small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Tomorrow is "patriot day" in the USA. As a Canadian I wish all my American friends a happy and fulfilling day. I am particularly fond of the definition of a patriot by a great American:

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
~~~ Mark Twain

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Patriotism, in popular usage, is one of those very fluid subjective terms where everyone seems to define it in their own image.

While it's a nice sentiment, the purely semantic definition "devotion to and vigorous support for one's country." isn't really the standard most Americans use to define it.

Some factions say...
"We need to tear it all down, and rebuild it from scratch"

Other factions say...
"If you don't 100% agree with me, politically, then you're unpatriotic"

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Tomorrow is "patriot day" in the USA. As a Canadian I wish all my American friends a happy and fulfilling day. I am particularly fond of the definition of a patriot by a great American:

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
~~~ Mark Twain
I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone refer to 9/11 as Patriot Day. We usually just call it 9/11 but thank you, nonetheless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of course. But, I've never heard anyone refer to it as "patriots' day".
Yes, by an act of Congress, it has indeed been designated as Patriot Day since shortly after 9/11. You may recall also that the law passed after 9/11 which authorized the federal government to keep tabs on the people is called the Patriot Act.

However, there is also another day by the similar name, Patriots' Day, which is observed in New England. It honors those who fell in the Revolutionary War.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never heard of that... so it's new to me as an American.

My favorite quote on patriotism is from Oscar Wilde, “Exaggerated patriotism is the most insincere form of self-conceit... Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

• Informative
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never heard of that... so it's new to me as an American.

My favorite quote on patriotism is from Oscar Wilde, “Exaggerated patriotism is the most insincere form of self-conceit... Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.
I like, “patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel” by Samuel Johnson. It’s not so much a critique on patriotism itself but of the people who put up a false patriotism to hide their true selves.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I like, “patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel” by Samuel Johnson. It’s not so much a critique on patriotism itself but of the people who put up a false patriotism to hide their true selves.

Yes, another great quote from another great man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It just showed up on my calendar. But I clearly recall the events of that day in history.
You mean 911. when the trade center went down and a few other places. I live in CA. I hear the news talking about it. And maybe the victims. But we dont celebrate it. And I don't know anyone, that was in it. It's just another day to me.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You mean 911. when the trade center went down and a few other places. I live in CA. I hear the news talking about it. And maybe the victims. But we dont celebrate it. And I don't know anyone, that was in it. It's just another day to me.
I live halfway across the world, and we have no connection to anyone either. Every year my wife gets saddened on 11 September. She found it highly traumatic, and always goes on about how terrible it must have been for the families. She literally has been messaging me about it right now.

I've pointed out that we don't really feel the same about the anniversary of the Hindenburg, the Titanic, Pearl Harbour, or Hiroshima and Nagasaki; so it is really just because she lived through it, and watched it happening on the television. Perhaps it is more an indictment on us, for our lack of empathy.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I live halfway across the world, and we have no connection to anyone either. Every year my wife gets saddened on 11 September. She found it highly traumatic, and always goes on about how terrible it must have been for the families.
Yes, for the family, friends and people, that was there. This as traumatic. But most people pretend it's so traumatic. When it has nothing to do with them. We might have worried the first few day. but it's been over for along time.

I've pointed out that we don't really feel the same about the anniversary of the Hindenburg, the Titanic, Pearl Harbour, or Hiroshima and Nagasaki; so it is really just because she lived through it, and watched it happening on the television. Perhaps it is more an indictment on us, for our lack of empathy.
Everyone lived through it on TV. But it's over. Pretend to be understanding to you wife. And leave it alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

And in the States Christianity is at least a close second, in the very same way.

Upvote 0