Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I recently had to make a very difficult decision in my life, and as I look at everything leading up to the decision in retrospect, I find myself intrigued by God's part in the decision. It made me think up a model of how God values our free will, but I wanted to discuss it here to see if you all think it has biblical support. So here it is:

Let's say with this decision, I had choice A and choice B. As I struggled to make this big decision, I started going to my family as well as to Christian mentors in my life for advice. They all seemed to suggest choice A, which was not the one I wanted to hear. I wondered if God was speaking through these people who are closest to me in my life.

Just when I was struggling the most with this, I also met with a pastor of mine (who barely knows me), and his advice was quite different from what I'd heard so far. He said that sometimes in life we "over-spiritualize" some decisions, believing that one choice will surely ruin our lives. He said God does not work that way, that God values our free will and lets us choose. When it comes to decisions that have no clear right and wrong, He leaves it up to us and promises that He'll be there through either choice.

So based on these two experiences I had, I thought about what God was really trying to get me to understand. After thinking about it, I concluded that God really wanted me to know that the choice was mine and that He would be there either way, BUT He was advising one way over the other - He was advising choice A over choice B.

Does this sound biblically and experientially accurate? When faced with a decision with no clear right and wrong, does God leave it up to us? If so, will God try to nudge us one way over the other?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I recently had to make a very difficult decision in my life, and as I look at everything leading up to the decision in retrospect, I find myself intrigued by God's part in the decision. It made me think up a model of how God values our free will, but I wanted to discuss it here to see if you all think it has biblical support. So here it is:

Let's say with this decision, I had choice A and choice B. As I struggled to make this big decision, I started going to my family as well as to Christian mentors in my life for advice. They all seemed to suggest choice A, which was not the one I wanted to hear. I wondered if God was speaking through these people who are closest to me in my life.

Just when I was struggling the most with this, I also met with a pastor of mine (who barely knows me), and his advice was quite different from what I'd heard so far. He said that sometimes in life we "over-spiritualize" some decisions, believing that one choice will surely ruin our lives. He said God does not work that way, that God values our free will and lets us choose. When it comes to decisions that have no clear right and wrong, He leaves it up to us and promises that He'll be there through either choice.

So based on these two experiences I had, I thought about what God was really trying to get me to understand. After thinking about it, I concluded that God really wanted me to know that the choice was mine and that He would be there either way, BUT He was advising one way over the other - He was advising choice A over choice B.

Does this sound biblically and experientially accurate? When faced with a decision with no clear right and wrong, does God leave it up to us? If so, will God try to nudge us one way over the other?

Thanks for reading.
Many decision have not much consequence. Others are huge. God certainly leads us and guides us. He is always speaking. Often, we are so full of "noise" (emotions in full swing, thoughts running through the mind) that we do not hear clearly. One of the most helpful guides is peace. If you are at peace in your heart over a decision then it is a good indication that it is the right one. I've never made a good decision when I've been in turmoil. Get mad at the boss then quit? Not a good idea. Always go to God first.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's accurate to say that God "tries to nudge us" between decisions.

Some things may be purely our choice - no clear "right" answer as you say. Since you asked in Traditional Theology, I think the strongest support from historical ethos would be ...

(1) We are all given the dignity of free will to make choices - no man is a puppet (rather we are created in the image of God)

(2) Seeking guidance from others who may have wisdom, spiritual insight, experience, or the grace of God is a wise and cautious thing to do

(3) Whatever we choose, whatever comes to us in life, God works through circumstances to help us work toward our salvation - and once again, we can either cooperate with Him or not

If something REALLY mattered and needed to go this way or that, God could make it happen.

I'm not sure how all this applies to your particular choice. But these are common guidelines Christianity has often quoted.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Thanks for reading.

Well, although you may choose either A or B, God will inevitably use it, because he ordained it for a purpose. It is hidden in his secret counsel what choice you would make, willingly and freely. And after all that has been said and done you will realize that it was not an accident for what you chose, even if it was one with direct consequences, because it was already planned ahead and carried out by God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Thanks for reading.
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, faithfulness, kindness, gentleness, goodness, patience and self-control. If what you are deciding is in the context of these, then your decision has to be good and appropriate.

The Scriptures says that if we delight ourselves in the Lord, He will give us the desires of our heart. This means that if we are seeking the kingdom of God and His righteousness, then we can do as we like in terms of life decisions, because our attitude toward Christ is right.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have always believed that God has a 'better best'.

I would have thought that seeking His preference is the best course of action. However as you have not disclosed what A and B are we can't know how significant the difference might be. Maybe it is a red car or a blue car?????

As most of our guidance is via desires that He plants in our hearts - I have prayed consistently one prayer each day - "God give me this day the desires to do Your will and the grace to be obedient."

The more I long for being in His will the more specific the right way becomes.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
St. Augustine wrote (Confessions I believe) about having two choices; neither one good; and having to chose the 'lesser of two evils'. When faced with difficult decissions where both seem right or both choices are less than ideal; use prayerful consideration. Pray about them, ask for insight and understanding.

As others have written here, when no clear answer, God will sustain those who are faithful to Him; and the work of the Holy Spirit continues, not because of our choices, but despite our choices.

Upvote 0