Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I agree that in Segond it's easier or easily to understand
because I'm Francophone! But, I understand in CEV too! :)
What I also meant was that the way the Segond was translated is clearer; whereas the CEV tends to re-write the whole passage drastically... The KJV, although on the surface may seem harder, also tries to follow the original more closely.

Upvote 0

Trying-To-Be-Good

Apr 25, 2016
Canada
✟8,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I also meant was that the way the Segond was translated is clearer; whereas the CEV tends to re-write the whole passage drastically... The KJV, although on the surface may seem harder, also tries to follow the original more closely.

I'm not really sure to understand what do you mean...
KJV could be a challenge for me to read the Bible in this version.
But, I'm correct with Contemporary English Version,
I read also other versions like Easy to read Version,
Child Version, English Standard Version...

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not really sure to understand what do you mean...
KJV could be a challenge for me to read the Bible in this version.
But, I'm correct with Contemporary English Version,
I read also other versions like Easy to read Version,
Child Version, English Standard Version...
English Standard Version is more formal than the others; in other words, it tries to follow the original more closely.

Anyway, if you read Philippians 2.5-11, about the Lord Jesus going to the Cross and God highly exalting Him: it's a wonderful passage! :)

Upvote 0

Trying-To-Be-Good

Apr 25, 2016
Canada
✟8,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
English Standard Version is more formal than the others; in other words, it tries to follow the original more closely.

Anyway, if you read Philippians 2.5-11, about the Lord Jesus going to the Cross and God highly exalting Him: it's a wonderful passage! :)

Yes, I already read it!
I'll be back tomorrow
so have a good night!...

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

GoodGRACEshus

Apr 25, 2016
Australia
✟17,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
YW, and I love how chapter 4 links joy, prayerfulness and thankfulness, similar to Paul in 1 Thess. 4.16-18

Chapter 4 verse 8: 'Whatever things are true...honest..pure...lovely..of good report...' etc is one of my favorite Bible verses.

Blessings.
Love that verse too. Still in ch4....verses 4-7 and 13 - 19 never fail to uplift the heart grown weary!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Love that verse too. Still in ch4....verses 4-7 and 13 - 19 never fail to uplift the heart grown weary!
I myself keep coming back to chapter 4 of Philippians (as well as to chapter 2). It's a wonderful Epistle, intense, but uplifting.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love the way Paul although imprisoned (and I don't know under how much suffering or danger) had his eyes so focused on the Lord and doing His Will. I admire how he had so much joy and love in his heart. Such a beauty in this book. For it to be here still nearly 2000 years later, such a precious gift from the Lord.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love the way Paul although imprisoned (and I don't know under how much suffering or danger) had his eyes so focused on the Lord and doing His Will. I admire how he had so much joy and love in his heart. Such a beauty in this book. For it to be here still nearly 2000 years later, such a precious gift from the Lord.
Absolutely; the Epistle combines themes such as joy and suffering; with a real focus on the Person and Work of Christ, in His obedience and servant character (chapter 2). I don't tire of re-reading it; my wife and I have read it through repeatedly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just wish there was enough time to read all the parts of the bible that you want to. Have a long reading list in my headand this is on it with a fair few other things. Off to read the bible just now as this post has reminded me I actually have a few moments just now.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just wish there was enough time to read all the parts of the bible that you want to. Have a long reading list in my headand this is on it with a fair few other things. Off to read the bible just now as this post has reminded me I actually have a few moments just now.
"Redeeming the time" (Ephesians 5.16), right? :)

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, my son was restrained in his high chair so had some minutes to focus while he was quiet.

Ouch. Read Ephesians after clicking that link. The Lord has been waking me early a lot of mornings. The time I got up I managed to get the much needed time spent praying and reading His Word. Plus achieved more than I can normally do in 2-3 days. I shall be getting up the next time. It says if He wakes us in the night... or words to that effect.

Thanks

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, my son was restrained in his high chair so had some minutes to focus while he was quiet.

Ouch. Read Ephesians after clicking that link. The Lord has been waking me early a lot of mornings. The time I got up I managed to get the much needed time spent praying and reading His Word. Plus achieved more than I can normally do in 2-3 days. I shall be getting up the next time. It says if He wakes us in the night... or words to that effect.

Thanks
So how old is your son? :) Family time around the Word is very valuable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
21 months. I read to the older ones. He doesn't understand enough. Will be looking for things for him though soon. Christian toddler books etc
So is your wife into reading the Bible with you also? If so, you guys would probably love reading Philippians together!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Phillipians has a lot of joy in it. So does the other epistles. I didn't even realise how positive the Book of Revelation is until last week. Even if I don't fully understand it.
Yes, well books like Philippians and Revelation have a strongly joyful element and reading them all involves 'the washing of water by the word' and has a cleansing influence on our minds even if some of the significance of the words and symbols and concepts escape us sometimes.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0