Photo of teenage boy praying over homeless man in Baltimore goes viral

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I find it touching that the boy stopped to pray, although I also hope that he left the man a dollar as well.

Valentine 3:16 Man does not live on bread aline, but he doesn't live very long at all without it, either.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing we can scientifically prove is that a meal or shelter would be much more immediately useful for this homeless man than a request for God to do something instead.

Why not both? Missionaries for centuries have brought healing to the bodies and sustenance to the stomach of the poor. They also brought their prayers and the message of Christ for the healing of their souls. A casual look at any Christian missionary will show provision for the physical needs and spiritual needs.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/ongoing-relief-supports-iraqis-terrorized-by-isis/

In fact, one leads to the other. Helping the poor does not require prayer for a Christian to act. They have the example of Christ and His apostles and the church since Pentecost. The young man praying for this homeless man may have known a bit about him. Perhaps his prayers were directed for a specific cause. When I was this young man's age I did work for a Gospel mission home which provided for alcohol and drug addicts who were in recovery. We also took in homeless, unemployed and battered women and their children. It was a small operation, we were a small church but stayed connected with the community in the worst areas for crime and the homeless. We knew the people of the neighborhood and there were some who refused help. We would leave them care packages to get them by and a card with a phone number if they needed help and wanted to come in to the home. The ones who refused were always on our prayer list even if they never gave us a name.

God's solution seems to be to get people to heaven, where everything will be perfect. Well that doesn't really help when you are cold and hungry, here and now.

I think the above is woefully incomplete. As I mentioned above see my references to Christian missionary work for centuries. Add to that it was the Christian church (Catholic West-Eastern Orthodox-East) which established the first hospitals in Europe and the Levant. Not to be confused with the pagan Roman Empire hospices where people went to die.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Close but not quite....
While it would be the first choice to have the commandments removed because government should have no presence in religion or any other mythology, in lieu of that, equal opportunity would be acceptable.

What's mythological about "thou shall not murder?" "Steal?"

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you know where the next prayer miracle is going to happen?....That way you can get your equipment set up....

Indeed. I find it hard to believe after saying "an adulterous generation seeks a sign" God would be willing to participate involuntarily in an atheist science project.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟495,599.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Did social networking make a kind gesture towards the homeless guy?
INCREASING the exposure of an event does not mean the act itself is irrelevant. Had individuals like this police officer who saw it taking place (or other passers by) been affected and helped the man, then you'd agree that prayer could have an impact right?
I mean, I understand the desire to try to negate the positive impact of prayer on a community/culture/person but the fact is, it can definitely have a positive impact; even if it is indirect.

And as I said, I didn't think it would be safe for that teen in that situation to "real" help that guy.
Not only that but prayer can be a "real" help. When people make connections with the homeless (a group of people who accept the worthlessness that society heaps on them), whether it be through a listening ear or a prayer, those moments can have PROFOUND impacts on those people. It helps them feel worth, and I doubt you would have a problem with that happening.
It's a short sighted mistake to think that the ONLY THING homeless people need is "food and shelter". There is deep hurt in almost every one of them. Making them feel human is probably one of the bigger gifts you can give them.

I'm one to complain when NOTHING replaces even kind gestures.
I was talking about the effect of prayer of some supernatural being interceding. Not about the effect of prayer on the community.

By the way, what did Jesus say about praying in the open?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My sentiment is that I only hope he will actually do something once he aquires the means, instead of continuing to pray.

Let me know when you set up a 'go fund me' for the homeless gentlemen.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Creates connections, encourages sympathy and empathy and (ideally) action. it reminds Christians (a community) of their bonds to each other and God. It allows focus and improves health.
Does "God come down and fix everything you pray for"? No. But why should that be the expectation of God for that to occur? God isn't at our beck and call...

What if the benefits of prayer are not DIRECT but indirect? Do they become less important?

I'm sure you realize in our current post modern society the 'god' is government as the be all and cure all. So it is understandable why an anti-theist or non-believer would see God as some sugar daddy at the beck and call of the hedonistic needs of society.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sure you realize in our current post modern society the 'god' is government as the be all and cure all. So it is understandable why an anti-theist or non-believer would see God as some sugar daddy at the beck and call of the hedonistic needs of society.
Herod found that out the hard way in Acts 12:

Acts 12:
21 On an appointed day, Herod, having put on his royal apparel, took his seat on the rostrum and began delivering an address to them.
The people kept crying out, "The voice of a god and not of a man!"
And immediately an angel of the Lord struck him because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and died.…

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟372,038.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I personally think you start from a very false premise. I don't think our current society has made government into "god"; the "self" is god. THAT would be why God would be thought to be at our beck and call.
Frankly, I'm kinda surprised anyone would make that claim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟620,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I personally think you start from a very false premise. I don't think our current society has made government into "god"; the "self" is god. THAT would be why God would be thought to be at our beck and call.
Frankly, I'm kinda surprised anyone would make that claim.
And the government is made up of who.....people we like to think are much like us....self.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟372,038.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I was talking about the effect of prayer of some supernatural being interceding. Not about the effect of prayer on the community.
Fair enough. I guess as a Christian, I see that effect on the community as God's intercession.
I guess we just differ there.

By the way, what did Jesus say about praying in the open?[/QUOTE]
He didn't say anything about JUST praying out in the open. He said don't put on a show, don't be filled with your own self righteousness as you pray in public for the purpose of attracting attention to yourself. Jesus was calling out the boisterous street corner preachers. To quietly have a moment of prayer (as this boy does) in public for someone, does NOT fall under that purvue. Jesus does say to pray in secret, but frankly, I'd consider this moment private and the picture being taken an intrusion on that privacy.

I feel like I should ask you the same question since it is clearly a leading question.
What do you believe Jesus says about praying in public Nithavela?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟372,038.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Let me know when you set up a 'go fund me' for the homeless gentlemen.
Hold on there. I don't think Nithavela suggestion there is that far off. I also hope that finds way to help people and, frankly God does call on us as Christians to do that.
God doesn't call nonbelievers to do that. Nonbelievers have their own rubric whther they should help. While research has shown that their rubric is much more stringent, that doesn't mean they are defectors wrong

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟495,599.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hold on there. I don't think Nithavela suggestion there is that far off. I also hope that finds way to help people and, frankly God does call on us as Christians to do that.
God doesn't call nonbelievers to do that. Nonbelievers have their own rubric whther they should help. While research has shown that their rubric is much more stringent, that doesn't mean they are defectors wrong
I don't have the means to share a lot of time or money with the homeless, although I make a point of giving street musicians money if they are good. Often quite a lot of money.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟620,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't have the means to share a lot of time or money with the homeless, although I make a point of giving street musicians money if they are good. Often quite a lot of money.
Is that a contradictory statement or is it just me?

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟495,599.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Fair enough. I guess as a Christian, I see that effect on the community as God's intercession.
I guess we just differ there.

By the way, what did Jesus say about praying in the open?
He didn't say anything about JUST praying out in the open. He said don't put on a show, don't be filled with your own self righteousness as you pray in public for the purpose of attracting attention to yourself. Jesus was calling out the boisterous street corner preachers. To quietly have a moment of prayer (as this boy does) in public for someone, does NOT fall under that purvue. Jesus does say to pray in secret, but frankly, I'd consider this moment private and the picture being taken an intrusion on that privacy.

I feel like I should ask you the same question since it is clearly a leading question.
What do you believe Jesus says about praying in public Nithavela?[/QUOTE]
I think that it can be summed up as "don't make a spectacle out of your prayer".

And I think that this can be extended to "don't make a spectacle out of other people's prayer, too."

So yeah, I'm with you on the whole "breach of privacy" thing. I wonder what this kid thinks about all of this.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟495,599.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Is that a contradictory statement or is it just me?
That would be just you.

I have enough money to give 10 euro when I meet a good street musician (which happens, in my town, maybe once every 2-3 months), but I don't have enough money to make any kind of impact on the life of all the homeless people in my town.

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None. But it just bothers me when somehow praying is held up as some grand act or gesture. It's not. It's the easiest thing in the world to do, by any objective criteria does not have any measurable effect. You know what this boy did? The full extent of his actions? He made himself look good and scored easy brownie points. Which, by the way, is explicitly forbidden in the bible. It's in Matthew 6:

But hey, it's not like this is a real problem. It's not like our politicians notice that this is an easy way to glorify oneself and offer prayers instead of meaningful steps toward a solution.

Oh... Wait...

The boy wasn't speaking loudly or displaying himself openly. It's kind of difficult to touch someone in full view and broad daylight and not be seen by everybody passing by.

Matthew 6 doesn't necessarily mean that one has to make sure nobody sees or hears them praying; Matthew 6 is speaking against people who do it for the sole reason to look holy. It isn't the fact you are seen doing it, it is the fact you're doing it for attention and nothing about this photo suggests that the boy was attempting to get fame or "brownie points" for doing this.

The boy saw someone who needed prayer, knelt, touched the man and prayed for him and went on his way. I don't think he did anything wrong whatsoever.

And besides, Jesus was seen praying by others, a whole group of people when He resurrected Lazarus. He knelt and prayed to the Father before commanding Lazarus to come forth. Probably a few hundred people saw that.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟620,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That would be just you.

I have enough money to give 10 euro when I meet a good street musician (which happens, in my town, maybe once every 2-3 months), but I don't have enough money to make any kind of impact on the life of all the homeless people in my town.
That is a cop out......

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You've got the money to give street musicians "if they are good" -- "often quite a lot of money", but yet you "don't have the means to share a lot of time or money with the homeless".

That's a contradiction, and a direct one. It's also called being a respecter of persons (something the Bible condemns heavily). You pay musicians "if they are good" -- IE, if they please you -- but yet a homeless man who has nothing to offer you, you have nothing to give to them.

Matthew 21:41-45:

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

Even if you don't believe in Christianity, this basically covers the concept of Karma that even non-believers usually have some sort of belief in.

Upvote 0