dogs are prey and territorial aggressive. They will defend a pillow. If their mate is with them doubly look out.

I don't know why anyone would be foolish enough to own a dog, that with a single bite, could cost them every single asset they own as well as their freedom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blue Olive

May 24, 2008
Toronto, Canada
✟15,322.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I've never owned a pet, so I don't know very much about dogs. Are the owners of these dogs that attack other people held responsible? If I owned a pit bull as a pet and it mauled a child or an adult, I would expect to be charged with manslaughter or something similar.

Do owners of dogs that attack others get charged in the US or Oceania?

Upvote 0

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The difference between pit bulls and most other breeds, is pit bulls were bred to fight. You don't train them or mistreat them to be that way. You just never can trust them because of their breeding.

Since there is no such breed as a pit bull we can discount every thing else as pure ignornce. None of the breeds commonly called pit bulls were "breed to fight." Bully breeds were bred to be cattle and butcher's dogs. ALL TERRIER breds have issues with aggression towards other dogs and require even greater socializition with other dogs to overcome the problem. However, all terrier breeds also have fewer problems with human aggressive responses.

The way they attack is also different. Defending yourself only makes them more aggressive and they do not bite and haul butt like what happened to me when I was attacked by a lab- they bite and take you down and don't let you go.

Pure mythology and ignorance.

[QUOTEThese dogs are prey and territorial aggressive. They will defend a pillow. If their mate is with them doubly look out.[/quote]

Again, pure ignorance. Terrier breeds aren't territorial at all, for the exact same reason they have dog aggression issues, lack of a pack instinct.

I don't know why anyone would be foolish enough to own a dog, that with a single bite, could cost them every single asset they own as well as their freedom.

That describes every dog there is....

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
However, as the public at large is about as ignorant of dogs as bafriend, a number of breeds are commonly called "pit bulls" including: American Staffordshire Terriers, English Staffordshire Terriers, the APBT, and Bull Terriers.

Actually I knew this because I read the wiki article before I posted this thread. It is real amusing that more than a dozen countrys have gone through the debate we are now and have banned or restricted the breed. It is real interesting that this dog has an association with the public at large as being the pet of choice for dog fighters and drug dealers.

Go on You Tube and enter in "Pit bull" and "attack". See the results you get. Even do a Google image search.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've never owned a pet, so I don't know very much about dogs. Are the owners of these dogs that attack other people held responsible? If I owned a pit bull as a pet and it mauled a child or an adult, I would expect to be charged with manslaughter or something similar.

Do owners of dogs that attack others get charged in the US or Oceania?

In the USA, the owner is held accountable for any bite off its property, as well as any bite on its property under most circumstances.

The owners of the dogs from the OP are facing 20 years.

Upvote 0

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

There's a reason why this study is complete and utter crap, every other dog is listed by specific breed. Whereas for bully breeds this umbrella term of "pit bull type" is used. The reason is simple, it's the only way to produce the desired result.
Then again, let's put this in perspective. In 1997-1998 27 people died because of dog attacks. In 1998 alone 15,935 people were killed in alcohol related car crashes. Why aren't we trying to ban booze and cars, truth is your neighbor's Martini and VW are a hell of a lot more dangerous to you than his Bully breed dog.

Reactions: 3girls2dogs
Upvote 0

lil~peanut

Senior Veteran
Jan 28, 2005
California
✟11,967.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There are many "Bully" Breeds that put under the "PIT BULL" umbrella. I had a Staf bull ter and he was the sweetest, smartest dof I've ever met.

**Attention Dog Owners**

Dont beat your dogs
What was the temperment of his/her parents?
be responsible
keep them social so they are used to people

I once got attacked by a dog and got over 50 stitches (Chow) I've never once been attacked by a "pit bull." A few years ago there was a family in (i think in was lake tahoe) their 6mnth old son was killed by their German Shep. A terrible terrible thing and I've prayed for the family.

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
22 subsonic ammo handles them very well if you're inside city limits. Out in the country anything goes
:)

As long as the dog is unsupecting and relaxed. A pit bull full of andrenalin can soak bullets form a 9mm and sometimes a 12 gauge shotgun!
I read a report of a drug raid in the MidWest were a pit was shot several times with 9mm pistols as she was chewing the leg of an SWAT officer in a drug raid and then shot once with a 12 gauge. She fell to the floor and to the cops dismay she stood again and had to be shot twice!
Dogs can soak bullets better that humans. Big Cats in the other side do not. Cat have a very sensitive nervous system. Dog's is tough.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟437,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
As with all isolated cases, each dog is bred and raised differently...
So we shouldnt say they should be outlawed. But possibly put on a list of dogs that need 'special' parents to raise them, and checked on as they age.

So if someone wants to own one, they should have follow up visits to make sure they arent being trained to attack. It is awful to have to be guaged - but the current ownership of PB's stinks out loud. It really ruins the animals.
Ppl will adopt them 'just so' they can make them mean.

So back to the video, which i am afraid to view, it seems these dogs were apparently raised terrible.

I have a lab/retriever, and he is a pussycat. He is more afraid of ppl than being an attacker...but he lets us know ppl are on our property. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.