Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it true that apostle Paul was hung upside down on the cross?" I'm sure many of you have heard the same thing. Is there any proof."
429.gif

Harry...

Ted Lang

Checking Out SOON!
Jul 13, 2014
✟497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that was Peter and that is according to early church stories.

I've never seen any record in scripture that says Paul was killed for his faith.

To get "proof" we would have to find someone who was there and see if they got any video with their camera phone or their Go Pro. Barring that, we would have to take the story concerning that like from Josephus er somebody

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Is it true that apostle Paul was hung upside down on the cross?"

The "Tradition" is that Peter was crucified upside down, and that Paul was beheaded (or maybe set free).

"Is there any proof."

This is "Tradition" speaking.

Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think that was Peter and that is according to early church stories.

I've never seen any record in scripture that says Paul was killed for his faith.

To get "proof" we would have to find someone who was there and see if they got any video with their camera phone or their Go Pro. Barring that, we would have to take the story concerning that like from Josephus er somebody

Whoops... You guys got me. :doh:I actually meant to say Peter. Traditionally... Paul was beheaded in Rome. I am more curious about Peter being hung that way. Are there any records or any evidence at all to support Peter's death on the cross? (mainly upside down)

Thanks

Harry...

Upvote 0

Ted Lang

Checking Out SOON!
Jul 13, 2014
✟497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Whoops... You guys got me. :doh:I actually meant to say Peter. Traditionally... Paul was beheaded in Rome. I am more curious about Peter being hung that way. Are there any records or any evidence at all to support Peter's death on the cross? (mainly upside down)

Thanks

Harry...

Maybe someone caught that on their camera phone so this can be proven?

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

Thanks

Harry...

Good question Harry.
I have heard this preached many times.

The origin of the symbol comes from the Catholic tradition that Simon Peter was crucified upside down, as told by Origen of Alexandria. The tradition first appears in the "Martyrdom of Peter", a fragmented text found in, but possibly predating, the apocryphal Acts of Peter, which was written no later than 200 A.D. It is believed that Peter requested this form of crucifixion as he felt he was unworthy to be crucified in the same manner that Jesus d
ied. As such, some Catholics use this cross as a symbol of humility and unworthiness in comparison to Jesus.

According to Roman Catholicism, the Pope is Peter's successor as Bishop of Rome. Therefore the Papacy is often represented by symbols that are also used to represent Peter — one example being the Keys of Heaven, another the Petrine Cross.

Circumstances surrounding the martyrdom of Saint Peter are sketchy. The New Testament only records the death of the Apostle James so most other knowledge of the deaths of the other disciples relies on tradition.

After the Ascension of Jesus, Peter became leader of the Apostles. This is made evident in the Acts of the Apostles.

Saint Peter was instrumental in bringing the Gospel to the gentiles and gave his support in preaching to them at the Council of Jerusalem. After St. Peter baptized the Roman pagan Cornelius, he was arrested and imprisoned by King Herod Agrippa but he was aided in escape by an angel. Saint Peter's missionary efforts then began to include such pagan cities as Antioch and Cornith. He traveled to Rome later and gave reference to the Eternal City in his first Epistle. Saint Peter is recognized as the Prince of the Apostles and the first Supreme Pontiff.

In research completed through 1963 to 1968 directed by Margherita Guarducci, the death of St. Peter is believed to have occurred on October 13.A.D. 64 during the festivities of the occasion of the 'dies imperii' (regnal day anniversary) of Emperor Nero. This took place three months after the disastrous fire that destroyed the city of Rome. Emperor Nero blamed the fire on the Christians. The 'dies imperii' took placed exactly ten years after Nero acceded the throne and was accompanied by much bloodshed.

The ancient historian Josephus describes ways the Roman soldiers amused themselves by crucifying criminals in different positions. While the position attributed to the crucifixion of Saint Peter is plausible, tradition says St. Peter requested not to be crucified in the same manner as Jesus. St. Peter said he was not worthy to die in the same way as his Lord. So the Roman soldiers crucified him upside down.

More gruesome details concerning the martyrdom of Saint Peter have circulated for ages; including that it took Peter three days to die upside down. Death in the ordinary position of crucifixion causes suffocation but one does not suffocate when hanging upside down. There are stories that the soldiers attempted to burn St. Peter crucified on his cross but he did not die. After three days he is said to have been beheaded while hanging upside down.

Clement of Rome, in his Letter to the Corinthians (chap 5) wrote, ""Let us take the noble examples of our own generation. Through jealousy and envy the greatest and most just pillars of the Church were persecuted, and came even unto death… Peter, through unjust envy, endured not one or two but many labours, and at last, having delivered his testimony, departed unto the place of glory due to him

Harry these are some references I pulled off Catholic sites.
Although there is a consensus of early scholars that it is true but cannot be proven.

As for me I believe it to be true.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Paul knew he was going to his death. He wrote like he was departing. I think we'd have more epistles had he lived longer.

He suffered many things for the Kingdom and you'd think that martyrdom would be the capstone on a wonderful ministry. I'm sure it was a great boost for the church, as the church has always profited from martyrs and the threat of persecution.

It causes everyone to get serious and to make choices. Grace comes! It's mighty!

It's my personal opinion that many of the early traditions and burial places are not true. I don't think you'd last 5 minutes upside down (crucified). Part of the suffering is the agony of impending asphyxiation that they try and avoid by slightly lifting up on their feet.

Maybe it sounds bad, but when I see the crusaders mark out a spot where something supposedly occurred, (to me) that pretty much rules it out as being valid. Things got "religious" pretty quickly and too many pieces of the "true cross" were going around; churches making money by using relics as a draw for "penance" and fund raising, etc. They also used relics as part of the "peace and truce of God" (means of manipulating and constraining a soldier into doing the "churches" bidding in wartime etiquette.

Last edited:
Upvote 0