Nov 9, 2013
✟241,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think the philosophy forum should be reinstituted. There is a great deal of philosophical interest on CF and the most cursory perusal of the topics in the abandoned philosophy forum show that most belong uniquely in that forum.

Were there threads in that forum that transgressed into General Apologetics? Of course, that happens in any number of forums, and the standard practice should hold good: move them to General Apologetics. This does nothing to mitigate the fact that there were a great many threads that belonged specifically in the philosophy forum, and the current inability to discuss such topics on CF creates a giant hole in the website.

Thanks for your consideration,
Zippy

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The way I understand it, is only atheists/agnostics can't talk about philosophy right now. They can only talk about ethics/morality.

Sorry if I am repeating what you meant.

We can talk about it all we like, just not on this forum.

This forum doesn't like to debate religion, which is why it closed down GA and philosophy and has partitioned the forums so that only Christians may discuss such matters with other Christians.

This is mainly because it's hard to defend Christianity along these lines in an open forum.

• Agree
Reactions: gudz23
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,564.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
We can talk about it all we like, just not on this forum.

This forum doesn't like to debate religion, which is why it closed down GA and philosophy and has partitioned the forums so that only Christians may discuss such matters with other Christians.

This is mainly because it's hard to defend Christianity along these lines in an open forum.
loooool

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Lol all you like, the forum did exactly as I said for exactly the reasons I said.

In fact I've never been on an atheist forum that ever had a problem discussing religion with whoever wanted to discuss it. This forum however closed GA and stated that it was because it was having an adverse effect on it's mission.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,564.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Lol all you like, the forum did exactly as I said for exactly the reasons I said.
I was mainly laughing at the last line.

There is quite literally nothing that can be brought against Christianity philosophically that upholds. The reason being is it's the truth.

As a person who strove against Christianity for many years philosophically, I lost many times over and over. Good thing God is merciful.

Christ is the stumbling stone, the rock of offence. Crushes the "wise" and favors the meek, uplifts the lowly.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I was mainly laughing at the last line.

There is quite literally nothing that can be brought against Christianity philosophically that upholds. The reason being is it's the truth.

As a person who strove against Christianity for many years philosophically, I lost many times over and over. Good thing God is merciful.

Christ is the stumbling stone, the rock of offence. Crushes the "wise" and favors the meek, uplifts the lowly.

A great place for this discussion would be in a General Apologetics or Philosophy forum, but this forum doesn't abide by that sort of thing. Because having an open discussion doesn't usually go their way.

The closure of the forum is the only evidence that I need to present weakness of Christian apologetics here. Christian apologetics was so iron clad, that the Christian forum abandoned it as an idea of a good thing to do with unbelievers present.

• Agree
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,564.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
A great place for this discussion would be in a General Apologetics or Philosophy forum, but this forum doesn't abide by that sort of thing. Because having an open discussion doesn't usually go their way.

The closure of the forum is the only evidence that I need to present weakness of christian apologetics here.
Perhaps it was the case. A lot of Christians lack wisdom here.

I'd be more than happy to contribute to a philosophy forum. I think it's a good idea.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'd be more than happy to contribute to a philosophy forum. I think it's a good idea.

Yes and I am sure you would make a fine contribution. The loss of the philosophy forum is the loss of something that had value, and the reason is because some people don't like to be questioned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think the philosophy forum should be reinstituted. There is a great deal of philosophical interest on CF and the most cursory perusal of the topics in the abandoned philosophy forum show that most belong uniquely in that forum.

Were there threads in that forum that transgressed into General Apologetics? Of course, that happens in any number of forums, and the standard practice should hold good: move them to General Apologetics. This does nothing to mitigate the fact that there were a great many threads that belonged specifically in the philosophy forum, and the current inability to discuss such topics on CF creates a giant hole in the website.

Thanks for your consideration,
Zippy
There is a forum called 'Christian Philosophy and Ethics', with three subfora on 'Congregation Specific Ethics', 'Debates on Homosexuality - Archived', and 'Debates on Abortion'. It does say 'Christians Only'.

The content isn't very philosophical in any standard sense of what I'd call philosophy. Most of the threads frankly belong elsewhere. Joyce Meyer, the role of a pastor, Freemasonry, circumcision, supersessionism, I don't think any of these topics really belong.

A place to discuss Boethius, Neoplatonism, Lonergan, Poklinghorne, the proofs of Aquinas for the existence of God, Phenomenology, how we know what we know, the basis for ethics, this should be the place. But I don't see a lot of that, or even much of that at all.

As to whether it should also be a place for militant atheists to trade their wares, I don't know. But militant atheists do trade their wares aggressively in many places. I don't know the experience in Christian Forums, but I am not 'philosophically' opposed to atheists partaking in such discussions as long as their effect is not to dominate and destroy. As militant atheists are wont to to.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟241,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is a forum called 'Christian Philosophy and Ethics', with three subfora on 'Congregation Specific Ethics', 'Debates on Homosexuality - Archived', and 'Debates on Abortion'. It does say 'Christians Only'.

The content isn't very philosophical in any standard sense of what I'd call philosophy. Most of the threads frankly belong elsewhere. Joyce Meyer, the role of a pastor, Freemasonry, circumcision, supersessionism, I don't think any of these topics really belong.

Yes, I see those forums as representing a kind of Christian philosophy. I think it would be enriching to have a forum dedicated to philosophy that is not restricted to Christians.

If you look at the topics in the dormant philosophy forum, many are on topic and are questions about the soul, desert, justice, epistemology, the purpose of philosophy, the golden rule, political correctness, the is-ought problem, and economic theory.

As to whether it should also be a place for militant atheists to trade their wares, I don't know. But militant atheists do trade their wares aggressively in many places. I don't know the experience in Christian Forums, but I am not 'philosophically' opposed to atheists partaking in such discussions as long as their effect is not to dominate and destroy. As militant atheists are wont to to.

Leave the atheists out if need be, or require agreement to a Statement of Purpose as was done in the Christian Apologetics forum. The exclusion of agnostics, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, and other such voices from the only available philosophy forums is an unfortunate and unnecessary reality.

The closure of the forum is the only evidence that I need to present weakness of Christian apologetics here. Christian apologetics was so iron clad, that the Christian forum abandoned it as an idea of a good thing to do with unbelievers present.

Despite your claims to the contrary, a General Apologetics forum exists and is open. When this forum was closed, the philosophy forum attracted an undue amount of apologetic topics. Now that we have an apologetics forum open, I see no reason why philosophy should not be able to stand on its own and address philosophical topics.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Despite your claims to the contrary, a General Apologetics forum exists and is open. When this forum was closed, the philosophy forum attracted an undue amount of apologetic topics. Now that we have an apologetics forum open, I see no reason why philosophy should not be able to stand on its own and address philosophical topics.

Ah I see I am incorrect. Then yes, there is no reason to close the philosophy forum because it attracts apologetics threads when you can easily move any such threads to the appropriate forum.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, I see those forums as representing a kind of Christian philosophy. I think it would be enriching to have a forum dedicated to philosophy that is not restricted to Christians.
Maybe it's just me but I expect 'Christian Philosophy' to deal with things that actual named philosophers deal with. I get it that not everybody thinks that way.
If you look at the topics in the dormant philosophy forum, many are on topic and are questions about the soul, desert, justice, epistemology, the purpose of philosophy, the golden rule, political correctness, the is-ought problem, and economic theory.
I guess that's more my expectation.
Leave the atheists out if need be, or require agreement to a Statement of Purpose as was done in the Christian Apologetics forum. The exclusion of agnostics, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, and other such voices from the only available philosophy forums is an unfortunate and unnecessary reality.
I like inclusion, but I have seen with my own eyes how militant atheists can poison things. Of course there are other poisoners in the world, but they have the knack and the will to use it. I'm open to creative devices to allow access to as many as possible while excluding the obnoxious. But I do think the obnoxious should be shown the door.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the christian philosphy one is working quite well.
There is another philosophy forum where people that arent christian tend to go. I think there needs to be a separation because if the atheists want to read what christians think they can but then dont derail the threads cos they cant post.

A christian will start a topic to do with what God thinks and is really seeking His answers on matters wheras a non christian is just not going to care what God thinks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟241,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is another philosophy forum where people that arent christian tend to go.

Which forum are you thinking of? There once was a "secular" philosophy forum, but it has since been closed. I don't think there are any others.

Upvote 0