Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fr. Dwight Longenecker

Advice for Confused Catholics

Social media is abuzz with the news that Pope Francis has given approval for the blessing of same sex unions. While upholding the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman for life, some say he has also allowed the blessing of same sex unions according to the “pastoral discernment” of individual priests.
This is the takeaway from the Holy Father’s answers to five cardinals who have asked for clarification. However, we must hope for some further clarification as to what this actually means in practice. Some commentators say it is an opening to the blessing of same sex unions. Others say it is simply an opening for a person or persons with same sex attraction to receive a prayer of blessing to lead a better life. The strength (and weakness) of the ambiguous statement is that both sides will take it to mean whatever they want it to mean. We need to wait to see how much substance there is to the pope’s answer, but it does seem that his pastoral opinion on this matter has been expressed, and I expect folks like Fr James Martin and those who work at New Ways Ministry will pick up the fumble and run for a touchdown.

I will get on to some larger questions in a moment, but if it is true that blessings of same sex unions are permissible, let us consider the practical implications. Firstly, consider the burden this places upon already stressed and overworked clergy. So now I, as a parish priest, must make this decision? What if I “discern” not to conduct a blessing for a same sex couple? What if my decision upsets them and their friends and family? What if they create a media storm over my decision? What if I am hounded and harassed by activists?

Thank you Holy Father, for handing me a scorpion. Your weakness and allowing yourself to be bullied by sentimentalists has thrown me and all your priests under the bus.

Continued below.