Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On another thread someone quoted from Philippians. It's an intensely practical Epistle, and one which is deeply rooted in sublime doctrine about the Lord Jesus, to be grasped by faith.

I think that might of been me. :wave:

Apostle Paul was telling us to leave the past behind and look to the future of walking with Christ Jesus now on earth and later living with Him in heaven and the heavenly host forever:
Philippians 3:13-14: "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

The thing Paul was talking about not apprehended (grasped) was the perfection of Christ Jesus in the resurrection from the dead; Philippians 3:10-12:

"that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.":amen:

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
are you online? How do I tell?

If somebody is online; there will be a little orange triangle in the upper left corner of their avatar. Sorry to hear you are in so much pain; as I have had some; may the Father heal you in Jesus name amen.

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If somebody is online; there will be a little orange triangle in the upper left corner of their avatar. Sorry to hear you are in so much pain; as I have had some; may the Father heal you in Jesus name amen.
wow! Thank you. I needed that prayer in Jesus name!

Upvote 0

Luke17:37

Jan 2, 2016
United States
✟12,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Aah, thank you....my grasp of Biblical history is abominable.....

but yes, i use "digging" in conjunction with a picture of one o' these :p

images
Hi. Your comment was from a long time ago. However, if you still feel like this, I recommend reading something like "30 Days to Understanding the Bible" by Max Anders. It is simple but helps you grasp the history from Genesis to the present. Also, if you haven't, I recommend reading at least Genesis and Exodus. The Old Testament is really quite wonderful and points to Christ in so many ways. Without it--and especially without the first three chapters of Genesis--there would be no foundation for our faith. I recommend reading it all, books at a time, starting with the history books.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi. Your comment was from a long time ago. However, if you still feel like this, I recommend reading something like "30 Days to Understanding the Bible" by Max Anders. It is simple but helps you grasp the history from Genesis to the present. Also, if you haven't, I recommend reading at least Genesis and Exodus. The Old Testament is really quite wonderful and points to Christ in so many ways. Without it--and especially without the first three chapters of Genesis--there would be no foundation for our faith. I recommend reading it all, books at a time, starting with the history books.

Thank you, and yes, i am interested in delving into the Bible (especially the Old Testament). I will check out the book.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Im torn as well as Paul as to be here or to go home and be with Christ...most days I have unbearable pain.

So I must think on all good things, right?
Hi; just saw your post.

FYI, Paul, the author of Philippians, said this to the Corinthian Christians (2 Corinthians 12.7-9) :

"7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Very sorry to read of your severe health issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

<username>

Feb 13, 2016
China
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have not read to Phillipians yet, because I've only began reading the Bible properly quite recently.

However, I've seen many empowering verses from online and the one that I found the most rejoicing was from Phillipians. This verse is written in my signature if you'd like to read it as well, I feel very peaceful everytime I do.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have not read to Phillipians yet, because I've only began reading the Bible properly quite recently.

However, I've seen many empowering verses from online and the one that I found the most rejoicing was from Phillipians. This verse is written in my signature if you'd like to read it as well, I feel very peaceful everytime I do.
It's only 4 chapters long, and it's really good to see verses in their context.

Yes, it's such an important verse!

Joy is a very deep theme in the Epistle. In chapter 1, Paul the writer speaks of his joy in prayer and in the fact that the Gospel is being spread. In chapter 2 he wants his readers to rejoice with him, and there is a wonderful passage in chapter 2 also - verses 5 thru 11 - about the Lord Jesus: "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." In chapter 3, Paul encourages his readers to 'rejoice in the Lord' (verse 1) even as they must be careful about those who oppose the Gospel and as they must keep looking up to the Saviour. Chapter 4 calls Paul's readers Paul's joy, and he encourages them to rejoice always, with prayer and thanksgiving, and he promises that if they do this they will know the immense peace of God. Yes, joy is a very deep theme in the Epistle.

Reactions: <username>
Upvote 0

<username>

Feb 13, 2016
China
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's only 4 chapters long, and it's really good to see verses in their context.

Yes, it's such an important verse!

Joy is a very deep theme in the Epistle. In chapter 1, Paul the writer speaks of his joy in prayer and in the fact that the Gospel is being spread. In chapter 2 he wants his readers to rejoice with him, and there is a wonderful passage in chapter 2 also - verses 5 thru 11 - about the Lord Jesus: "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." In chapter 3, Paul encourages his readers to 'rejoice in the Lord' (verse 1) even as they must be careful about those who oppose the Gospel and as they must keep looking up to the Saviour. Chapter 4 calls Paul's readers Paul's joy, and he encourages them to rejoice always, with prayer and thanksgiving, and he promises that if they do this they will know the immense peace of God. Yes, joy is a very deep theme in the Epistle.
I look forwards to reading Phillipians!

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi; just saw your post.

FYI, Paul, the author of Philippians, said this to the Corinthian Christians (2 Corinthians 12.7-9) :

"7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Apparently, we are to flee the devil, because this messenger is not from god, but satan. Therefore, I am not to submit to it!
Hi; just saw your post.

I found this article very helpful for understanding these verses:

http://www.awmi.net/reading/teaching-articles/pauls_thorn/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, we are to flee the devil, because this messenger is not from god, but satan. Therefore, I am not to submit to it!

I found this article very helpful for understanding these verses:

http://www.awmi.net/reading/teaching-articles/pauls_thorn/

Thank you u2spicy for that link to Andrew Wommack's article on Paul's "thorn in the flesh"; this is what I have come to believe over time; that we can expect to be healed, and others, when we pray to the Father and/or Jesus and ARE healed by His strips.

Upvote 0

Trying-To-Be-Good

Apr 25, 2016
Canada
✟8,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Thus found in fashion as a man,
All blameless, spotless, pure,
He was obedient unto death,
Sin's judgment to endure."

Can you tell me what is the verse of this sentence?
I'll check on Bible Gateway section Contemporary English Version
to better understand! :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you tell me what is the verse of this sentence?
I'll check on Bible Gateway section Contemporary English Version
to better understand! :)
If you read Philippians 2.5-11 you'll see; it's a wonderful passage! :)

It might not be clear in the CEV, but in the Segond it may come over well.

Upvote 0

Trying-To-Be-Good

Apr 25, 2016
Canada
✟8,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you read Philippians 2.5-11 you'll see; it's a wonderful passage! :)

It might not be clear in the CEV, but in the Segond it may come over well.

I agree that in Segond it's easier or easily to understand
because I'm Francophone! But, I understand in CEV too! :)

Upvote 0