Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are freedom of speech issues when you start getting into specific messages.

The use of copyrighted images (Bert and Ernie) could be a problem, especially since they are being used for profit (unless the baker has permission from the copyright holder).

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Make it so ... Actor Defends Christian Bakers Who Were Fined for Refusing to Ice a Gay 'Bert and Ernie' Cake | TownHall

"It was not because it was a gay couple that they objected, it was not because they were celebrating some sort of marriage or an agreement between them," said Stewart. "It was the actual words on the cake they objected to. Because they found the words offensive."

He continued: "I would support their rights to say no, this is personally offensive to my beliefs, I will not do it."​

showbiz_celeb_pics_220512_patrick_stewart.jpg

Good for Patrick Stewart! Personally, I would like to see someone enlist the support of the NI Equality Commission in defending their right to challenge the imperialist colonialism of authentic Islam (and Islam's policy of dhimmitude toward non-muslims who refuse to convert to Islam but who are permitted to live as 'subjugated persons' by their Islamic overlords) and thereby expose the NI Equality Commission for the moral cowards that they are?!

Simonline.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would agree on that. But that was NOT what the baker did. They accepted the contract, including payment in full in advance and then backed out 2 days later.

They got off light in my opinion.

They took the order originally to avoid embarrassment or confrontation but they could not fulfill this order because it contradicts their Christian faith.

most people in the Uk let alone Northern Ireland where faith is stronger are opposed to this decision which clearly violates freedom of conscience.

That said the judge may have correctly interpreted the 2006 guidelines which clearly need to be changed to allow for freedom of conscience.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
They took the order originally to avoid embarrassment or confrontation but they could not fulfill this order because it contradicts their Christian faith.

most people in the Uk let alone Northern Ireland where faith is stronger are opposed to this decision which clearly violates freedom of conscience.

That said the judge may have correctly interpreted the 2006 guidelines which clearly need to be changed to allow for freedom of conscience.

So their faith is not strong enough to endure embarrassment or confrontation but is so strong that they can't fill the order!

Christian doublethink at its best!

Or more likely there were other customers there and they feared losing those orders if their attitudes became known.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So their faith is not strong enough to endure embarrassment or confrontation but is so strong that they can't fill the order!

Christian doublethink at its best!

Or more likely there were other customers there and they feared losing those orders if their attitudes became known.

I think a persons more settled decision is more indicative of their real convictions. I should imagine there was a conflict in the ladies mind between the business persons instinct to please and serve the customer and the deeper desire to please God. In the end she did the right thing and that is what counts.

These sorts of decisions should not be penalised.

If I went to a gay bakery and asked for a cake that said "oppose gay marriage" on it do you think they should fulfill? Or if I directly quoted passages from Corithians or Romans or Genesis or Leviticus that they might not like.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually agree with Mr Steward on this issue. The gay couple in question are locally known are being "difficult" so I've no doubt it was done with malice of intent and therefore the shame is on them.
Gareth Lee isn't a "couple". It wasn't a wedding cake, it was a cake for a party in support of International Day Against Homophobia.

2015-03-18_new_7889385_I4.JPG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Gareth Lee isn't a "couple". It wasn't a wedding cake, it was a cake for a party in support of International Day Against Homophobia.

So it was to support homosexuality then. Why should a baker have to support something like that if he has religious or consciencious objections to it?

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So it was to support homosexuality then. Why should a baker have to support something like that if he has religious or consciencious objections to it?

How is providing a service for which he charges money "supporting" anything other than his own business?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The court - this is in Northern Ireland, btw - ruled that producing the cake for money is not supporting the cause. Had this case happened in the US, the plaintiff would have lost because of the "compelled speech" issue. Different laws in different lands.

Reactions: Cute Tink
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The court - this is in Northern Ireland, btw - ruled that producing the cake for money is not supporting the cause. Had this case happened in the US, the plaintiff would have lost because of the "compelled speech" issue. Different laws in different lands.

Some Christians place God's word over what a human court says.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How is providing a service for which he charges money "supporting" anything other than his own business?

We've been over this before. No need to repeat it all again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

If it's his own business he's supporting, as you say, then how is it anyone's concern other than his whether he accepts money and does a certain thing for it?

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If it's his own business he's supporting, as you say, then how is it anyone's concern other than his whether he accepts money and does a certain thing for it?

There is a customer involved. You left that part out. The customer has concerns as well.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is a customer involved. You left that part out. The customer has concerns as well.

So the baker can then refer them to another baker, or offer them a different product. Or the baker can tell the customer about his faith if the customer asks about it. Don't you think the customer can handle these things? If not, you don't think much of this customer.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So the baker can then refer them to another baker, or offer them a different product. Or the baker can tell the customer about his faith if the customer asks about it. Don't you think the customer can handle these things? If not, you don't think much of this customer.

The baker could also contract out the cake, or just make the product requested. Some of what you are suggesting may be a violation of the law in some areas. Can the baker not handle the law? If not, then you don't think much of this baker.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.