Photo of teenage boy praying over homeless man in Baltimore goes viral

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then why is it that every scientific study of prayer has failed to show any effect?

Because you are looking through the lens of the foolish who need to see to believe and have closed their hearts to miracles, so they look to science where science can't explain. My oldest son Michael had a tumor in his leg the doctors thought it was cancer so we had a pastor pray over him then his next appointment the tumor was healing itself according to the doctors. Plus there was no cancer. I call that a miracle. There are many people in the world who have witnessed the power of prayer and the power of our awesome God.

1 corinthians 1:20-21 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Then why is it that every scientific study of prayer has failed to show any effect?
Why do atheists continue with the foolish notion that the supernatural can be proven by the natural?....That God should be "discovered" through the effort of man's "wisdom" or "knowledge"?....And if science can't "prove" God that means he does not exist? It seems the goats are fighting to be first in line at the Great White Throne Judgement.....

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's not turn this into a debate over whether science can prove the impossible. That's a quick and easy way to have this thread shut down.

One thing we can scientifically prove is that a meal or shelter would be much more immediately useful for this homeless man than a request for God to do something instead.

God's solution seems to be to get people to heaven, where everything will be perfect. Well that doesn't really help when you are cold and hungry, here and now.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Another example of someone who severely misunderstands the nature of the objection. There isn't an atheist around who would object to the 10 commandments being posted anywhere or everywhere.... so long as equal opportunity and consideration is given to all others to also post....
What is objectionable, is to provide a special and isolated place or prominence to a single consideration.

You made a poor choice to use that as an example.. might want to just concede that point early or you risk greater losses.
Your intention is to prohibit the posting of the 10 Commandmants; your tactic is to demand everyone else can post whatever they want. You are confusing intent with tactics.....

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Your intention is to prohibit the posting of the 10 Commandmants; your tactic is to demand everyone else can post whatever they want. You are confusing intent with tactics.....
Close but not quite....
While it would be the first choice to have the commandments removed because government should have no presence in religion or any other mythology, in lieu of that, equal opportunity would be acceptable.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
None. But it just bothers me when somehow praying is held up as some grand act or gesture. It's not. It's the easiest thing in the world to do, by any objective criteria does not have any measurable effect. You know what this boy did? The full extent of his actions? He made himself look good and scored easy brownie points. Which, by the way, is explicitly forbidden in the bible. It's in Matthew 6:

But hey, it's not like this is a real problem. It's not like our politicians notice that this is an easy way to glorify oneself and offer prayers instead of meaningful steps toward a solution.

Oh... Wait...
Except he didn't know he was being observed.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, or red paper cups from a national coffee shop...
No one was really offended by that. Not that I could ever find. That supposed controversy received near universal scorn by both Christians and non Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Let's not turn this into a debate over whether science can prove the impossible. That's a quick and easy way to have this thread shut down.

One thing we can scientifically prove is that a meal or shelter would be much more immediately useful for this homeless man than a request for God to do something instead.

God's solution seems to be to get people to heaven, where everything will be perfect. Well that doesn't really help when you are cold and hungry, here and now.
But this was a 15 year old kid, too young to work except farm work or with a hardship exemption. So it's not really fair to criticize him for not doing more.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh I wouldn't say that.. I wouldn't hire this kid if I found a photo of him doing that online.
That would be illegal employment discrimination.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
And how do you legally refuse to hire religious people?
Oh I would never refuse employment for religious reasons.. I never even used to ask or care what religion someone was..

Placing your hand on an unconscious person without their consent, and for your own personal reasons (such as to pray), is not only offensive and insulting, it could also be considered assault.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh I would never refuse employment for religious reasons.. I never even used to ask or care what religion someone was..

Ok.

Placing your hand on an unconscious person without their consent, and for your own personal reasons (such as to pray), is not only offensive and insulting, it could also be considered assault.
The cop who took the photo didn't think so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
John 11 38-44
Did His prayer affect the natural world?
Great. So why can't we measure, observe, and test this? Why can't we just look at the physical effects of prayer to attempt to quantify them?

Except he didn't know he was being observed.
Which is a large part of why Matthew 6:6 explicitly recommends we do our praying behind locked doors in private.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Great. So why can't we measure, observe, and test this? Why can't we just look at the physical effects of prayer to attempt to quantify them?

Which is a large part of why Matthew 6:6 explicitly recommends we do our praying behind locked doors in private.
Notice the reprimand was because they were praying to be seen by others. It's not that all public prayer is wrong, it's false piety that's wrong and vain. There is no indication this boy knew anyone was watching him. He sounded no trumpet before him.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you know where the next prayer miracle is going to happen?....That way you can get your equipment set up....

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It looks like he's going to steal his shoes.

Lol.

Although while I do not believe in the power of prayer I do respect the sentiment.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lol.

Although while I do not believe in the power of prayer I do respect the sentiment.
I agree with this. At least it's not a photo or video of the kid hassling or hurting the guy. We all know it could just as easily have gone that way too, in this crazy world.

Upvote 0