ColoRaydo

Feb 9, 2017
Colorado
✟33,572.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A South Carolina pastor has defended buying his wife a $200,000 Lamborghini as an anniversary present

Despite the fact that a few items in the article are absolutely false, I believe this was a bad move. I’m not sure how Pastor Gray didn’t consider the backlash of buying a Lamborghini and having it posted on social media.

Even if no church funds were used, and I’m confident that they weren’t, it’s not a good message when a pastor does something like this.

Everyone has a right to buy what they want with their own wealth, but super luxury cars are an extravagance that basically state, “I have trouble spending enough of my money” - not a good message if one is in a position of church leadership.

So where’s the cutoff of appropriateness? BMW? Acura? Kia? I can’t be the judge of that but one knows it when they see it.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Before I got to your last line, I had your last line in my head. Where is the line we cut this off? I know a pastor with a Mercedes... not an extravagant one but still a Mercedes. Is that ok? Should we expect them to drive older beat up cars, horse back, walk? :) I don't know where the line is, but I do think that a $200,000 sports car that serves no purpose other than to say, "look at me" is over the top and defeats any message he can ever preach against pride!

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A South Carolina pastor has defended buying his wife a $200,000 Lamborghini as an anniversary present

Despite the fact that a few items in the article are absolutely false, I believe this was a bad move. I’m not sure how Pastor Gray didn’t consider the backlash of buying a Lamborghini and having it posted on social media.

Even if no church funds were used, and I’m confident that they weren’t, it’s not a good message when a pastor does something like this.

Everyone has a right to buy what they want with their own wealth, but super luxury cars are an extravagance that basically state, “I have trouble spending enough of my money” - not a good message if one is in a position of church leadership.

So where’s the cutoff of appropriateness? BMW? Acura? Kia? I can’t be the judge of that but one knows it when they see it.

My priest drives a used oldsmobile.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm a publisher. Books can bring in good money sometimes.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chevy.

I would have said Oldsmobile a few years back as most of my wife’s family used to work there. But they are no more ..... :(

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,765.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I asked my Bishop why he owns 2 cars with one having his own private registration.

He firstly said that it wasnt any of my business and secondly he needed the 'smaller' car as it was easier to park and the bigger car better for long journeys!

I told him he should sell one and give the proceeds to the diocese as he had been campaigning for us to give more money!

Upvote 0

ColoRaydo

Feb 9, 2017
Colorado
✟33,572.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm a publisher. Books can bring in good money sometimes.

Agreed. If he wrote a successful book he deserves every penny.

However, a pastor, especially in this day and age, who is going to be under scrutiny anyway should display more wisdom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"First of all, it wasn't a pastor that bought the car. It was a husband that bought the car. Get that in your spirit," Gray said in the 23 minute video. "I'm a husband first. Don't confuse what I do with who I am. What I do is I pastor God's people. Who I am is a husband and a father and I'll do anything to honor them. And I won't ask permission from anybody to do it."

Genuine question. Aren't we supposed to be a Christian and therefore (in his case) a Pastor first. Above everything else?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The early church followed the rabbinical practice of the rabbis supporting themselves. For example, Rabbi Shammai was an architect and Saul/Paul, who had a rabbinical education, was a tent maker. Is it time to return to our roots?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"First of all, it wasn't a pastor that bought the car. It was a husband that bought the car. Get that in your spirit," Gray said in the 23 minute video. "I'm a husband first. Don't confuse what I do with who I am. What I do is I pastor God's people. Who I am is a husband and a father and I'll do anything to honor them. And I won't ask permission from anybody to do it."

Genuine question. Aren't we supposed to be a Christian and therefore (in his case) a Pastor first. Above everything else?

I think the marriage commitment is higher. Not sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,205.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Yikes!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟693,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Christ is the head of man and man the head of woman.. so that's the hierarchy; Christ over all and if over, then in charge so yes, Christian first.

That said, he has a responsibility to his wife and family given him by Christ, but buying her a Lamborghini is outside of such a responsibility. Nothing about marriage that says my husband has to fulfill my every earthly desire - even if he can afford it.

Not only that, but as a Pastor, as a Christian as a whole, we should show ourselves through our actions (as they are the truth of who we are) to be Christian - people who live in the world without being of the world.

That doesn't mean a Pastor or any Christian should drive a beater, but it means to understand and recognize the difference between need and want and to keep worldly trappings to a minimum. A need is a car that won't break down that does all the things you need it to do, a new Toyota or Nissan or Chevrolet etc... a worldly want and desire is a Lamborghini.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christ is the head of man and man the head of woman.. so that's the hierarchy; Christ over all and if over, then in charge so yes, Christian first.

That said, he has a responsibility to his wife and family given him by Christ, but buying her a Lamborghini is outside of such a responsibility. Nothing about marriage that says my husband has to fulfill my every earthly desire - even if he can afford it.

Not only that, but as a Pastor, as a Christian as a whole, we should show ourselves through our actions (as they are the truth of who we are) to be Christian - people who live in the world without being of the world.

That doesn't mean a Pastor or any Christian should drive a beater, but it means to understand and recognize the difference between need and want and to keep worldly trappings to a minimum. A need is a car that won't break down that does all the things you need it to do, a new Toyota or Nissan or Chevrolet etc... a worldly want and desire is a Lamborghini.
I see what you mean.

I think we're all guilty sometimes. I definitely covet things but less nowadays. I was looking at fancy woodworking tools yesterday and it occured to me to ask "am I coveting?"

You and the other replies are right, a lamborghini is a silly thing to buy

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I'm of the firm belief that it isn't any of our business.

There is an epidemic of nose-up-butt syndrome going on in this country.

We sit around critiquing other people's actions, as if it is our business what they do. But I can't find that in the Bible, where is says Christians should engage in such activities.

It is far more important to analyze ourselves, and our own actions, rather than commenting on every action that someone else takes.

I have no idea if someone somewhere else, should have a luxury car.

If the pastor of my specific church, the church I regularly attend, and tithe to, decides to buy a luxury car, then I would at least have cause to consider his actions.

Even then though, I would go to the elders of the church, and ask the elders about the pastors actions. If the elders say that this was acceptable behavior, then I would leave it alone.

Part of the reason elders exist, is as oversight on how the church operates. We are supposed to respect our elders in the Church, and accept their judgement.

If I still had a problem, I would pray about it, and pray the wisdom is given to the elders and the pastor.

Lastly, if I felt strongly that the Church was being mis-managed, I would simply find another church. It is not the job of Christians to shove our noses up other people's butts, and get involved in their actions. Jesus never did that. Nor should we.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

All I can think is, what kind of person wants to own a $200,000 car when there are people who can’t affird a $2,000 car? That person is blind to the suffering of others and to the fact that people will judge her harshly. I work for a non-profit and know that the people who support your organization will look at the kind of car you drive. These leaders are sorely out of touch with reality.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm of the firm belief that it isn't any of our business.

There is an epidemic of nose-up-butt syndrome going on in this country.

We sit around critiquing other people's actions, as if it is our business what they do. But I can't find that in the Bible, where is says Christians should engage in such activities.

It is far more important to analyze ourselves, and our own actions, rather than commenting on every action that someone else takes.

I have no idea if someone somewhere else, should have a luxury car.

If the pastor of my specific church, the church I regularly attend, and tithe to, decides to buy a luxury car, then I would at least have cause to consider his actions.

Even then though, I would go to the elders of the church, and ask the elders about the pastors actions. If the elders say that this was acceptable behavior, then I would leave it alone.

Part of the reason elders exist, is as oversight on how the church operates. We are supposed to respect our elders in the Church, and accept their judgement.

If I still had a problem, I would pray about it, and pray the wisdom is given to the elders and the pastor.

Lastly, if I felt strongly that the Church was being mis-managed, I would simply find another church. It is not the job of Christians to shove our noses up other people's butts, and get involved in their actions. Jesus never did that. Nor should we.
The Bible says we should rebuke. Though I think it also says we shouldn't rebuke our Pastor but I can't find the verse

edit:
1 Timothy 5:1 King James Version
5 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;

I think that's the verse

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0