People speak of comparing Mohammad and Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I don't know the topic of this thread is "people speak of comparing Muhammad and Jesus".. but any way it should be noted that Prophet Muhammad is reported to have said that.

There are Hadith traditions where Prophet Muhammad says He is most like Jesus:

Bukhari

Volume 4, Book 55, Number 651:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "I am the nearest
of all the people to the son of Mary, and all the
prophets are paternal brothers, and there has
been no prophet between me and him (i.e.
Jesus)."

Volume 4, Book 55, Number 652:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Both in this world and in
the Hereafter, I am the nearest of all the people
to Jesus, the son of Mary. The prophets are
paternal brothers; their mothers are different, but
their religion is one."

Prophet Muhammad also is reported to have said that if someone believes in Jesus and then believes in Him they will "get a double reward":

Volume 4, Book 55, Number 655:

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari:

Allah's Apostle said, ".... And if a man believes in
Jesus and then believes in me, he will get a
double reward. ..."

Upvote 0

simplegifts

Jul 7, 2012
✟8,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus and the Quran? no, Jesus and Allah

Mohammad was just a profit. As far as comparring Islam to Christianity, they do not have a "Jesus"

If I were to compare Mohammad to anyone it would be Mosses

It was actually an Arabic speaking Muslim studying root words who set me on this idea:

His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, His word which He conveyed unto Mary, His Word which He communicated to Marium

YUSUFALI: O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.
PICKTHAL: O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not "Three" - Cease! (it is) better for you! - Allah is only One Allah. Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender.
SHAKIR: O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak (lies) against Allah, but (speak) the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only a messenger of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His messengers, and say not, Three. Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one Allah; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector

AND

Literal: You The Book's people, do not exaggerate/exceed the limit in your religion, and do not say on (about) God except the truth , but the Messiah, Jesus, Mary's son (is) God's messenger and His word/expression He threw it away to Mary, and a Soul/Spirit (could be Gabriel) from Him; so believe with God, and His messengers, and do not say: "Three." Stop (it is) best for you, but God (is) one God, His praise/glory that to be for him a child; for Him what (is) in the skies/space and what (is) in the earth/Planet Earth, enough/sufficient with God (as a) guardian/protector.

So allah throws his word away to Mary who conceives Jesus who is allah's Word incarnate.

The Quran is thought by Muslims to be allah's created and uncreated eternal word

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Surih "An-Nisa" (4:171)

The translation of A.Yusuf Ali has

[SIZE=-1]"...Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers.[/SIZE]"

Ya ahla alkitabi lataghloo fee deenikum wala taqooloo AAala Allahiilla alhaqqa innama almaseehu AAeesaibnu maryama rasoolu Allahi wakalimatuhu alqahaila maryama waroohun minhu faaminoo biAllahiwarusulihi wala taqooloo thalathatun intahookhayran lakum innama Allahu ilahun wahidunsubhanahu an yakoona lahu waladun lahu ma fee alssamawatiwama fee al-ardi wakafa biAllahiwakeelan

The word is al-qaha

wordimage

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran

which means

"which He conveyed"

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran

Upvote 0

simplegifts

Jul 7, 2012
✟8,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Surih "An-Nisa" (4:171)

The translation of A.Yusuf Ali has

[SIZE=-1]"...Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers.[/SIZE]"

Ya ahla alkitabi lataghloo fee deenikum wala taqooloo AAala Allahiilla alhaqqa innama almaseehu AAeesaibnu maryama rasoolu Allahi wakalimatuhu alqahaila maryama waroohun minhu faaminoo biAllahiwarusulihi wala taqooloo thalathatun intahookhayran lakum innama Allahu ilahun wahidunsubhanahu an yakoona lahu waladun lahu ma fee alssamawatiwama fee al-ardi wakafa biAllahiwakeelan

The word is al-qaha

wordimage

which means

"which He conveyed"

Yes.

convey = transfer and even to move in a continuous stream or mass
and
bestowed = to put in a particular or appropriate place

Please note also that "only" a messenger is not stated in that verse.

(no more than) a messenger of Allah = the words in the ( ) added as is he word is here in the literal translation - Mary's son (is) God's messenger.

That verse literally, actually reads: Jesus Mary's son God's messenger His word/expression He threw it away to Mary,

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well whatever that faith teaches, there can be no comparison. While there are still individuals that might be considered prophets, none have prophesied revelation since John the Baptist. As the Lord Jesus Christ tells us,

Matthew 11:9-13

New King James Version (NKJV)

9 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet. 10 For this is he of whom it is written:
‘Behold, I send My messenger before Your face,
Who will prepare Your way before You.’[a]

11 “Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. 13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
Footnotes:

1. Matthew 11:10 Malachi 3:1

From there on we must beware of false prophets as the Lord warns,

Matthew 24:11-14

11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Surely many who have not had a chance to hear the genuine Gospel will not be forgotten by the Lord & lived according to His will in ways He knew they would but we may not will be known by Him as St. Paul preaches:

Romans 2:11-16

11 For there is no partiality with God.
12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law 13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; 14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I would think Moses would be the better figure to compare Muhammad too. Both of them had the added diffficulty of not only trying to play the role of Prophet but also being leaders of men in time of war. In other words they were both politicians and prophets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
"Threw it away" is not conveyed either.. It (the Word) wasn't an object.

Pickthall translated Surih 4:171 as

O People of the Scripture!

Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth.

The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him.

So believe in Allah and His messengers,

and say not "Three" - Cease! (it is) better for you! -

Allah is only One Allah.

Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son.

His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth.

And Allah is sufficient as Defender.

The admonition "So believe in Allah and His messengers..." applies to Jesus, Moses, Abraham and all the Messengers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
To appreciate the similarities between Prophet Muhammad and Jesus Christ you need to consider the early ministry of Prophet Muhammad and the ministry of Jesus...

In the early ministry before Prophet Muhammad was persecution..

[FONT=&quot]However, many reacted in anger, which led to several attempts on his life. One such attempt was made by Uqba ibn Abu Mu'ayt who strangled Muhammad with a garment, until he was pushed away by Abu Bakr.[2] In another attempt, Abu Jahl, one of the tribal leaders, [/FONT] attempted a pre-planned murder, as he tried to smash Muhammad in the head with a rock.[1]
There are many records, at great length, of the persecution and ill-treatment of Muhammad's followers.[27][69] At first the more traditional Quraysh taunted Muslims, and interrupted their prayers. But this later changed and Muslim were physically hurt, starved, harassed and boycotted. If this didn't work, the Muslims would be staked out on the ground under the scorching heat of the Arabian desert.[68]
Sumayya bint Khubbat, a slave of Abu Jahl and a prominent Meccan leader, is famous as the first martyr of Islam, having been killed with a spear by her master when she refused to give up her faith. Bilal, another Muslim slave, suffered torture at the hands of Umayya ibn khalaf by placing a heavy rock on his chest to force his conversion.[70][71]

Read more at

Muhammad in Mecca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I would think Moses would be the better figure to compare Muhammad too. Both of them had the added diffficulty of not only trying to play the role of Prophet but also being leaders of men in time of war. In other words they were both politicians and prophets.

Don't forget the "spoils of war" thing ;).

Upvote 0

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I read more , for sure.

From the wiki link.
The relations between the Muslims and their pagan fellow-tribesmen rapidly deteriorated. While the Quraysh had not previously shown significant opposition to Muhammad and his followers, his denunciation of the Meccan idols provoked hostile reactions.

Muslims think muhammad was correct in abusing meccan religion while they themselves would not mind murdering anybody who criticize him .In the Mind of muslims any retaliation is persecution.

This is the way persecution works in Muslims Minds.It is No wonder most terrorists are muslims.

To appreciate the similarities between Prophet Muhammad and Jesus Christ you need to consider the early ministry of Prophet Muhammad and the ministry of Jesus...

In the early ministry before Prophet Muhammad was persecution..

[FONT=&quot]However, many reacted in anger, which led to several attempts on his life. One such attempt was made by Uqba ibn Abu Mu'ayt who strangled Muhammad with a garment, until he was pushed away by Abu Bakr.[2] In another attempt, Abu Jahl, one of the tribal leaders, [/FONT] attempted a pre-planned murder, as he tried to smash Muhammad in the head with a rock.[1]
There are many records, at great length, of the persecution and ill-treatment of Muhammad's followers.[27][69] At first the more traditional Quraysh taunted Muslims, and interrupted their prayers. But this later changed and Muslim were physically hurt, starved, harassed and boycotted. If this didn't work, the Muslims would be staked out on the ground under the scorching heat of the Arabian desert.[68]
Sumayya bint Khubbat, a slave of Abu Jahl and a prominent Meccan leader, is famous as the first martyr of Islam, having been killed with a spear by her master when she refused to give up her faith. Bilal, another Muslim slave, suffered torture at the hands of Umayya ibn khalaf by placing a heavy rock on his chest to force his conversion.[70][71]

Read more at

Muhammad in Mecca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
That was less of a problem and more a boon for them though. Probably made both their jobs a little easier.

Yeah ,nothing motivates better than booty. Muhammad's "revelations " didn't impress many (not more than few dozens) until he was successful in looting Meccan caravans at medina.

There is a difference though.For the Moses followers the booty was incidental and not much of motivation.Going by the accounts in OT sometimes everything was burnt.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I read more , for sure.

From the wiki link.
The relations between the Muslims and their pagan fellow-tribesmen rapidly deteriorated. While the Quraysh had not previously shown significant opposition to Muhammad and his followers, his denunciation of the Meccan idols provoked hostile reactions.

Muslims think muhammad was correct in abusing meccan religion while they themselves would not mind murdering anybody who criticize him .In the Mind of muslims any retaliation is persecution.

This is the way persecution works in Muslims Minds.It is No wonder most terrorists are muslims.

I have a question for you..or anyone...

Would the Jews of Jesus day consider that He was "abusing" their religion?

:)

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You can't compare them because it is just the truth against falsehood.
Jesus+Paul=Truth
Muhammad+Quran=Falsehood.

Jesus preached peace and Muhammad was a warlord.

Jesus had prophecy to confirm his coming, Muhammad had nothing.

Jesus lived a perfect sinless life, Muhammad committed many sins and even broke the commandments he expected other people to follow like the limit on the amount of wives you can have. The Quran says you can have 4 at most if you treat them all fairly. Muhammad had at least 9 (Other sources are higher), and he did not treat them fairly.

Jesus was an Israelite which all the other prophets were who came after Jacob (Israel). Muhammad was an Arab and nothing in the bible would tell them to listen to some Arab claiming to be a prophet.

Jesus gained nothing worldly and he was killed for being a Prophet while Muhammad became rich and powerful when he declared he was a prophet.

Jesus did miracles, Muhammad did nothing. The claim that the Quran is the miracle is false because you can connect everything in the Quran to something that came before it that was known. The majority of the stories are basically summaries of the biblical stories that were well known. Then you had stuff from the Talmud, Gnostic writings, Paganism, Arabian Mythology, etc...

Jesus is in Heaven with the Father, Muhammad is in hell for being a deceitful false prophet.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.