Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personal context: I'm in the process of transitioning from an "armchair" intellectual understanding of Christianity (where my beliefs are rather probabilistic, based on apologetics and other arguments from testimonial evidence) to an "experiential" form of Christianity. And all seems to indicate that this transition from "armchair" to "real life" requires a price to be paid.

General context: I've heard many times the expression "paying the price", meaning that there are certain progresses and breakthroughs in our spiritual walk with God that cannot be attained unless "we pay the price" ... But what kind of "price"? That's the question.

Question: If I want a spiritual "breakthrough" with God, do I have to "pay a price"? What price? Prayer, fasting, reading the Bible, praying at 3:00 AM, praying for long hours, a life of holiness, etc.? What do you understand when you hear the expression "paying the price"?

EDIT: a common usage is the idea of "paying the price for revival", which means that revival would not come unless "a price is paid".

Last edited:

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
The price has been paid ....There is nothing you can do that will that will exceed the price of what Christ did.
Anything you do in the senses realm is for you to feel good ... it's symbolism over substance.
Just walk in Christ Jesus with the things you have learned ...there will be challenges that you will handle at the time, but the rewards will by far outweigh any opportunities you face.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The price has been paid ....There is nothing you can do that will that will exceed the price of what Christ did.

I'm not talking about salvation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting "works-based salvation" here. My question has nothing to do with salvation. I'm rather talking about "spiritual maturity" or "spiritual growth", if that makes sense.

I'm thinking, for example, of Jesus' 40 days of fasting, which enabled him to walk in the power of the Spirit (Luke 4:14). He didn't fast to "get saved". He fasted in order to attain a new level spiritually which he would not have been able to attain without the fasting, right?

Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Personal context: I'm in the process of transitioning from an "armchair" intellectual understanding of Christianity (where my beliefs are rather probabilistic, based on apologetics and other arguments from testimonial evidence) to an "experiential" form of Christianity. And all seems to indicate that this transition from "armchair" to "real life" requires a price to be paid.

General context: I've heard many times the expression "paying the price", meaning that there are certain progresses and breakthroughs in our spiritual walk with God that cannot be attained unless "we pay the price" ... But what kind of "price"? That's the question.

Question: If I want a spiritual "breakthrough" with God, do I have to "pay a price"? What price? Prayer, fasting, reading the Bible, praying at 3:00 AM, praying for long hours, a life of holiness, etc.? What do you understand when you hear the expression "paying the price"?

It’s very personal. We all have different walk with God. Some seem to have it ”so easy” no trials, no ”long suffering” and so on. Yes I have woken up in 3am to pray, but I know that I don’t pray as much I should. Maby that’s why God had to wake me up sometimes at 3am because Im too busy doing anything else than praying most of the time lol

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It’s very personal. We all have different walk with God. Some seem to have it ”so easy” no trials, no ”long suffering” and so on. Yes I have woken up in 3am to pray, but I know that I don’t pray as much I should. Maby that’s why God had to wake me up sometimes at 3am because Im too busy doing anything else than praying most of the time lol

My hardest challenge, personally, at the moment, is reaching a level of 100% faith in God and being "on fire" for Him. My best intellectual efforts to "believe" always fall short -- there is always room for doubt (intellectually speaking). Just watch a few debates between apologists and atheists to see why (here is one). And that's considering that I've heard the craziest testimonies you can imagine (I'm not posting stuff in the Spirit-Filled / Charismatic forum for no reason).

Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟453,365.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not talking about salvation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting "works-based salvation" here. My question has nothing to do with salvation. I'm rather talking about "spiritual maturity" or "spiritual growth", if that makes sense.

I'm thinking, for example, of Jesus' 40 days of fasting, which enabled him to walk in the power of the Spirit (Luke 4:14). He didn't fast to "get saved". He fasted in order to attain a new level spiritually which he would not have been able to attain without the fasting, right?

Matthew 5 comes to my mind. God is holy and He asks that we live a holy life so that He would come and dwell in/with us. I would think it is the same price that Jesus Himself, all prophets, and apostles paid and set us an example to follow.

For instance, when you get angry, you go to God in prayer, wait for Him, meditate, allow Him to handle the situation, listen to Him and sort the issue with Him. That way we are actually laying down our lives as a living sacrifice.

As you keep following His ways in all things, His presence increases in you and you will experience His fire and power in your life because He will reward you with His glory.

• Useful
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My hardest challenge, personally, at the moment, is reaching a level of 100% faith in God and being "on fire" for Him. My best intellectual efforts to "believe" always fall short -- there is always room for doubt (intellectually speaking). Just watch a few debates between apologists and atheists to see why (here is one). And that's considering that I've heard the craziest testimonies you can imagine (I'm not posting stuff in the Spirit-Filled / Charismatic forum for no reason).

Well bruh, that’s like the easiest thing to do. Just spend all your free time (and not free time) with God. He will provide the fire :oldthumbsup:
And don’t waste your time with debates.
You will soon realise that you are connecting with God regularly whatever you are doing, even when you are shopping groceries. ”In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths”

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

You can fast… or do what you want …I still believe that works of the flesh…. fall into the self-righteousness category …..Fasting may gain you some insight, but if you really want to grow …and go further and faster with God than you can ever imagine…walk the Word … Just go out and witness the Word of God to people ….

Ask God who you should talk to …and do it. Don’t think about what you are going to say to someone based on your senses … Start out with “God bless you” and the words will be there for you to speak….God will see to that. And don’t look for results …sometimes they will be there sometimes you are just planting a seed…. If it’s one person a day you speak to… that is one… who has the chance to accept or reject the word…..But the results in your life will be extraordinary …you will grow in leaps and bounds…

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can fast… or do what you want …I still believe that works of the flesh…. fall into the self-righteousness category …..Fasting may gain you some insight, but if you really want to grow …and go further and faster with God than you can ever imagine…walk the Word … Just go out and witness the Word of God to people ….

So Jesus did works of the flesh in Luke 4:1-13?

Ask God who you should talk to …and do it.
Shouldn't I wait for a response between the asking and the doing?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would agree with the poster sandman. Jesus paid the price- from the cross he said 'Tetelestai' -' paid in full'. Every spiritual blessing is in Christ (Ephesians 1:3)

EDIT: a common usage is the idea of "paying the price for revival", which means that revival would not come unless "a price is paid".

I don't believe there's a text in the bible that says 'paying the price for revival'. However sometimes in the Charismatic there are layers of tradition, based on new prophecies, new teachings and NDEs.

It's an unpopular viewpoint here but I would advise you to have the bible, the Word of God, as your primary resource for life and Godliness. The seed is the Word of God.

The key IMHO is preaching the true gospel to people- wherever the true gospel is preached there is fruit.
Fruit is an unavoidable product of truth. And I would advise you must hear the true gospel daily, to cleanse your mind from the many false gospels prevalent around us.

Some of the things you mentioned, prayer for example. I would see this more as relational, fellowship with God rather than as a work or price you would have to pay.

God Bless, hope this is useful :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Price is YOU...

This is what many are afraid of - total surrender.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does total surrender look like?

We are called to walk by faith not by sight.

You cant dip your toe into the ocean of God's love, you have to jump right in without holding your nose.

But in Truth it isn't a freakout of losing control.

His order was always better than ours - we messed up - He is the answer.

Letting go of all and surrendering to Him is to allow His order to work through you for His Glory and your good.

Reactions: messianist
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pay the price. Take sin.. we know Christ already died for the sin of this world yet.. sin still has a price and it equals death. There is no sin that does not come with a price in this world. That price He paid was not the freedom to sin.

Now with God it does seem (Not good with words forgive me) some growth.. some greater move with God there does come a price. Its like me going to Oklahoma from Washington state. There is so much to this story but.. I got this thought to go say good by to a old friend that just happen to know of two people going to Oklahoma. So as we were getting into Oklahoma the driver said she knew someone that went to Oral Roberts Univ that I might stay with. Yeah I was going blind. No job no place to stay lol. But she said she had no clue where that school was. At the same exact time we were talking about this the car behind us the guy keeps pointing up.

So we pull over to this info stand and he is right behind us. Comes up says "didn't you see me pointing up?" Yes we answer. He said "the lord told me you don't know how to get to Oral Roberts Univ and I am to show you the way". HAHA WOW praise GOD.. man that happen to me and STILL just wow.

So Stayed with her friend that knew someone else. I go to look for a job the 1st day get a full time night time job just a block to two from the school. Now the guy I was staying with fell asleep at work lost his job and the place he was staying at so we all would have to find a new place to stay. I had never left home before so now I am getting home sick. They call me "we found a place to stay but we need you. The money you have is exactly what we need".

See I REALLY REALLY wanted to go home.. was questioning everything.. oh no matter what you think or see God do in your life great or small you can still question. I had a choice...that choice was the price. Its always something like this. God about to do something great in your life? Yeah the enemy is going to come in hard and fast....or God will say.. ok left or right its your choice. Easy way leave or to you trust me for what I told you I would do ..you can't see the answer feel it.. trust me. Things like this.. not always but can me.

We tend to think when we miss it its over..haha never with God. Maybe that moment.. yet it always gets better.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paying the price = surrendering to God in every area. Accepting what His Word says about our thoughts, values, relationships, time, priorities, money, and every other topic.

We want to hold things against people while He says love them as ourselves and forgive. We want things to go our way - smooth sailing while He says there's going to be trials and we can be overcomers. etc

Accept His perfect will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Paying the price = surrendering to God in every area. Accepting what His Word says about our thoughts, values, relationships, time, priorities, money, and every other topic.

We want to hold things against people while He says love them as ourselves and forgive. We want things to go our way - smooth sailing while He says there's going to be trials and we can be overcomers. etc

Accept His perfect will.
That is a pretty good summary.

For me the price is sacrificing the time consuming distractions that I like so much, but in the end are worth less than nothing. It's also letting go of the weight of my past, (Hebrews 12:1).

For the apostle Paul it was pride and any importance of this world, and I dare say that we could all go that far ourselves.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Based on Proverbs 2 concerning wisdom there are two prices you have to pay: seeking and doing (obeying). These principles are true for many breakthroughs.

Proverbs 2
My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
2 turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding—
3 indeed, if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
4 and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7 He holds success in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
8 for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.

9 Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path.
10 For wisdom will enter your heart,
and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
11 Discretion will protect you,
and understanding will guard you.
-------------------------

20 Thus you will walk in the ways of the good
and keep to the paths of the righteous.
21 For the upright will live in the land,
and the blameless will remain in it;

• Useful
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes sir!
Count the cost
Pick up your cross
Mathew chapter 10 iirc speaks volumes

so put on your armor ⚔️
Pray without ceasing and
FIGHT that good fight ;knowing that He who’s in us
is greater than he who’s in the world

hey! It’s obedience so just do it
pray without ceasing

The cost?
If you have to ask how much it costs….
Ijk
But it costs your life
Lose it and you’ll find it
Amen!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
After 1-11, Rom 12 gives us His order:
"Brothers and sisters, in view of all we have just shared about God’s compassion, I encourage you to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, dedicated to God and pleasing to him. This kind of worship is appropriate for you. 2 Don’t become like the people of this world. Instead, change the way you think. Then you will always be able to determine what God really wants—what is good, pleasing, and perfect."

"Because of the kindness that God has shown me, I ask you not to think of yourselves more highly than you should. Instead, your thoughts should lead you to use good judgment based on what God has given each of you as believers. 4 Our bodies have many parts, but these parts don’t all do the same thing. 5 In the same way, even though we are many individuals, Christ makes us one body and individuals who are connected to each other. 6 God in his kindness gave each of us different gifts. If your gift is speaking what God has revealed, make sure what you say agrees with the Christian faith. 7 If your gift is serving, then devote yourself to serving. If it is teaching, devote yourself to teaching. 8 If it is encouraging others, devote yourself to giving. encouragement. If it is sharing, be generous. If it is leadership, lead enthusiastically. If it is helping people in need, help them cheerfully."

"Love sincerely. Hate evil. Hold on to what is good."
Rom 12

Last edited:
Upvote 0