Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Need to stop getting your information on the Church from the news. The secular media is always going to try to twist things so that they can report something exciting.

While of course being Orthodox, I'm supportive of your interest in the Orthodox Church (Marian Catholic) ... Erose is right.

I wouldn't trust what the media says about any part of any Church. They are going to do their best to twist it into something sensational. Their interest is in getting people's attention, and scandal is the best way to do that (unfortunately). Their interest is not in reporting Truth, sadly.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
While of course being Orthodox, I'm supportive of your interest in the Orthodox Church (Marian Catholic) ... Erose is right.

I wouldn't trust what the media says about any part of any Church. They are going to do their best to twist it into something sensational. Their interest is in getting people's attention, and scandal is the best way to do that (unfortunately). Their interest is not in reporting Truth, sadly.

Trying to spin things for a story can be a problem.

But just as often I find the problem is just that the people doing the reporting don't know enough about the subject to really get it right.

I find the same is true in science reporting, and probably in a lot of other spheres where there is some more specialized knowledge involved.

Even some religious news sources can get it wrong because they just don't go into the background of the question enough. In the case of Francis, for example, there seems to be a lot of chatter about how he might make changes around how to deal with divorced or remarried Catholics. Even religious news sites seem to be all woe or all smiles about this, but few seem to really give any kind of in depth understanding of how marriage and divorce have been treated historically at various times and how the current situation came to be. At best, they treat the events since Vat II.

Well, I don't think it is probably possible to get much sense of what could legitimately be possible now, or what would be illegitimate, if people don't understand how it has changed in the past.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Trying to spin things for a story can be a problem.

But just as often I find the problem is just that the people doing the reporting don't know enough about the subject to really get it right.

I find the same is true in science reporting, and probably in a lot of other spheres where there is some more specialized knowledge involved.

Even some religious news sources can get it wrong because they just don't go into the background of the question enough. In the case of Francis, for example, there seems to be a lot of chatter about how he might make changes around how to deal with divorced or remarried Catholics. Even religious news sites seem to be all woe or all smiles about this, but few seem to really give any kind of in depth understanding of how marriage and divorce have been treated historically at various times and how the current situation came to be. At best, they treat the events since Vat II.

Well, I don't think it is probably possible to get much sense of what could legitimately be possible now, or what would be illegitimate, if people don't understand how it has changed in the past.

You have a good point. I have seen the same regarding scientific reporting.

My apologies - I did not read the source, and perhaps I am attributing something to them that they are not guilty of.

Thank you, MKJ, I probably should not have jumped to that conclusion, just because I have seen it done at times.

I hope their motives were purer than I had imagined.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You have a good point. I have seen the same regarding scientific reporting.

My apologies - I did not read the source, and perhaps I am attributing something to them that they are not guilty of.

Thank you, MKJ, I probably should not have jumped to that conclusion, just because I have seen it done at times.

I hope their motives were purer than I had imagined.

My comment was just general, really. I think religious reporting is just hard.

To try and communicate even a short paragraph to readers who may well know little about the subject seems like it could be rather difficult even for a writer who understood the context. These days, it is hard to depend on readers being very widely knowledgeable about anything to do with religion.

Upvote 0

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While of course being Orthodox, I'm supportive of your interest in the Orthodox Church (Marian Catholic) ... SNIP

What is "Marian Catholic", please? I googled it -- What is "Marian Catholic" -- and it displayed a whole page of High School links suggesting (at least to me) that it's just the name of a Catholic High School. Is it a branch of the Orthodox church or not? If so, it is Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox, etc.? I'm very confused about all the 'eastern' churches and how they are arranged. Is there a decent summary somewhere online to distinguish them for me?

Thanks, and God Bless.

Bill Velek

P.S. Here's a recent pic
358445-albums6093-51476.jpg
of me with my better half and our eleven grandkids (#12 due this February).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is "Marian Catholic", please? I googled it -- What is "Marian Catholic" -- and it displayed a whole page of High School links suggesting (at least to me) that it's just the name of a Catholic High School. Is it a branch of the Orthodox church or not? If so, it is Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox, etc.? I'm very confused about all the 'eastern' churches and how they are arranged. Is there a decent summary somewhere online to distinguish them for me?

Thanks, and God Bless.

Bill Velek

P.S. Here's a recent pic
358445-albums6093-51476.jpg
of me with my better half and our eleven grandkids (#12 due this February).

Oh, I am so sorry for the confusion! MarianCatholic was the username of someone I was talking to ... I believe he has since changed it.

No, it has nothing to do with any branch of the Church.

Others can probably explain Church structure to you better. The basics are - there was the Church. At the council of Chalcedon, some did not accept what the council handed down. These separated from the others and became Oriental Orthodox. Really, their differences with the Orthodox Church are small, but since they involve Christology those differences are important.

The next major schism was in 1054 between the Eastern Orthodox and the See of Rome, which became the Catholuc Church. Over the years, these have diverged, but also drawn closer together on some issues. There are important differences, IMO.

I think the Eastern Catholics praxis and liturgy is very much like Eastern Orthodox, but they are in communion with Rome and are considered Catholic. Presumably their doctrines and dogmas necessarily align with the Catholic Church?

There are of course other schisms of smaller groups that have separated themselves from the EO and Catholic Churches (and probably the OO as well, I'm just not aware of those).

I think those are the basic ideas regarding communion.

There are different jurisdictions in the EO, but all are normally in communion and mostly they differ in minor practices (language, pews or standing, bowing, head coverings, usual frequency of confession).

If that's far more basic than you wanted, please forgive me. I don't mean to be insulting. :) Since I don't know you, I wasn't sure what you were asking for. The EO forum (The Ancient Way) is fairly active and they can give you better answers than I can. :)

And how blessed you are!!! What a beautiful family. :) My prayers are with you all!

God bless!

Upvote 0