London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Don't they have some kind of diversity group which looks over everything that's written before it is aired, to ensure it doesn't offend people?

Eh, maybe, but if they do, they’re doing a darn poor job of it, if the “Real Housewives of ISIS” sketch furore was anything to go buy

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Ok, and that’s how their system works.

I’m not seeing a point here.

(Kinda staggered I have to defend the idea of people paying for a service, public or otherwise, to people who tend to complain when that doesn’t happen in the US but k)

I'm not really complaining, I said it amused me. It's just the idea that the BBC seems really shocked that people are turning down their services as it goes into the gutter. Again, just second-hand, but I've heard people say that they have had people come in and look around their house/flat to ensure there's no secret hook up.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm not really complaining, I said it amused me. It's just the idea that the BBC seems really shocked that people are turning down their services as it goes into the gutter. Again, just second-hand, but I've heard people say that they have had people come in and look around their house/flat to ensure there's no secret hook up.

I’ll dispute how accurately their “detectors” are supposed to work - if they’re going to check, be accurate - but in principle I have little objection to the idea of checking people have paid their licenses existing.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Less snarkily on BBC funding, I don’t know if I’d call NPR or PBS comparable to BBC - neither is state-owned, for one although NPR partly is.

On the other hand, BBC radio is also free.

Let me ask you a question I've always wondered: is it true that while they don't have regular ads, BBC shows have their own ads about other shows/channels? If so... what's the point of no ads?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Let me ask you a question I've always wondered: is it true that while they don't have regular ads, BBC shows have their own ads about other shows/channels? If so... what's the point of no ads?
The BBC's own ads are a public service.
Winking_smiley.gif

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

They don’t interrupt their own shows, which is surprisingly awesome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You mean Standards and Practices, or the censor?

Literal censor. One of the Monty Python guys apparently refuses to ever work with them again because of it, IIRC.

They do not. They only air between shows, largely to give people a pee break and time to make more tea.

Ah, okay.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Based on what I've seen, we censor a lot more here than the BBC does.

Ehhhhhhh you still don’t have an official censor body though, which the BBFC technically is, though outright bans are incredibly rare.

We still totally get to see boobs more tho.

Tends to be video games that get BBFC bans IMO, but even then that’s rare. Manhunt 2 didn’t get released over here, for example. Though it’s not illegal to own and not exactly hard to get hold of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think you may be conflating the BBC with the BBFC here.

I was listening to a podcast about it one time, so maybe. From what I recall, there's some group that has to check over episodes, etc. before they're filmed, to ensure it isn't somehow phobic or racist in some manner. IDK.

Upvote 0

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

The bbc run trailers, some times between programs. Never during programs. They are not ads as they are not selling anything.
I do not watch programs with ads, i record them, and watch them later and jump the ads.

The bbbc knows who has paid their licence fee. If you do not pay expect a knock on your door. Some of the money collected now goes to pay for childrens british made programs on commercial stations, as they have got so abysmal. ( Mostly imports from the Usa)

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps if Americans didn't repeatedly find their news media lying to them, the cries of 'Fake News' would fall on deaf ears.
Please provide examples of the media lying to people.

• Haha
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Equally important is to understand the credibility of one's news sources. Many news sites regularly let bias over-rule objectivity and seriously distort the "news".

Credibility to some folks is "If I didn't think of it and don't agree with it, it can't be true".

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I agree. I just find the BBC highly amusing since they're known to go door to door to people who stop paying for their crappy services, and inspecting to make sure people really aren't watching their junk.

They were doing that when I was there 35 years ago, they still haven't progressed eh?

Upvote 0