Eastern Orthodox Neophyte
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have a recommendation for a Patristics book or a "sayings" of the early church fathers book that they would recommend? I'm looking for something that would have actual early writings of canonized saints and not paraphrases or summaries by modern authors. I'm looking for something besides the popular patristics and 38 volumes of patristics put together by Schaff, something more portable like selections of the most important quotes.

Can anyone comment on this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1565633962/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1HFLDTTZQ4V85&colid=1EXDW1DODUZ4R&psc=0

or this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Daily-Readin...13879908&sr=1-5&keywords=early+church+fathers

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not familiar with either of them, but looking at the things often bought by others who bought it ... you might be able to find a better collection. Especially as far as the leatherbound one.

I receive a daily quote via email, which I like. Not sure if you'd be interested?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not familiar with either of them, but looking at the things often bought by others who bought it ... you might be able to find a better collection. Especially as far as the leatherbound one.

I receive a daily quote via email, which I like. Not sure if you'd be interested?
I'm interested!

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone have a recommendation for a Patristics book or a "sayings" of the early church fathers book that they would recommend? I'm looking for something that would have actual early writings of canonized saints and not paraphrases or summaries by modern authors. I'm looking for something besides the popular patristics and 38 volumes of patristics put together by Schaff, something more portable like selections of the most important quotes.

Can anyone comment on this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1565633962/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1HFLDTTZQ4V85&colid=1EXDW1DODUZ4R&psc=0

or this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Daily-Readin...13879908&sr=1-5&keywords=early+church+fathers

download early church fathers - Google Search

There are places online you can download the 38 volumes for free.

Also, there are a few places online where you can search them.

Early Church Fathers - Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Early Church Fathers
Early Church Fathers
CHURCH FATHERS: Home

A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs: A ...
Book by David Bercot

Early Christian Fathers
Cyril Richardson

The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations
Michael W. Holmes

The Apostolic Fathers - Volume 1 & 2
Bart D. Ehrman

early church fathers beliefs - Google Search

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
download early church fathers - Google Search

There are places online you can download the 38 volumes for free.

Also, there are a few places online where you can search them.

Early Church Fathers - Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Early Church Fathers
Early Church Fathers
CHURCH FATHERS: Home

A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs: A ...
Book by David Bercot

Early Christian Fathers
Cyril Richardson

The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations
Michael W. Holmes

The Apostolic Fathers - Volume 1 & 2
Bart D. Ehrman

early church fathers beliefs - Google Search

for a good integradion read HISTORY OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH*

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The 4 volumes of the Philokalia are most influential in Orthodoxy and should be read carefully.

Philokalia - OrthodoxWiki

While a priest or another spiritual guide is usually recommended, I am unsure if this is always possible. There is a book by Fr Anthony Coniaris to help the layperson approach the Philokalia. I have not read it since I only recently became aware of it; Fr Anthony is a good Orthodox writer. See: https://www.amazon.com/Philokalia-Spirituality-Father-Anthony-Coniaris/dp/1880971380

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A few things to remember; many writings have not been translated as of yet. That's why you may have encountered quotes where you can't find the primary text anywhere. As far as the early Fathers you can find most online (but not everything has been translatedof theirs. The acts of the councils are abridged for example the complete acts of Chalcedon would be hundreds of pages long).
Besides websites that have already been mentioned there is also Tertullian.org/Fathers/
Later Fathers or more obscure writings you may have to search to see if they have printed a volume of their works in english.

Upvote 0

graphite412

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The acts of the councils are abridged for example the complete acts of Chalcedon would be hundreds of pages long).

I can't seem to find any books on the acts of the councils either outside of the book in the patristics collection on ccel.org
It would be nice to find something that actually has the written acts and canons and not paraphrases. Something perhaps similar to the Rudder but more for dogmatic statements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't seem to find any books on the acts of the councils either outside of the book in the patristics collection on ccel.org
It would be nice to find something that actually has the written acts and canons and not paraphrases. Something perhaps similar to the Rudder but more for dogmatic statements.

NPNF Vol 14 on the Councils has them. another volume (I forget which) has the Apostolic Constitutions as well.

• Informative
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

graphite412

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NPNF Vol 14 on the Councils has them. another volume (I forget which) has the Apostolic Constitutions as well.

Yes I do know about those, but I was wondering if there was anything more in depth. It seems strange that with the councils being so important to our faith, that we wouldn't have the entirety of them translated into English.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I came across I believe on google books the acts of the 4rh council in Chalcedon. Basically no paraphrasing just some footnotes to explain the people and stuff. The book was over 600 pages! It had everything from the agreement on territory between Antioch and Jerusalem, all these little things that took place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums