Persecution of faithful Catholic Cardinals within the Church

A

aChildOfMary

Cardinal Burke is being removed as chief (of) justice of the Vatican's Supreme Court and degraded to a ceremonial post of patron[of] to the Sovereign Military Order of Malta.
(According to Ncronline.org)

How about that, removing faithful catholic Cardinals from their position due to criticism of the Pope's desitions.
Liberalism and authority at its best (sarcasm), dictatorship is what pop's to mind when I read this.

Papacy as it was understood pre-schism is in my opinion becoming more and more true for every day that goes by...
Papacy is becoming harder and harder to support as we see it today...

Anyone who feels the same way?

Yours in Jesus and Mary
- MarianCatholic

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I understand the question about what happened to Cardinal Burke, the concern for him, and the implications for the church. However, I admit to being put off by the thread title that seems to imply that conservatives are faithful and those who think differently are not. Cannot one who thinks differently than Cardinal Burke also be faithful?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I understand the question about what happened to Cardinal Burke, the concern for him, and the implications for the church. However, I admit to being put off by the thread title that seems to imply that conservatives are faithful and those who think differently are not. Cannot one who thinks differently than Cardinal Burke also be faithful?
No.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't keep up with him too much, but I have generally heard positive things from Catholics about Pope Francis. What I myself have heard of him seemed good. But I have not heard of this situation with the Cardinal.

Then again, I would like to see the schism healed someday - but there are a great many issues to work out, I think.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, being that I chose the Orthodox Church myself, and having some differences with the Catholic Church, I can understand that and see it as a good thing. Though I don't usually make anything of the differences here in CF out of respect to my Catholic brothers and sisters, who I greatly respect and realize we do share a great deal of our expressions of faith. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

aChildOfMary

Well, being that I chose the Orthodox Church myself, and having some differences with the Catholic Church, I can understand that and see it as a good thing. Though I don't usually make anything of the differences here in CF out of respect to my Catholic brothers and sisters, who I greatly respect and realize we do share a great deal of our expressions of faith. :)

God bless you Kylissa for your charity and friendliness towards catholics I appreciate it (I am one of them still).
I wouldn't have changed the past even if I knew how it would eventually turn out.
I love the Catholic Church and my heart are grieving over the fact that I have to make the decision of leaving it, but my disbelief in Papal Supremacy, Infallibility and jouristriction makes it impossible to stay put.
I believe in an infallible church through infallible councils hence I'm heading into Orthodoxy.
I converted to Catholicism from Lutheranism previously and I have no regrets to be honest as I needed to learn about and to love the holy tradition.
My time as Catholic learned me to love Mary and I pray a lot to Mary now.
I couldn't have jumped directly from Lutheran to Orthodoxy, for me it would've been to far away, but now I'm ready to take my final step.

Life is truly wird sometimes...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That it is. I've taken a track through MANY kinds of churches myself - sometimes I feel as though I've been or visited almost everything but Catholic (actually, I've visited Catholic Churches too, but for family events). It has given me a lot of background, helped me understand where many others come from, given me appreciation of things that might not be emphasized in every Orthodox Church. I wouldn't change it either, though I have been through a lot of error and struggle along the way.

God knows what He is doing.

I do seem to see a lot of pain in Catholics, particularly, that convert to Orthodoxy. When I first began looking at it, I had thought Catholics must have the easiest time, because they are close in so many ways. But I find that is not true, and Catholics struggle quite a bit with painful parts. Perhaps it is the love of their Church, which may be stronger in most cases than many Protestants who are sometimes less committed to their particular tradition, depending on denomination and their personal history. Often one doesn't identify as much with their church.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. :) I understand your concerns and interest in Orthodoxy. Those are essentially most of the reasons I couldn't choose the Catholic Church myself. May God have mercy on you and guide you in every step of your journey, wherever He leads you. :)

God bless you!

Upvote 0
A

aChildOfMary

That it is. I've taken a track through MANY kinds of churches myself - sometimes I feel as though I've been or visited almost everything but Catholic (actually, I've visited Catholic Churches too, but for family events). It has given me a lot of background, helped me understand where many others come from, given me appreciation of things that might not be emphasized in every Orthodox Church. I wouldn't change it either, though I have been through a lot of error and struggle along the way.

God knows what He is doing.

I do seem to see a lot of pain in Catholics, particularly, that convert to Orthodoxy. When I first began looking at it, I had thought Catholics must have the easiest time, because they are close in so many ways. But I find that is not true, and Catholics struggle quite a bit with painful parts. Perhaps it is the love of their Church, which may be stronger in most cases than many Protestants who are sometimes less committed to their particular tradition, depending on denomination and their personal history. Often one doesn't identify as much with their church.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. :) I understand your concerns and interest in Orthodoxy. Those are essentially most of the reasons I couldn't choose the Catholic Church myself. May God have mercy on you and guide you in every step of your journey, wherever He leads you. :)

God bless you!

Thanks for a compassionate post I do actually need it more than you belive.
We catholics or ex-catholics have the teaching 'Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus' ringing in the back of our head no matter what we do and it leaves us in pain if we like it or not.
according to the CC catholics who knowingly and willingly turn their back on the CCs (myself) will end up in hell.
If you once have believed in it, it's hard not to fear for eternal damnation.
I hope I will find peace in The Orthodox Church and trust them on the matter and not the CC, but I don't know if I ever will be totally free of guilt.
Protestants have never known the CC and therfore they don't run the same risk as we do...

God Bless you too my sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So how exactly is he being persecuted? He has openly opposed the Pope and disagrees with him on several issues. Is it really surprising that he is loosing his position, you know the one where he is supposed to be assisting the Pope? Now if he was being defrocked or something, you might have a point. But he is a still a Cardinal and a Bishop, and serving in a role that actually is kinda important if not glamorous.

Upvote 0

EvangelCatholic

Oct 12, 2014
New York Metro
✟728.00
Faith
Lutheran
So how exactly is he being persecuted? He has openly opposed the Pope and disagrees with him on several issues. Is it really surprising that he is loosing his position, you know the one where he is supposed to be assisting the Pope? Now if he was being defrocked or something, you might have a point. But he is a still a Cardinal and a Bishop, and serving in a role that actually is kinda important if not glamorous.

I've been thinking the same. Even among "liberal" Lutherans [Church of Sweden/ ELCA] a bishop would be seriously censured for such statements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Either your Catholic or your not.
Liberalism has absolutely no place within the Catholic Church whatsoever.
I know that our current pope think otherwise , but I'm quite certain that my understanding of this rests on the shoulders of all of the former Popes.

We should just hope and pray that God prevents Pope Francis from ruining the church.

I don't think that last few popes thought much differently than this one.

The man hasn't been thrown under a bus. This isn't really the sort of thing where you should be second guessing the leader of your church. You have no idea what passed between them, or whether the Cardinal also felt that a new arrangement would be better given their different views.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I recall when Pope Francis was elected that some in the media described him as a "Moderate". I am not sure what that means in terms of Catholic Cardinals, but time will tell if he intends to bring significant changes or not.

I think it means when it comes to burning heretics, he says, "Medium." not "Well Done." ^_^

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's far more likely to see some catholics turning their back on Rome to look East.
The current path of the CC is a path that only deepens the divide.
I myself have started going to Orthodox catechese, I've figured I'm closer to an Orthodox understanding.
Need to stop getting your information on the Church from the news. The secular media is always going to try to twist things so that they can report something exciting.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Either your Catholic or your not.
Liberalism has absolutely no place within the Catholic Church whatsoever.
I know that our current pope think otherwise , but I'm quite certain that my understanding of this rests on the shoulders of all of the former Popes.

We should just hope and pray that God prevents Pope Francis from ruining the church.

Neither does conservatism either. Only orthodoxy. This current pope is not ruining the Church and he isn't making changes to doctrine. You have to stop getting your Catholic news from secular media. Just stop it. Secular media are idiots when it comes to reporting anything that has a religious theme. Catholicism is NOT the exception. I wouldn't trust them to report the Mass times at a local parish.

Upvote 0