USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying they did not eat as much meat as the average American?

That is likely true. They probably didn't take in as many calories overall as the average American.

But there has never been a stable culture developed anywhere on earth that has been actually vegan. Even Jainism allows dairy and eggs, provided the animals are cared for properly. That's because ultimately human beings are not herbivores, and maintaining health with on a herbivore diet requires use of technology that has only been available relatively recently.
They were all vegan before the flood.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were all vegan before the flood.

There is no scriptural assertion that they were all vegan before the flood.

In fact, we know explicitly that they were not vegan--because vegans don't wear animal products--scripture explicitly says that God dressed Adam and Eve in dead animal skins.

Conjecturally, what did God then do with the dead animals the skins were from? Did God allow the killing of animals only for clothing? Why? Wouldn't wool and woven plants do? And was Abel herding animals only for sacrifice?

God preserved "clean" and "unclean" animals. Those terms are in reference to what animals were acceptable for food. The clean animals proportions (acceptable as food) were much higher than those for the unclean animals. Inasmuch as not all unclean animals are predators, that factor alone does not account for the numerical difference on the ark. For instance, camels are not predators, yet camels are unclean.

Of course, after the deluge, animal resources were confined only to what had been brought aboard the ark, and that is an explanation for why there needed to be more clean animals than unclean: Clean animals would be readily available for food husbandry.

But with the numbers so depleted, it was necessary for God to explicitly advise Noah that both plants and animals were available as food.

• Useful
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no scriptural assertion that they were all vegan before the flood.

In fact, we know explicitly that they were not vegan--because vegans don't wear animal products--scripture explicitly says that God dressed Adam and Eve in dead animal skins.

Conjecturally, what did God then do with the dead animals the skins were from? Did God allow the killing of animals only for clothing? Why? Wouldn't wool and woven plants do? And was Abel herding animals only for sacrifice?

God preserved "clean" and "unclean" animals. Those terms are in reference to what animals were acceptable for food. The clean animals proportions (acceptable as food) were much higher than those for the unclean animals. Inasmuch as not all unclean animals are predators, that factor alone does not account for the numerical difference on the ark. For instance, camels are not predators, yet camels are unclean.

Of course, after the deluge, animal resources were confined only to what had been brought aboard the ark, and that is an explanation for why there needed to be more clean animals than unclean: Clean animals would be readily available for food husbandry.

But with the numbers so depleted, it was necessary for God to explicitly advise Noah that both plants and animals were available as food.
We do not know either way if they used animals for more than offerings and clothing. But we know God designed us to eat veggies with his positive command:

“And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.” (Genesis 1:29–30) (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We do not know either way if they used animals for more than offerings and clothing. But we know God designed us to eat veggies with his positive command:

“And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.” (Genesis 1:29–30) (KJV 1900)

We know how animals fell and became carnivores.

The fact is that post-deluge, God provided for humans to eat animals. He did not do that for no reason, and God carefully directed which and how animals are to be consumed.

By asserting that we should not eat animals when God explicitly stated otherwise, you are presuming to know more about us than God knows.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know how animals fell and became carnivores.

The fact is that post-deluge, God provided for humans to eat animals. He did not do that for no reason, and God carefully directed which and how animals are to be consumed.

By asserting that we should not eat animals when God explicitly stated otherwise, you are presuming to know more about us than God knows.
That's OK but knowing what we know today, is the typical American diet any better than smoking? Are we good stewards for God's temple, our body?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's OK but knowing what we know today, is the typical American diet any better than smoking? Are we good stewards for God's temple, our body?

Move that goalpost, move that goalpost, move that goalpost!

Yay, team.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ironically I'm eating a pizza with double bacon on it. Bring home the bacon!

Really, are you saying that after reading this fine and very helpful and thoughtful thread you are now "pigging" down on some bacon?

Jeepers -- speechless here!

Goats are spinning circles with their eyes closed!

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Now that's what don't make sense to me that Peta thinks they're smarter than Noah and God.

Danger Will Robinson Danger.

M

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really, are you saying that after reading this fine and very helpful and thoughtful thread you are now "pigging" down on some bacon?

Some goat stew would go down rather nicely as well.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some goat stew would go down rather nicely as well.

Has anybody seen my goats they're not in their pen?

Their suitcases are also gone!

I hate that!

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, actually.

Genesis 4:2: Now Abel was a keeper of sheep
Abel wore clothes and probably provided them for others. God said to Noah after the flood: “Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.” (Genesis 9:3) (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our modern diets are a mess, but it's not the fault of meat. Our grocery shelves are toxic. Even the vegetables are polluted. If a person was careful how he ate, he could easily include meat. Anyone who wants to avoid meat, is fine with me. That's his personal choice, but that's as far as he can go with me.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Jeepers -- speechless here!

Goats are spinning circles with their eyes closed!

M-Bob

LOL! I apologize Bob, but i like bacon.

You gotta admit, doesn't this look yummmm-mers?:

BACON cheeseburger.jpg

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Academic claims idioms like "bringing home the bacon" will be phased out as veganism rises

"While these phrases may seem harmless, they carry meaning and can send mixed signals to students about the relationship between humans and animals and can normalize abuse," said PETA in one of their blog posts. "Teaching students to use animal-friendly language can cultivate positive relationships between all beings and help end the epidemic of youth violence toward animals."

Bring home the goats.
MB

:doh:

It never ceases to amaze me just how ridiculous some people can be. Animals don’t know what “bringing home the bacon even means”. So how does this phrase have any effect at all on animals? How does not saying things like this cultivate positive relationships with all beings? There are many carnivores in the animal kingdom and I’m one of them. If I offend an animal before I eat it it’s not going to be offended very long so WHO CARES?!! IM HUNGRY!! GIMME ANOTHER PORK CHOP AND ANOTHER CHICKEN LEG!!

Upvote 0