Pew Survey: US media bias ranks worst in the world

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
The media has been skewed since there was media. I never understood why people believe everything fallible, corrupt humans tell them just because of their authoritative position.

However, polls are ridiculously terrible at objectivity. Statistics cannot be objective; they need substantative context. With that said, how many people were polled, and in what areas? What were their religious and political alignment? Do they have children?

Just putting a statistic - whether it is a civilian, CNN, Fox or a professor - is misleading at best. Polls shouldn't dictate the objectivity of your life.

Absolutely.

Moreover, a poll that indicates the public believes there to be significant media bias doesn't imply that the bias aligns with the perceived bias put forth by the OP. A person who distrusts the bias in FoxNews has the same poll answer as the person who distrusts the bias in CNN. Yes, "Fake News" abounds, but CNN isn't the primary source (it is a source, to be sure)

Yes, there's absolutely bias from essentially all outlets. Mainstream media (which includes FoxNews as well as CNN and MSNBC) is extremely pro-establishment first, and then pro a political party (GOP for Fox, Dem for CNN and MSNBC).

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
From the "Who wants to talk about 'Fake News'?", files: Pew: US media bias ranks worst in the world

The survey found that just 21 percent of Americans supportive of Trump and Republicans believe the media is fair. But it also found that just 55 percent of those who don’t back Trump also believe the media is not fairly covering politics in the U.S.​

A media type yesterday, as Trump is leaving an MLK event, "Mr. President, are you racist?" Many times.

I mean how dumb a question is that. Even if you believe he is, as if he's going to turn around and say, "You know what? Yes. Yes I am."

Idiotic question. Just really lower than Jr High Newspaper content level.

• Agree
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
A media type yesterday, as Trump is leaving an MLK event, "Mr. President, are you racist?" Many times.

I mean how dumb a question is that. Even if you believe he is, as if he's going to turn around and say, "You know what? Yes. Yes I am."

Right? Expecting people to openly admit their own bias is a bit of an ask.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, "Fake News" abounds, but CNN isn't the primary source (it is a source, to be sure)
I generally agree with your post, but I think organizations like CNN and FOX cannot be called "fake news". Spun news, yes, fake, no.

The real fake news - the outright lies - is exclusively the domain of right-wing places like Info-Wars and Breitbart.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a perfectly legitimate question, although we know the answer already.

The role of a free press in a democratic state is to hold the powers to account. You have a racist, and an otherwise clearly incompetent and dangerous person in the highest office in the land. Given this disturbing reality, it is the responsibility of the press to act as a force of moderation and accountability - an important role they have always performed.

Mr. Trump, as experts have noted, is displaying all the behaviours of an authoritarian. And his efforts to stifle and otherwise discredit the important democratic institution that is a free press only underscores this.

What is so shocking and disturbing is that his base are willing accomplices in this textbook example of authoritarian behaviour. Well, they were conned in November 2016 to our collective harm, so perhaps we should not be surprised.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

yeah. Racists rarely DO admit theyre racist do they?
Good point to make....here on christian forums.

• Winner
Reactions: Gadarene
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It's a perfectly legitimate question, although we know the answer already.

The role of a free press in a democratic state is to hold the powers to account. You have a racist, and an otherwise clearly incompetent and dangerous person in the highest office in the land. Given this disturbing reality, it is the responsibility of the press to act as a force of moderation and accountability - an important role they have always performed.

Mr. Trump, as experts have noted, is displaying all the behaviours of an authoritarian. And his efforts to stifle and otherwise discredit the important democratic institution that is a free press only underscores this.

What is so shocking and disturbing is that his base are willing accomplices in this textbook example of authoritarian behaviour. Well, they were conned in November 2016 to our collective harm, so perhaps we should not be surprised.

THis post is a swamp of hyperbole.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
THis post is a swamp of hyperbole.
What, specifically, is hyperbole? And please don't evade as you did here:

Liza B said:
I disagree because Internet Warriors throw around "evidence please" for the most ridiculous of statements, things everyone might simply take for granted.

To which I responded:

expos4ever said:
Give us one example.

Just one.

And, of course, no example was forthcoming.

• Winner
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think everyone knows that there is bias that exists on both sides.

However, there a few important distinctions that need to be made and aspects that need to be considered when discussing this.

1) Bias doesn't necessarily = "fake"
- one can have a bias and still present factual information, that's vastly different than flat out lying or attaching misleading headlines and misinformation to your articles and coverage. That's why fact checking is such an important aspect.

2) Not all outlets are equally bias, and the fact that bias may exist on one side, doesn't invalidate the opinion of those pointing out misinformation on the other side.

3) Everyone and their mom tries to tries to make a very weak acknowledgement of the bias by attaching the disclaimer *but the other side's worse

4) Information and data accuracy isn't a subjective concept. When comparing media outlets to determine who is more inaccurate, there is a right answer to that question. We know through fact checking and hard data that outlets like PBS, CNN, and NPR have a higher level of accuracy than outlets like Fox, Breitbart, MSNBC, and Salon. If someone is writing a report/article on "What is the sum of 2 + 2?", there are right and wrong answers to that and the leaning of the outlets has no impact on that. The fact that Fox leans right and CNN leans left is irrelevant. If they say "4", they're right, if they saying anything else, they're wrong.

5) People want to conflate the concepts of Accuracy and "Agrees with my position" when rating outlets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The explosion of online news has allowed any lunatic with financial backing (Steve Bannon, for example, backed by the Mercer family) to get a big soapbox. Those with little financial backing can get started on a shoestring and hope their posts go viral.

News sources aren't "fake" because of their biases. There are "fake" news sites that are both liberal and conservative, and both should be shunned.

I am a liberal, but I notice that Fox News plays it pretty safe. It usually doesn't make inflammatory, unfounded accusations; it just ignores some of the most pertinent stories out there no matter how many sources have verified it. Fox News viewers live in this fantasy world where Trump isn't threatening to bomb North Korea one day and deport and exclude third-world immigrants on the next, using foul, inflammatory language.

As to bias, if our country is in grave danger (and I believe it is), publicizing evidence of that danger isn't "biased," it's patriotic.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
You guys realize all of the fake news stuff is just training the masses to accept the already passed Countering Foreign Propoganda and Disinformation Act. Censorship. Limited speech.

And, the States are using the inherent social ignorance and prejudices of the population to seed support and acceptance.

Now that Fake News is almost a phrase without laughable diction, the entire paradigm is ripe to be rewritten.

I do have two serious questions: 1)has anyone read the CFPAD bill, and 2) does you care?

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Absolutely.

Moreover, a poll that indicates the public believes there to be significant media bias doesn't imply that the bias aligns with the perceived bias put forth by the OP. A person who distrusts the bias in FoxNews has the same poll answer as the person who distrusts the bias in CNN. Yes, "Fake News" abounds, but CNN isn't the primary source (it is a source, to be sure)

Yes, there's absolutely bias from essentially all outlets. Mainstream media (which includes FoxNews as well as CNN and MSNBC) is extremely pro-establishment first, and then pro a political party (GOP for Fox, Dem for CNN and MSNBC).

That "same polling strength" is an often overlooked attribute of interpreting statistics.

There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1) Bias doesn't necessarily = "fake"
- one can have a bias and still present factual information, that's vastly different than flat out lying or attaching misleading headlines and misinformation to your articles and coverage. That's why fact checking is such an important aspect.
I agree. And at the risk of seeming to be provocative, I suggest it is clearly, in our day at least, the "right" that has the lion's share of the "flat-out" lying.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

How is poking a subject known to be susceptible to ill thought out self-destructive responses fake news?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
From the "Who wants to talk about 'Fake News'?", files: Pew: US media bias ranks worst in the world

The survey found that just 21 percent of Americans supportive of Trump and Republicans believe the media is fair. But it also found that just 55 percent of those who don’t back Trump also believe the media is not fairly covering politics in the U.S.​
:doh: The people that fall for fake news think the news is fake. Surprise, surprise, surprise!

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I was really surprised to learn years ago that they went around with an RF "sniffing" truck to see who had TV on which channel. It was completely different from the US when TV stations still wanted to have viewers. That was back when TV was still completely free in this country, before cable TV became a big thing. Back then, all the broadcast stations were delighted to increase their viewership as they could then increase the price of their commercials. Now, those same stations here expect viewers to pay for watching their commercial laden channels. (I don't.)

I wonder if they're still trying to tax outside water spigots?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm racist. I don't know if I'm a racist. But I've said and done things that would be considered racist.
At least you admit it.

Notice the logic there though that a denial would be the same as admitting racism, anyway. The old Catch-22.

Upvote 0