People speak of comparing Mohammad and Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplegifts

Jul 7, 2012
✟8,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“ BUT AS FOR THOSE WHO STRIVE HARD IN OUR cause, we shall most certainly guide them to Our paths, and God is indeed with the doers of Good”​

(Sura 29: verse 69)
“And fight in God’s cause against those who have initially waged war against you, and do never commit aggression, for verily, God does not love aggressors”

(Sura 2: verse 190)*
“It may well be that God will bring about affection between you and those whom you are now facing as enemies; and God is All-powerful, and God is Much-forgiving and Mercy-giving”​

(Sura 60: verse 7)

You have challenged me to a battle. I accept your challenge. But I have a proposal to make. Why have a war involving murder and bloodshed of thousands of ignorant people? Why be a scourge to mankind? Let us have mercy on them, whether they are sincere and Allah-fearing Muslims, or ignorant, unenlightened and greedy mercenaries misguided and fooled by you. Let there be peace and tranquillity for all the creatures of Allah.

(Ali b. Abi Taalib, Letters from Nahjul Balaagh)​
Chronological order of the Quran is important:
002.106 None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, but We substitute something better or similar: Knowest thou not that Allah Hath power over all things?

The Early Meccan Surahs
1 The Clot (96)
2 The Pen (68)
3 The Enshrouded One (73)
4 The Cloaked One (74)
5 The Opening (1)
6 Palm Fibre (111)
7 The Overthrowing (81)
8 The Most High (87)
9 The Night (92)
10 The Dawn (89)
11 The Morning Hours (93)
12 Solace (94)
13 The Declining Day (103)
14 The Coursers (100)
15 Abundance (108)
16 Rivalry in Worldly Increase (102)
17 Small Kindnesses (107)
18 The Disbelievers (109)
19 The Elephant (105)
20 The Daybreak (113)
21 Mankind (114)
22 The Unity (112)
23 The Star (53)
24 He Frowned (80)
25 Power (97)
26 The Sun (91)
27 The Mansions of the Stars (85)
28 The Fig (95)
29 Winter or Qureysh (106)
30 The Calamity (101)
Middle Meccan Surahs (618-620)
31 The Rising of the Dead (75)
32 The Traducer (104)
33 The Emissaries (77)
34 Oaf (50)
35 The City (90)
36 The Morning Star (86)
37 The Moon (54)
38 Sad (38)
39 The Heights (7)
40 The Jinn (72)
41 Ya Sin (36)
42 Criterion (42)
43 The Angels (35)
44 Mary (19)
45 Ta Ha (20)
46 The Event (56)
47 The Poets (26)
48 The Ant (27)
49 The Story (28)
50 The Children of Israel (17)
51 Jonah (10)
52 Hud (11)
53 Joseph (12)
54 Al-Hijr (15)
55 Cattle (6)
56 Those Who Set the Ranks (37)
57 Luqman (31)
58 Saba (34)
59 The Troops (39)
60 The Believer (40)
Late Meccan Surahs (620-622)
61 Fusilat (41)
62 Counsel (42)
63 Ornaments of Gold (43)
64 Smoke (44)
65 Crouching (45)
66 The Wind-Curved Sandhills (46)
67 The Winnowing Winds (51)
68 The Overwhelming (88)
69 The Cave (18)
70 The Bee (16)
71 Noah (71)
72 Abraham (14)
73 The Prophets (21)
74 The Believers (23)
75 The Prostration (32)
76 The Mount (52)
77 The Sovereignty (67)
78 The Reality (69)
79 The Ascending Stairways (70)
80 The Tidings (78)
81 Those Who Drag Forth (79)
82 The Cleaving (82)
83 The Sundering (84)
84 The Romans (30)
85 The Spider (29)
86 Defrauding (83)
The 28 Medina Surahs
87 The Cow (2)
88 Spoils of War (8)
89 The Family of ‘Imran (3)
90 The Clans (33)
91 She That is to be Examined (60)
92 The Women (4)
93 The Earthquake (99)
94 Iron (57)
95 Muhammad (47)
96 The Thunder (13)
97 The Beneficent (55)
98 Time or Man (76)
99 Divorce (65)
100 The Clear Proof (98)
101 Exile (59)
102 Light (24)
103 The Pilgrimage (22)
104 The Hypocrites (63)
105 She That Disputeth (58)
106 The Private Apartments (49)
107 Banning (66)
108 Mutual Disillusion (64)
109 The Ranks (61)
110 The Congregation (62)
111 Victory (48)
112 The Table Spread (5)
113 Repentance (9) - most violent chapter
114 Succour (110)

009.029 Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

The only sure way a Muslim can enter paradise:
009.111 Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: ...

Upvote 0

simplegifts

Jul 7, 2012
✟8,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unlike the violence of the Old Testament that is a comment on history, the Quran is supposedly for all men for all times -

009.005 But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No one denies that the verses in the Qur'an were revealed over at least twenty years in various places such as Mecca and Medina... What's needed is understanding the context of revelation and the study of the meaning of the revealed words.

Let's look at Surih 9:5 quoted above:

But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

This verse is quoted out of context. You cannot know or understand it without considering the previous verse 4

Excepted are those with whom you made a treaty among the polytheists and then they have not been deficient toward you in anything or supported anyone against you; so complete for them their treaty until their term [has ended]. Indeed, Allah loves the righteous [who fear Him].

And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

And if any one of the polytheists seeks your protection, then grant him protection so that he may hear the words of Allah . Then deliver him to his place of safety. That is because they are a people who do not know.

Surat At-Tawbah [9:2-8] - The Noble Qur'an - القرآن الكريم

What was happening was the combat around Mecca and a treaty in effect between the pagans and the Muslims. Those who followed the treaty were to be protected or acknowledged ...those who ignored the treaty should be dealt with. So the verses only apply to that circumstance not for all times as someone may have suggested above.

For some people "the Quran is supposedly for all men for all times -". In my belief the revelations from God are "universal".. and especially the spiritual teachings are universal..

What is not "timeless" are the social ordinances that change. For instance the change of the Qiblih from Jerusalem to the Kaaba was an example of a change of an ordinance. The prayers of the people who turned to Jerusalem were accepted..but the Qiblih at that time was changed to the Kaaba or Mecca. So this is an example.

:)

Upvote 0

Crypto

Apr 4, 2013
✟1,032.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No one denies that the verses in the Qur'an were revealed over at least twenty years in various places such as Mecca and Medina... What's needed is understanding the context of revelation and the study of the meaning of the revealed words.

Let's look at Surih 9:5 quoted above:

But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

This verse is quoted out of context. You cannot know or understand it without considering the previous verse 4

Excepted are those with whom you made a treaty among the polytheists and then they have not been deficient toward you in anything or supported anyone against you; so complete for them their treaty until their term [has ended]. Indeed, Allah loves the righteous [who fear Him].

And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

And if any one of the polytheists seeks your protection, then grant him protection so that he may hear the words of Allah . Then deliver him to his place of safety. That is because they are a people who do not know.

Surat At-Tawbah [9:2-8] - The Noble Qur'an - القرآن الكريم

What was happening was the combat around Mecca and a treaty in effect between the pagans and the Muslims. Those who followed the treaty were to be protected or acknowledged ...those who ignored the treaty should be dealt with. So the verses only apply to that circumstance not for all times as someone may have suggested above.

For some people "the Quran is supposedly for all men for all times -". In my belief the revelations from God are "universal".. and especially the spiritual teachings are universal..

What is not "timeless" are the social ordinances that change. For instance the change of the Qiblih from Jerusalem to the Kaaba was an example of a change of an ordinance. The prayers of the people who turned to Jerusalem were accepted..but the Qiblih at that time was changed to the Kaaba or Mecca. So this is an example.

:)

Tell me in which context are these words of Muhammad supposed to be acceptable:

Ishaq:240 "The Jews are a nation of liars.... The Jews are a treacherous, lying, and evil people."

Ishaq:254 and Qur'an 2:96 "We will not remove a Jew from the punishment. They know the shameful thing that awaits them."

Qur'an 4:55 "Sufficient for the Jew is the Flaming Fire!"

Tabari VIII:121 "Ali struck the Jew with a swift blow that split his helmet, neck protector, and head, landing in his rear teeth. And the Muslims entered the city. Muhammad conquered the [Jewish] neighborhood. Safiyah was brought to him, and another woman with her. Bilal led them past some of the Jews we had slain including the woman's dead husband. When she saw them, the woman with Safiyah cried out, slapped her face, and poured dust on her head. When Allah's Prophet saw her, he said, 'Take this she-devil away from me!'"

Tabari VIII:130 "The Messenger said during his final illness, 'Two religions cannot coexist in the Arabian Peninsula.' Umar investigated the matter, then sent to the Jews, saying: 'Allah has given permission for you to be expelled; for I have received word that the Prophet said that two religions cannot coexist in Arabia."

Qur'an 17:7 "We shall rouse Our (Muslim) slaves to shame and ravage you (Jews), disfiguring your faces. They will enter the Temple as before and destroy, laying to waste all that they conquer."

Tabari VII:94 "The Murder of Ka'b bin Ashraf, The Evil Genius of the Jews: The Prophet sent messengers to the people of Medina announcing the good news of the victory granted to him by Allah at Badr. They listed the names of the polytheists they had killed." Ishaq:365 "Ka'b bin Ashraf was from the Jewish clan of Nadir. When he heard the news, he said, 'Can this be true? Did Muhammad actually kill these people? These were fine men. If Muhammad has slain them, then the belly of the earth is a better place for us than its surface!'" Ishaq:365 "When the enemy of Allah became convinced the report was true, he set out for Mecca. He began to arouse people against Muhammad [i.e., he exposed him]. He recited verses in sympathy for the Quraysh men Muhammad had cast into the pit. Ka'b Ashraf composed the following poetic lines: 'The blood spilled at Badr calls to its people. They cry and weep. The best men were slain and thrown into a pit.'" Ishaq:365 "Drive off that fool of yours so that you might be safe from talk that makes no sense. Why do you taunt those who mourn over their dead? They lived good lives, and as such we must remember them. But now you have become like jackals." Tabari VII:94 "The Prophet said, 'Who will rid me of Ashraf?' Muhammad bin Maslamah, said, 'I will rid you of him, Messenger of Allah. I will kill him.' 'Do it then,' he said, 'if you can.'" Bukhari:V4B52N270 "The Prophet said, 'Who is ready to kill Ka'b bin Ashraf who has really hurt Allah and His Apostle?' Muhammad bin Maslama said, 'O Allah's Apostle! Do you want me to kill him?' He replied in the affirmative."Bukhari:V1B1N6 "Just issue orders to kill every Jew in the country."

The only good Muslim is the one who is far away.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Crypto above cited the Quran:

Qur'an 4:55 "Sufficient for the Jew is the Flaming Fire!"

Again Crypto your citations are off..inaccurate..If you're citing a passage check it first.. I find a lot of anti-Islamic sites nowadays are not even close to the actual Qur'an!

Example:

Your verse for Qur'an 4:55:

"Sufficient for the Jew is the Flaming Fire!"

The actual verse has:

4_55.png

transliterated:

Faminhum man amana bihi waminhum man saddaAAanhu wakafa bijahannama saAAeera

"And some among them believed in it, and some among them were averse to it. And sufficient is Hell as a blaze."

http://quran.com/4/55

It seems to me crypto you are copy pasting from some anti-Islamic source on the web instead of bothering to research it for yourself and so the hatred and misunderstanding gets passed on to others..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
True to form like with Muhammad insults and jokes are met with slaughter to this day.

I've always found it quite ironic. It is akin to a form of worship of Muhammad. I'm sure that Muhammad would be disgusted at the behaviour of some of his followers that try to defend his honour, and the almost-worship some Muslims give to Muhammad. It'd be against everything he taught.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.