• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

PCOS Weight-Loss Thread

wizdim10

Studying to be a Botanist (aka a Tree Hugger!!)
Apr 27, 2007
New Zealand
✟8,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I have just moved to a house up on a hill, and at the end of a long day the only thing between me and my bed is that silly hill. So since I don't drive and unless I want to sleep in the gutter I HAVE to climb those stairs! A constant 10mins of steps. They are getting a lot easier only after 3 weeks and i don't even have to have a rest half way up anymore. Sometimes I even walk then 2 or 3 times a day. And yesterday I decided to walk to the hospital instead of busing, then walked to uni and back home (up the steps twice that day). I had my pedometer on and I walked about 12kms in total all day. So I think my exercise has increased as before I moved the only exercise I got was walking to the bus stop (5mins on the flat) or walking to work a few times a week (30mins on the flat).
Once I get used to these steps I am going to join the gym, as I get great satisfaction out of going to the gym, I feel like I am actually exercising IMO.

Also seeing a dietitian and have changed my way of eating. The problem I had before wasn't the type of food I was eating it was the portions I was eating. So I have now cut down. And instead of juice or fizzy, I now have flavoured green tea or other herbal teas. Also I make it my goal to drink 2 of my big (1.25 L) water bottles a day!

And because of this I have lost the 2.5kgs (5.5lbs) in the past month that I posted about earlier.

Upvote 0

ladyinwaiting16

The wife of a warrior!!
Oct 30, 2007
Pa
✟16,089.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have lost 6 pounds, I also noticed I cant eat as much as I used to, so I have been going for smaller portions 6 times a day. I mostly end up with a yogurt, fruit or a granola bar 2x while at work usually mid morning and late afternoon. But with the holidays it is so hard to avoid the sweets.

Upvote 0

ladyinwaiting16

The wife of a warrior!!
Oct 30, 2007
Pa
✟16,089.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
this past couple weeks I had a bad craving for chocolate. so I had been a little off my diet so far. It is not so bad now, i am going to have to pick up a bag of small candy bbars to have for when it happens again. Then both me and my roommate will not have to go out and want to buy a big candy bar.

Upvote 0

EidonsServant

Oct 4, 2005
Michigan
✟15,386.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all! ::waves::

I went for years without knowing what was wrong and only found out about it by complete accident. I went through a ton of different medications before being but on metformin (which is the only thing that's worked) but was never told about the B12 defiency side effect of it. That meant I've gone for the past 4-5 years with a severe vitamin defiency without ever knowing it. Thankfully I've got that fixed now.

I am sooooooo frustrated right now though. I've been trying for years to lose weight (right now I do weight training 3/week, walking 3/week, and back-to-back fencing and water aerobics 1/week) and I'm not getting anywhere!!!! Recently I've started trying the "Link'N'Balance" diet where if you eat something with carbs you have to match it with something that has protien. This worked for my cousin but so far has done nothing for me. I've also tried taking a Chromium supplement but still no luck.

My goal is to lose between 30-40 lbs by the end of June but right now that looks impossible. ::sigh::

I'm so frustrated and depressed about not being able to lose weight I want to go sit in a corner and cry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Supplanter

There is no charge for awesomeness.
May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
HI, everyone, looks like I am the first new post in a few months, but maybe things will get revved back up in here again. I've just recently joined the forum. But have been struggling with PCOS and weight problems for some time. However, I am happy to report that I've lost 80 lbs since last February. Its been tough and mostly an effort of trial and error, and I am still working hard to continue my weight loss. I started off at 308 and my low so far has been 228. I'm open to any suggestions of new and fun exercise routines, because I like to change things up a lot.

Upvote 0

HisLittleHazelnut

Coming soon with new account... find me if you can
Mar 21, 2006
Searcy, AR
✟26,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not healthy for ANYONE to eat under 1200 calories a day. Once you do that, your body will actually start HOARDING the fat you have, in effort to prevent starvation. So, anything over 1200 and and under 16-1700 (1700 if you exercise more) is ideal.

Upvote 0

kpetty16

Jun 13, 2008
Olathe, KS
✟15,243.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have not been going about my weight loss in as healthy of a way as I should, but I was desparate. My weight was so high and I was very worried about developing diabetes. I am using slim fast and walking 3 miles a day. It is great to feel my body getting stronger. Being able to go faster and farther without the pain I had in the beginning. I tried jogging just bit this morning. That was a no go. Still too much weight, so the jolting was painful.

The scales have been going steadily down unless I eat someting besides slim fast, then they go up a pound to a pound and a half even if I have just a small portion of something healthy. I don't know what I will do when I go off slim fast, but for now, it's good to get some weight off and physically feel better.

I plan on staying on SF until October because I am going on a mission trip to Guatemala and I have been there before weighing more than 250lbs. Everything is so hard to do and I accomplish so little. I want to have my weight down so I can be of some use on the trip.

Please don't hound me about the slim fast. I know it is not the best way to go. It's just the only thing that is working for me. I was in a pcos egroup and they picked on me terribly because I wasn't following a "healthy" diet. I finally had to quit the group because I was tired of them making me cry. The truth is, I am getting better nutrition now because I am not eating fast food or junk food and I feel better than I have in years.

I forgot to mention that I am doing some weight lifting and my daughter gave me her excersize ball to work with. I've lost 38 lbs and not a single bit of it has come off of my arms, shoulders and upper back. It's very strange to see the rest of my body getting smaller, but those parts staying exactly the same. Anyway, that is why I have added weights and the ball. Hopefully I will start seeing a change in those areas too. So far nothing is happening though.

Kim:)

Upvote 0

HeleneHegarty

Aug 1, 2008
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I need to lose about 33lb at this point, but i know 22 of them have been gained in the past year :( If I don't work it out now, I will have more to deal with in the future.

Interesting diet to try is "YOU on a diet" (google will bring it up)... My Mum went on that and her PCOS hormone levels all came back in check

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

darknowhere

Jan 14, 2009
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟15,151.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am really just now starting my weight loss plan since I can't really exercise right now. I have to have back surgery next month so after that I will be able to exercise in addition to eating healthy/doing slim fast. Right now I can work out my arms, calves and do leg lifts...pretty much anything that involves sitting. So we'll see how the surgery goes and hopefully I'll be able to start working out in the next 3 weeks or so. I was diagnosed in August but I am just now starting Metformin as of yesterday.

Upvote 0

fieldmouse3

Contributor
Feb 14, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
✟8,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When I was diagnosed back in late 2004, my weight had gone up to 176 (I'm only 5'4" with a small frame, so that was WAY too much weight for me). I'm now within 15 pounds of my goal weight of 120, which is great. :) I know I SHOULD have been able to lose all the weight many times over, but as all of you know, that's not so easy when your hormones are working against you! It's also not so easy when you have a sweet tooth like mine. ;) Anyway, I'm just doing my best to eat right, excersise every day, and I'll reach my goal one of these days. :)

Upvote 0

Genuine

Proudly supporting our troops!
Mar 12, 2006
North Pole, Alaska
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Last year I was able to lose over 50lbs. I used metformin and cut out sugars and watched my carbs. I don't take metformin anymore, and my doctor says I won't need to as long as I keep my weight down. Keeping the weight off has not been easy though. PCOS sucks.

Upvote 0
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I lost 60 pounds last year in the most incredulous way possible. I did nothing to change my eating habits except to include whole milk. I did nothing to my exercise habits. It appears that my hormone issues were due to my family being vegan while I was going through puberty. Once I added fat into my diet, my hormones started working, my periods came every 31-33 days for an entire year, and I lost 60 pounds. Now I am 5'4" large boned (in the rib cage area) have not lost any sizes up top but lost five pants sizes, and weigh 155 pounds. I'm aiming for 145. I used to dream about being 165 pounds again.

Once I'm at 145 I'll see. My husband thinks I'm too skinny at 155.

Upvote 0