Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Academic claims idioms like "bringing home the bacon" will be phased out as veganism rises

"While these phrases may seem harmless, they carry meaning and can send mixed signals to students about the relationship between humans and animals and can normalize abuse," said PETA in one of their blog posts. "Teaching students to use animal-friendly language can cultivate positive relationships between all beings and help end the epidemic of youth violence toward animals."

Bring home the goats.
MB

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Veganism isn't going to do much rising. Not true veganism.

And the cracks are already there whenever you see any "vegan" fake meat or "vegan" fake leather or "vegan" fake fur. Veganism isn't merely diet, it's a philosophy of life. A real vegan wouldn't have anything to do with fake animal products.

There are not and won't ever be a major percentage of people going that route.

Moreover, veganism depends too much on technology to become very widespread.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Academic claims idioms like "bringing home the bacon" will be phased out as veganism rises

"While these phrases may seem harmless, they carry meaning and can send mixed signals to students about the relationship between humans and animals and can normalize abuse," said PETA in one of their blog posts. "Teaching students to use animal-friendly language can cultivate positive relationships between all beings and help end the epidemic of youth violence toward animals."

Bring home the goats.
MB

There's an epidemic of youth violence towards animals? Do they just mean people who eat meat?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Bringing home the bacon" or "killing two birds with one stone" will soon be phrases of the past as the rise of veganism "dethrones" meat-related metaphors from the English language, an academic has claimed.
Such expressions - which Dr Shareena Hamzah of Swansea University said came from the "power" associated with meat - would go out of fashion as awareness of vegan issues "filter through our consciousness to produce new modes of expression".

Phrases like 'bringing home the bacon' will go out of fashion as veganism grows, says academic

The language expert said the negative effects of eating meat and meat consumption on the climate could force people to deliberately avoid powerful meat metaphors.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's an epidemic of youth violence towards animals? Do they just mean people who eat meat?
Yes. And using animal products for other things like leather coats and cases.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It's an amazing cause these people have taken up.

I guess there's something for everybody.

So PETA is telling teachers to get with the new program. My wife teaches and we live in a steak eating community. This is not going to go over well. Goats are shaking their heads.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's an amazing cause these people have taken up.

I guess there's something for everybody.

So PETA is telling teachers to get with the new program. My wife teaches and we live in a steak eating community. This is not going to go over well. Goats are shaking their heads.

M-Bob

What kind of influence do they have over there? Are people in professions like teaching expected to listen to them, I mean is that an official expectation?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vegetarians...
full

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Bringing home the bacon" or "killing two birds with one stone" will soon be phrases of the past as the rise of veganism "dethrones" meat-related metaphors from the English language, an academic has claimed.
Such expressions - which Dr Shareena Hamzah of Swansea University said came from the "power" associated with meat - would go out of fashion as awareness of vegan issues "filter through our consciousness to produce new modes of expression".

Phrases like 'bringing home the bacon' will go out of fashion as veganism grows, says academic

The language expert said the negative effects of eating meat and meat consumption on the climate could force people to deliberately avoid powerful meat metaphors.

I doubt if that's going to happen anytime soon. Not many Welsh people are going to stop talking about lamb and mutton.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PETA is now starting a program so as to help people teach their cats how to stop eating gophers, mice, rats and birds.

It ain't a pretty sight this I will admit but, according to our cats, God just made them this way.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The goats hate this guy's voice in this video but, the PETA message is shared loud and clear.

Hope that I now I don't feel guilty tonight when I bite into that big fat hamburger. Or have another one of those guilt-filled PETA nightmares.

Got the goats on time out.
They want to donate to PETA.
Where's our counselors phone number?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PETA is now starting a program so as to help people teach their cats how to stop eating gophers, mice, rats and birds.

It ain't a pretty sight this I will admit but, according to our cats, God just made them this way.

M-Bob

Perhaps they could send someone over to speak with the bear who killed some of our sheep this year? I'd be happy to show them into the forest so that they can go and politely wake the bear up for a nice chat about how the sheeps hurty hurty when he/she kills them, I'm sure Mr bear would be most welcoming of a new snack er sorry person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps they could send someone over to speak with the bear who killed some of our sheep this year?

I find bears to be aggressive at times and not very loving. I respect them to the point that I do kind of fear them. Guess I have read too many bear killing or hurting people stories.

I agree PETA should start with the Bears. Once they have calmed all of the bears down I would be more apt to listen to their message.

Might even throw away my leather belts. Guess a bungee cord would work?

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find bears to be aggressive at times and not very loving. I respect them to the point that I do kind of fear them. Guess I have read too many bear killing or hurting people stories.

I agree PETA should start with the Bears. Once they have calmed all of the bears down I would be more apt to listen to their message.

Might even throw away my leather belts. Guess a bungee cord would work?

M-Bob

Well yes, I mean who needs natural materials? Who needs anything from the real world? I don't see why we all just shouldn't hide away in floating tents sensitively made out of recycled consumer guilt, and let the animals lead the planet. After all, everyone knows that carnivorous animals would only rip to shreds and consume those people they once heard talking about bacon, right?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well yes, I mean who needs natural materials? Who needs anything from the real world? I don't see why we all just shouldn't hide away in floating tents sensitively made out of recycled consumer guilt, and let the animals lead the planet. After all, everyone knows that carnivorous animals would only rip to shreds and consume those people they once heard talking about bacon, right?

Payback time for all of the animal eaters. You all shall report to the Town Square Saturday morning at 8 a.m. you will be flogged with rattlesnakes.
M-Bob

• Haha
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0