Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Make it so ... Actor Defends Christian Bakers Who Were Fined for Refusing to Ice a Gay 'Bert and Ernie' Cake | TownHall

"It was not because it was a gay couple that they objected, it was not because they were celebrating some sort of marriage or an agreement between them," said Stewart. "It was the actual words on the cake they objected to. Because they found the words offensive."

He continued: "I would support their rights to say no, this is personally offensive to my beliefs, I will not do it."​

showbiz_celeb_pics_220512_patrick_stewart.jpg

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Seems to me the gay couple was trying to stir up trouble and cause a showdown. Shame on them. What if a member of KKK went to a bakery and asked them to ice a cake with something racially offensive? Should they be required to do it lest they be hauled into court?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why is this thread in "American Politics" when we are talking about a court ruling in the United Kingdom?
Because it is not about the ruling but about one of the most famous actors in US television and film speaking out on a hot political topic.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Because it is not about the ruling but about one of the most famous actors in US television and film speaking out on a hot political topic.
You do know that he's British?
So, a ruling by a British court is commented on by a British actor and it belongs in American politics. OK, I see.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You do know that he's British?
I do. That's why I identified him as one of the most famous actors in American TV and film.
So, a ruling by a British court is commented on by a British actor and it belongs in American politics. OK, I see.
Political topics often transcend international boundaries. Frequently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JasonClark

May 24, 2015
✟840.00
Faith
Atheist
If it was the words they objected to why didn't they just tell the buyer to change the words and then they would make the cake?
No one be they religious or not will write something they don't agree with, even a newspaper would refuse to print an advert that was offensive.
If I went to a black baker and asked him to write " the only good blacks are dead blacks" on a cake no one would be surprised if he refused.
I think there is more to this refusal to make the cake than meets the eye.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I do. That's why I identified him as one of the most famous actors in American TV and film.

Except the case that would be equivalent to this, in the US, the baker was protected by the courts under the First Amendment.

And it does seem ironic to have a Republican use the opinion of a celebrity in support of their views.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This story is a very different one than a couple that wants a regular wedding cake with a same sex topper. The baker in this case was well within their rights to refuse the request.

I would agree on that. But that was NOT what the baker did. They accepted the contract, including payment in full in advance and then backed out 2 days later.

They got off light in my opinion.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why is this thread in "American Politics" when we are talking about a court ruling in the United Kingdom?

Because we have a few members whose entire weltanshauung is political and thus we not only have threads about television shows, climate change, sports figures and police shootings, but some who will use the most tortured "logic" to defend posting threads in the wrong subforum....

^^^ ... see what I mean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

th

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He's a British actor commenting on something that happen in Northern Ireland.

This doesn't belong here.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
He's a British actor commenting on something that happen in Northern Ireland.

This doesn't belong here.
Not sure why you say that. A quick search shows that there have been at least four other Christian baker threads in this forum within just the past 12 months. It seems more likely that your objection is to a prominent American television personality taking a stance on a relevant and timely political topic which you don't like.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.