Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Well you'd guess wrong. I'm surprised you didn't notice the similarities to the Koran, frankly.

I figured you'd only read the Koran.

Anyhow, yes, I've noticed the similarities, (it is very vaguely based on the Torah and Gospels, after all) but also the differences.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I figured you'd only read the Koran.

Anyhow, yes, I've noticed the similarities, (it is very vaguely based on the Torah and Gospels, after all) but also the differences.
Probably time to stop saying the Koran is unique for giving orders about the mundane, then.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Probably time to stop saying the Koran is unique for giving orders about the mundane, then.

I never said it was unique for giving orders about the mundane. I said that it is a religious-political system.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
By far, Christianity has had a greater political influence on the US than Islam has. This is indisputable and is true for just about any Western country.

Maybe Christianity wasn't meant to be political (though how do explain the Vatican?) but that doesn't change the fact that many Christians do use the religion to influence and inform their politics. So while some Muslims may be cutting people's heads off in the Middle East, it is Christians who are much more likely to implement public policy that affects non-members of their faith, here in the US.

• Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There's English translations, although they're not authoritative due to being in English. Basically, you know how the New Testament and Christ specifically say that the Christian Kingdom is not of this world? And yet, despite that there's been attempts to make it so anyhow? Islam doesn't have that and, in fact, encourages the opposite. This is why, while other religions may have bouts of fanatical terrorism, Islam is way ahead in first place. This isn't to say Islam needs to be banned or anything else, just that people need to understand that yes, there is an underlying issue with Islam that is pretty unique.

Yet historically a lot of Muslim nations were very progressive and had no issues with other religions within their borders. If what you say is true then it seems to me it is the particular flavor of Islam that determines if it is problematic. I see that as no different then any other religion. Now Islam might contain instructions that make it's adherents more susceptible to radicalism then other religions. That I can neither confirm nor deny.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
And that, as such, it was unique. Well, not if the Torah is a thing that exists.

Yes, the Torah, which had such a strict separation of the two states that Uzziah was struck with leprosy for attempting to mix the two, and when the prophets spoke about the Messiah being both priest and king, the assumption many rabbi made was that there'd be two Messiahs. That Torah.

Yet historically a lot of Muslim nations were very progressive and had no issues with other religions within their borders. If what you say is true then it seems to me it is the particular flavor of Islam that determines if it is problematic. I see that as no different then any other religion. Now Islam might contain instructions that make it's adherents more susceptible to radicalism then other religions. That I can neither confirm nor deny.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'no issue.' Generally speaking, making non-Muslims second class citizens would be a problem in my eyes.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1aef0fd842529c2e7126bc336362c704.jpg
Cool retcon. Powell was opposed to immigration from the West Indies. Muslims weren't even a blip on the radar at the time. He is, if anything, an object lesson in how the rhetoric never changes, the dire predictions never come to pass, only the targeted group changes.

Rivers of Blood speech - Wikipedia

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Cool retcon. Powell was opposed to immigration from the West Indies. Muslims weren't even a blip on the radar at the time. He is, if anything, an object lesson in how the rhetoric never changes, the dire predictions never come to pass, only the targeted group changes.

Powell did not support mass immigration from anywhere, and if what the UK has seen these last days aren't "foaming with much blood" I'd find it hard to imagine what would be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Powell did not support mass immigration from anywhere, and if what the UK has seen these last days aren't "foaming with much blood" I'd find it hard to imagine what would be.
Powell was talking about West Indian blacks, not Muslims, shoe horn all you like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He was talking about Third World immigration...
Nope;
"Despite initially welcoming Commonwealth immigrants, on 20 April 1968, he made a controversial speech in Birmingham in which he warned his audience of what he believed would be the consequences of continued unchecked mass immigration from the Commonwealth to Britain. "
i.e. West Indians Enoch Powell - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Commonwealth is far more than the West Indies. In fact it happens to include Pakistan, with among the largest Muslim population on earth...
Which wasn't where the migrants Powell's speech was about were coming from. They were from the West Indies.

Cool goal post shift, though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.