Not open for further replies.

Uberpod

Dec 21, 2008
✟15,127.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I hope you don't mean that without qualification. Is a surgeon obligated to remove a perfect healthy gall bladder just because a patient asks for it? If a patient with a minor back strain asks for 100 160mg Oxycontin tabs, is a physician required to prescribe it? I work in health care, and some patients do request things that are medically inappropriate. A medical provider can't refuse care in a life-threatening emergency, but in elective situations, he must be given leeway to use his bona fide medical judgement.
Healthcare providers must make judgments based on medical necessity and risk/benefit analysis and medical ethics prescribed by the profession they are licensed to practice NOT personal moral or religious concerns. Otherwise, I suggest that people who cannot respect patient boundaries, find a different field.

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All of us would like a world that would cater to our every whim. Sadly todays women would drive 1000 miles to get their BC probably. Either way many of us live in areas where we have to drive far ways to get something. The world should not have to cater to a pill thats designed for harlotry.

Promiscuity, hedonism and selfishness.

Harlotry?

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have an IUD, and it's not for birth control, it was a method to stop excessive bleeding, it saved me from needing more invasive procedures and potentially a hysterectomy. (The tubal ligation was for birth control... if having sex with my husband makes me a harlot so be it) Originally we tried using oral contraceptives but it didn't work, for some reason the mirena did.

Driving a distance to a pharmacy or having to have prescriptions mail ordered makes sense when their literally is no pharmacy closer, having to drive miles for a legal medication because some employee wants to make a statement isn't reasonable.

Any form of sterilization(direct or indirect) is a grave sin because it denys natural law and the openess to life which is contrary to God's law.

Also an IUD is the LAST thing a doctor would use in the case of heavy bleeding and women with menstural dysfunction. Considering IUDs can actually increase bleeding and increases the chance of infection and perforation(and the only reason the IUD is stopping the bleeding is because of the time released hormone). Menstural dysfunction is usually treated with progesterone or a strong oral contraceptive, not an IUD.

Upvote 0

LoisGriffin

I am not a sheep! I follow only one!
Jul 1, 2008
United Kingdom
✟10,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also an IUD is the LAST thing a doctor would use in the case of heavy bleeding and women with menstural dysfunction. Considering IUDs can actually increase bleeding and increases the chance of infection and perforation(and the only reason the IUD is stopping the bleeding is because of the time released hormone). Menstural dysfunction is usually treated with progesterone or a strong oral contraceptive, not an IUD.

When oral contraceptive is bad for the person (it was for me) then its not a bad option actually. Mirena does not increase bleeding at all. I am still at the start so have light bleeding (it goes on for about three months according to my doctor). It has also stopped all the horrible symptoms I got with my not really monthly cycle.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Any form of sterilization(direct or indirect) is a grave sin because it denys natural law and the openess to life which is contrary to God's law.

And where in the bible does it say this?

Full disclosure, my husband got sterilized last year after we had our third baby in three years. My body will not tolerate another pregnancy. It barely tolerated the last one. We love kids and we'd love to have more, and we probably will - just not the traditional way. So we certainly have not denied any openess to life.

IUDs are used when oral contraceptives cannot be used. I was on an IUD for this very reason during my time as a single mom. I wasn't sexually active AT ALL, but I needed to control my periods. I couldn't take the pill and progesterone shots made me break out in hives. The IUD helped immensely and I would never judge anyone who used one.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
And where in the bible does it say this?

Full disclosure, my husband got sterilized last year after we had our third baby in three years. My body will not tolerate another pregnancy. It barely tolerated the last one. We love kids and we'd love to have more, and we probably will - just not the traditional way. So we certainly have not denied any openess to life.

IUDs are used when oral contraceptives cannot be used. I was on an IUD for this very reason during my time as a single mom. I wasn't sexually active AT ALL, but I needed to control my periods. I couldn't take the pill and progesterone shots made me break out in hives. The IUD helped immensely and I would never judge anyone who used one.

Beckie, out of curiosity how do you feel about those who chose to use an IUD for birth control purposes? Keeping in mind that an IUD prevents a fertilized ovum from implanting.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Beckie, out of curiosity how do you feel about those who chose to use an IUD for birth control purposes? Keeping in mind that an IUD prevents a fertilized ovum from implanting.

An IUD stops the egg from becoming fertilized, not a fertilized egg from implanting. In the rare case that an egg would be fertilized, then yes, the IUD changes the lining of the uterus which would make it very difficult for a fertilized egg to implant.

That said, I don't care for birth control that stops a pregnancy versus birth control that prevents a pregnancy. Therefore I personally wouldn't use an IUD as birth control only because of the way it changes the lining of the uterus.

But I don't think someone is wrong for using it as birth control - and that also depends on their reasoning. Using any birth control to have premarital sex would be wrong in my eyes. Intent goes a long way.

My IUD helped me out but in most cases I've seen (amongst my friends, peers and colleagues) the IUD has been somewhat damaging and has affected their ability to get pregnant in later years.

Birth control as a whole I don't think is overly healthy for our bodies. It does mess with the natural order of things, unfortunately.

I hope this answers your question. I don't want you thinking I'm trying to dodge it or anything. I just often hesitate to judge people using birth control unless I know their circumstances.

Upvote 0

LoisGriffin

I am not a sheep! I follow only one!
Jul 1, 2008
United Kingdom
✟10,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I don't think someone is wrong for using it as birth control - and that also depends on their reasoning. Using any birth control to have premarital sex would be wrong in my eyes. Intent goes a long way.

I believe that the IUD is not recommended for anyone who is going to have more than one partner.

My IUD helped me out but in most cases I've seen (amongst my friends, peers and colleagues) the IUD has been somewhat damaging and has affected their ability to get pregnant in later years.

I read similar when I was researching the IUD before I got it. It didn't bother me because I don't want children but I did give my husband all the facts because he has always been a bit unsure about being childfree.

Birth control as a whole I don't think is overly healthy for our bodies. It does mess with the natural order of things, unfortunately.

I agree with this. I would love not to have to take it. Unfortunately some of us have bodies which don't like to work the way they are meant to.

Great post by the way. I always worry about talking about the IUD because people don't seem to understand it (I think this thread proves it too).

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have an IUD, they are not the same as the IUD's of the past. Mirena is validly prescribed for heavy bleeding, that's why my insurance paid for it even though I didn't need it for birth control. It worked, I am no longer anemic, no longer have any bleeding and the need for endometrial ablation or hysterectomy is gone.

I'll leave it to god to judge me for my tubal, your judgement doesn't count.

Reactions: LoisGriffin
Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When oral contraceptive is bad for the person (it was for me) then its not a bad option actually. Mirena does not increase bleeding at all. I am still at the start so have light bleeding (it goes on for about three months according to my doctor). It has also stopped all the horrible symptoms I got with my not really monthly cycle.

Dr. CIC simply ignores facts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wyzaard

Jan 4, 2008
✟7,200.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And witches curdle milk, orange cats contain the devil... lol. Come on, be serious.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
An IUD stops the egg from becoming fertilized, not a fertilized egg from implanting. In the rare case that an egg would be fertilized, then yes, the IUD changes the lining of the uterus which would make it very difficult for a fertilized egg to implant.

That said, I don't care for birth control that stops a pregnancy versus birth control that prevents a pregnancy. Therefore I personally wouldn't use an IUD as birth control only because of the way it changes the lining of the uterus.

I hope this answers your question. I don't want you thinking I'm trying to dodge it or anything. I just often hesitate to judge people using birth control unless I know their circumstances.

Hi Beckie; first let me thank you for your candid and insightful response. I also have to let you know that my wife immediately corrected me after I posted to you informing me that the current IUD's work much differently than one ones of the 80's. I haven't had to deal with them either directly or indirectly so I guess this just slipped my attention over the past decade or so. I am embarrassed to have made such a misinformed statement.

I am not opposed to the use of birth control within marriage, nor do I support extramarital sexual conduct. But, quite honestly if they are going to have sex wouldn't it be better to prevent an unwanted pregnancy? I am however opposed to the use of birth control that acts as an abortifacient. Of course these medications (abortifacients) can be and often are indicated for other purposes to which I cannot object.

Again I truly appreciate your response to these somewhat personal questions.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi Beckie; first let me thank you for your candid and insightful response. I also have to let you know that my wife immediately corrected me after I posted to you informing me that the current IUD's work much differently than one ones of the 80's. I haven't had to deal with them either directly or indirectly so I guess this just slipped my attention over the past decade or so. I am embarrassed to have made such a misinformed statement.

Aren't wives great?? ^_^ Do not be embarrassed. Many people still have an old-fashioned view of IUDs. They've come a long way in the last 20-25 years. And don't feel bad, I don't really recommend them to people. I think they are worse on bodies than oral contraceptives can be. But that is my personal non-medical advice.

I am not opposed to the use of birth control within marriage, nor do I support extramarital sexual conduct. But, quite honestly if they are going to have sex wouldn't it be better to prevent an unwanted pregnancy? I am however opposed to the use of birth control that acts as an abortifacient. Of course these medications (abortifacients) can be and often are indicated for other purposes to which I cannot object.
I guess that's kinda like saying "well, you're gonna rob the bank anyway so here's a gun to protect yourself". Okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but I think you get my drift. I'm certainly not against it being available to unmarried couples who want to use it, but I'm not going to condone its use when it's unmarried couples.

It's when we get into the abortifacients that things get tricky. While some of these types of BC can increase the risk of a miscarriage (or a spontaneous abortion as the medical terminology goes), so can some activities. I think the main birth control that I have a severe issue with is the morning after pill. There is no reason to take this pill other than to stop a pregnancy already beginning. If I had to pick a BC I'd like to see taken off the market, that would be the one.

Again I truly appreciate your response to these somewhat personal questions.
Not a problem in the least. I'll let ya know if they get too personal, but generally when it comes to birth control and stuff, I like to share information to help people get smart about it.

Upvote 0

MissBabylon

hetaere
Nov 22, 2007
Rome
✟15,938.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are two types of IUD, a copper one that often makes a woman bleed more during her menstruation, and a hormonal one (mirena) that makes a woman bleed less (sometimes the periods go away entirely). Doctors may prescribe the mirena for heavy periods, just like the pill. It's a good option for women who don't want a high dose of hormones (the hormones in the IUD are local and therefore a lower dose is sufficient).

Upvote 0

ceejay2005

Feb 9, 2009
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doctors who described themselves as very religious, particularly Protestants and Catholics, were much less likely than others to feel obligated to tell patients about controversial treatments or refer them to other doctors, and were far more likely to tell patients if they had moral objections.
Doctor Finders

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

drGiaus

Putting aside the specifics of this particular case (seeing as how it is an ongoing legal matter), if something like that were done on purpose, should that fall under the caregiver's religious freedoms? If there was a device that caused abortions, and a doctor was strongly anti-abortion, should that doctor be able to remove the device?

If she were doing on purpose, she should be thrown into a male prison butt naked and let the inmates teach her a thing or two about "morals".

All of us would like a world that would cater to our every whim. Sadly todays women would drive 1000 miles to get their BC probably. Either way many of us live in areas where we have to drive far ways to get something. The world should not have to cater to a pill thats designed for harlotry.

So you'ld rather force them to have abortions by denying them the thing they need to keep from being pregnant in the first place.

Great plan!

If you don't want many children then lay off intercourse and stay away from it when you are fertile. If your totally closed off to children then become celibate.

Aw, so you're one of those people who think sex is a necessary evil only to be used to procreate.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
There are two types of IUD, a copper one that often makes a woman bleed more during her menstruation, and a hormonal one (mirena) that makes a woman bleed less (sometimes the periods go away entirely). Doctors may prescribe the mirena for heavy periods, just like the pill. It's a good option for women who don't want a high dose of hormones (the hormones in the IUD are local and therefore a lower dose is sufficient).

Hi MissBabylon; Do they still use the copper based IUD's in the U.S? When corrected by my wife about the Mirena she told me that only the hormonal IUD's were currently in use here.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Doctors who described themselves as very religious, particularly Protestants and Catholics, were much less likely than others to feel obligated to tell patients about controversial treatments or refer them to other doctors, and were far more likely to tell patients if they had moral objections.
Doctor Finders

Actually I am trying very hard to understand what exactly about the issues made in this statement that are unethical. It isn't surprising to find that more conservative physicians are less likely than others to tell patients about "controversial" treatments. Nor do I see an ethical issue involved in telling patients that they have moral objections. The only thing I may have an issue with is a hesitancy to make referrals, but your link didn't provide any evidence to support any of your assertions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.