LDS Patriarchial Blessings: Genuine Prophecy or Wishful Thinking ???

Upper Cut

Jan 17, 2016
Florida
✟15,249.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was born into a nominally Mormon family. Much of the time attend services alone because my parents (Mother) was not very active in the church during that time. She had received a blessing like this one at some point in her past and she shared it with me and maybe my siblings as well. to the best of my recollection it was similar in scope and content. I never really felt welcome in the church, which may have been partially my own insecurities at having to attend services for years (probably between the ages 12 to 15) alone. In my early adult years while serving in the Navy I tried to obtain this blessing and was flatly rejected due to the issue of tithing. I was also excluded physically many times growing up from entering the Sanctuary/Chapel because my clothing was of bad repair, out of date or did not fit well and I did not own a tie or a belt for that matter, and obtaining clothing to meet the requirements to worship in the Sanctuary/Chapel were completely out of the realm of possibility for my family. I was fortunate though and worked with a very devout Christian man while stationed in Puerto Rico. After much witnessing, bible reading/study and prayer I started attending services at his church (a small non denominational bible church) and this had a direct impact on me leaving the Mormon church. The bible church thing for me was not the answer though, so I wondered around, occasionally attended services at the base Chapel then nothing for a long time. Then I met several Navy chaplains who were Lutheran (LCMS) and that is where I ended up. However things are changing in the LCMS and I feel the creep toward liberalism has started, I may have to consider a move to maybe the WELS or take a very radical turn toward the Salvation Army...wish me luck

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Question for you: are you really interested in these answers, or is this a plagiarized list of questions trying to prove Mormonism wrong via the-through-tons-of-spegetti-at-the-wall-and-see-what-happens technique?

If you're uninterested in the answers, then there's no point in me answering (see my point #2 earlier).
He is very interested, so much so that on our thread he gave a rant about the time he spent putting it together to just have you dismiss it as possibly plagerized. So, if you don't want to answer the questions just say so but don't call someone else's intellectual honesty into question.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Since you have no concept of respect and what is sacred you have no idea what you are talking about.

I would presume he does. However, as he is not of a cult mindset, he does have the concept that secret things are "sacred." Like sex with children, what goes on in the compound, a leader's finances..etc

Secrets aren't sacred in a religion, only in cults. Secrets are tools for manipulation. The first thing a manipulator does is establish secrets.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There are events which the Lord asks us to keep sacred and holy.
We hold Communion as sacred and holy yet we celebrate it openly...Our church is open to all who want to come and hear gospel. No conditions, no prior approval needed. We are all sinners and our "hospital" is open to all.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
We hold Communion as sacred and holy yet we celebrate it openly...Our church is open to all who want to come and hear gospel. No conditions, no prior approval needed. We are all sinners and our "hospital" is open to all.

Indeed - some churches (Copts, Orthodox, Catholics) practice closed communion... to them it is a safeguard to make sure they are not throwing pearls before swine... yet they do this practice openly.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's still someone's private blessing. And there are lots of things on the internet which should be kept private and not on the internet at all (like a mountain of sexual things).

Yes, religion, secrets, and sex, that's not disturbing at all.

If the person voluntarily put their blessing online, then I cannot imagine the problem. If a person speaks with their priest/pastor and records/writes the conversation and then puts it online, no one would think anything of it. Confidentiality is only an issue when a person reveals personal information for healing and it is later used against them.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Your post mentioning the church being a sinner's "hospital" brought something to mind.

If... If Mormonism was the true church (it is not) but if by some flight of fancy it was, the only way to become saved is to be a good standing member and pay a 15% tithe to get to heaven. :preach:

That does not sound like a restoration of any church and would suck for the poor (so you know it's not Jesus church). Our Jesus told us that what one does unto one of the least of these, that person does onto me. :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, how was I disrespectful?

I'm sorry I sort of took our my frustration on you.

A few years back I visit New York and went to St Patrick Cathedral, it was beautiful but as I walked around I felt like an intruder and I felt confused. People were praying and worshiping, that seems like a sacred thing to me, no one should interrupt another's prayer as they communicate with the Lord. I would never dream of going into a catholic service to take pictures and put them on Youtube since I am not a member of their faith. I certainly would not gawk and laugh at how they chose to worship even if I disagree with the way they pray to their Saints. I would not do it to a revival meeting although I disagree with alter calls. There is a reverence which we must all show each other.

Jesus taught
"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite fully use you, and persecute you"

I'm not your enemy I'm your neighbor and the videos which have been posted here are offensive to me and my fellow Mormons, I feel 'despite fully used and persecuted'. If you treat your Mormon neighbors this way I hate to see how you treat your enemies. I'm hoping kinder more Christian minds will take it down.

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I would presume he does. However, as he is not of a cult mindset, he does have the concept that secret things are "sacred." Like sex with children, what goes on in the compound, a leader's finances..etc

Secrets aren't sacred in a religion, only in cults. Secrets are tools for manipulation. The first thing a manipulator does is establish secrets.

Anyone who truly understands LDS theology will realize just how shocking, offensive, and vulgar this post is.

The main body of the church has nothing to do with the FLDS offshoot.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyone who truly understands LDS theology will realize just how shocking, offensive, and vulgar this post is.

The main body of the church has nothing to do with the FLDS offshoot.

I was actually speaking in general about cults.

Upvote 0