Assuredcw

Citizen for Civil Public Discourse
Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I enjoy it a lot and I want to keep up. But my VCR is not going to work for me and I will need to be involved somewhere such that I will miss it this time. That is a big disappointment to me, I don't like that I will miss out on anything in it.

You can watch episodes that you miss, online at the NBC site. :)

Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Speaking of which, here is the episode from 12/8 (available until 2/10/12):

Parks and Recreation - Citizen Knope - Video - http://www.nbc.com

The themes are the complete derailing of Leslie's political campaign because of a "sex scandal" - LOL! There is also a theme of Christmas gift-giving that is particularly heart-warming. There is a surprise ending that makes this episode worth seeing, and I am not going to spoil it. :)

Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Folks, my local listings say that tonight is a re-run of the UN episode. Catch it if you missed it (I'll probably watch it again).

They must be on Christmas vacation until the 1st of the year...

Edited: I checked the website and the first new episode of the new year will be 1/12/12.

I hope they will at least show us a rerun on the 5th...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
January 12th finally came, and the first show of the new year was worth waiting for. Leslie's campaign went off to an interesting start, to the strains of "Get on Your Feet" by the Miami Sound Machine, while Leslie and her team tried to stay on their feet on the icy floor of the hockey rink they booked for their first rally! Hint: they didn't - LOL!!!

Inexperience wasn't an advantage, after all, since it resulted in a lot of embarrassing mistakes (reminds us of a few people who have recently campaigned for President).

But what I found particularly revealing (I am not sure that anyone intended this), is that these politically "inexperienced" women (Leslie Knope and Ann Perkins) were still very skilled at getting their way in general (sweet-talking a big name into endorsing Leslie, and convincing the police not to arrest Leslie's team). Which has implications, at least to me, about the well-honed abilities of the "politically inexperienced" people we have seen enter the race. It suggests that they may have always managed to get what they want out of people. That is a very interesting common denominator, and suggests that true politicians aren't always holders of public office, and they are perhaps born and not made.

I will edit this tomorrow and post a link to the episode - I was so excited I had to post tonight - LOL!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The 1/19 episode is about Leslie's reluctance to use a negative campaign strategy against a wealthy candidate who reminds ME of Mitt Romney. I won't pretend to say if this was intended or not. (Although Sharon Angle asked her opponent in the 2010 Senate primaries to drop out, which seemed to be just as spoiled brat-like as when "Bobby Newport" asks Leslie Knope to.)

Also, self-destructive and irresponsible people who don't want to carry health insurance.

Parks and Recreation - Campaign Ad - Video - http://www.nbc.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just wanted to say, this thread has gotten 756 hits so far. Thank you all for visiting, and please feel free to chime in. I will miss something interesting here and there, and the rest of you may see something that I didn't catch, or perhaps forgot to mention.

Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The 1/26/12 (Bowling for Voters) episode was about Leslie going a little too far, by trying to please everyone. It might remind us of other people (John Boehner, President Obama, Mitt Romney, etc) who might not have to try so hard. Because guess what? Some people just aren't going to support you, no matter what you do.

Parks and Recreation - Bowling for Votes - Video - http://www.nbc.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The episode is called Operation Ann, and it centers around Leslie finding a new boyfriend for her friend Ann at the public Valentine's Day Dance (since Chris broke up with her). Of course, we knew that Chris would be too weird to keep his "new" girlfriend, and since Chris is at loose ends that evening, he insists on being the DJ at the dance, at which he plays depressing music with no discernable beat, casting a pall over the entire evening. It also centers on a scavenger hunt that Leslie sends her boyfriend Ben on, featuring a code he has to crack to figure out where to meet her that evening. But the code is so hard that Ben becomes desperate enough to actually enlist Ron's and Andy's assistance! This alone makes this episode worth seeing - LOL! Oh, and we can't forget the "interesting" people Leslie rounded up for Ann for the evening, including someone unexpected (not to mention unsolicited), who winds up taking an interest. Oh no!

I'm not sure what, if anything, would have been the tie-in to politics in this particular episode. Perhaps the code?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The 2/16 episode is called "Dave Returns" and it's about Leslie's ex-boyfriend, Dave, who is back in town to interview for the position of Police Chief (and to attend the retirement party of his buddy, the chief). IMO Dave fits the demographic perfectly for a Southern California Republican, complete with where he has relocated: San Diego, CA. He is also a policeman - LOL! Well, Leslie thinks that since Dave (who broke up with Leslie to move to San Diego) is a "great guy," that she will get Dave's "endorsement" of Ben (as her new boyfriend), and that Dave will help her get the police chief's endorsement for her run for public office. Unfortunately, Dave the "Republican bully" (does this sound familiar?) handcuffs Ben to a urinal in the men's room so that he can talk to Leslie about ditching Ben and getting back together with him. Unfortunately, our "Republican bully" is a dim bulb, because it didn't occur to him that Ben would use his free hand to reach into his pocket, get out his cell, and call Leslie to tell her he is chained to a urinal in the men's room - LOL! And Leslie runs into the MEN'S ROOM (she must be crazy about Ben - LOL!) and demands that Dave release Ben immediately. Now, of course, Ben is "deathly afraid of cops." I wonder why?

But there are other "Republican bullies" who don't seem to have considered what it might look like to others when they tie the President's hands - won't confirm any of his appointments, won't go on recess in order to prevent him from making recess appointments, and then challenging the recess appointments that he did make during the Christmas break ("But we really were still in session, even though we left town to eat Christmas ham"), etc, etc. Just like Leslie looked at her ex-boyfriend in horror, many of these people's constituents might be shocked to see these tactics being employed by the GOP. But some people never stop to think about how it might look. As Leslie asked, so we might well ask, "What were you thinking?!"

Also in the episode, Tom gets on Ann's nerves telling everyone in the office that Ann is spoken for (she's NOT!) and calling her annoying affectionate nicknames after only one date after the Valentine's Dance. This is a to-be-continued saga, because Chris of course is jealous, since he heard along with everyone else that Ann is supposedly in a new relationship already.

Here's the link: http://www.nbc.com/parks-and-recreation/video/dave-returns/1385893

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The 2/23 episode is called "Sweet Sixteen," and it's about a surprise birthday party that Leslie plans for Jerry, a water treatment engineer (he only gets a real birthday once every 4 years because he was born on 2/29 so his 64th birthday is his 16th "real" birthday). It's also about a rule that Leslie has imposed among her staff during the campaign: all campaign business needs to be taken outside - literally outside. When people approach her concerning campaign business (which of course they are working on inside - LOL!), Leslie walks them (she's a "walker" - get it? As in Scott Walker) outside so they can actually discuss it with her. She says this keeps campaign business "separate" from government business. Never mind about the fact that the actual campaign work is being conducted in government offices and during work hours - you get the feeling she wouldn't know anything about that if you were to ask her, just as Scott Walker doesn't!

Anyway, there is also a sly reference to "dog whistles," and lots of other fun stuff that I can't tell you about 'cause it would spoil the surprise. Check it out!

Parks and Recreation - Sweet Sixteen - Video - http://www.nbc.com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The episode is called "Campaign Shake-up," and it's about Leslie's opponent getting a highly-skilled piranha of a campaign manager, who knows how to pile on the misrepresentations (and outright lies) in both campaign ads and cable punditry appearances (think Fox and MSNBC). The cable host, "Purd," is of course an idiot who adds to the confusion. It is also about both Bobby Newport (who is "making out with some floozy in Majorca") and Leslie "getting the gray vote" (his oily campaign manager doing the honors) by shmoozing with crotchety Ned Jones, the president of Pawnee Seniors United. Carl Reiner makes an appearance, and he is hilariously abrupt and bad-tempered as Ned Jones.

Ben suggests that he and Leslie meet with the campaign manager to both "size her up" and "humanize" Leslie, to "make it harder to attack" her. Problem: they gave the dangerous piranha that same opportunity. The effects prove to be disasterous, and Leslie's campaign is now in a lot of trouble. Ben Jones endorses Bobby Newport and not Leslie, of course. This is where the episode leaves us, unfortunately. There is also a very funny sub-plot of what is going on at the office without Leslie - LOL!

Parks and Recreation - Campaign Shake-Up - Video - http://www.nbc.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The 3/8 episode is called "Lucky," and it made me sad!

Leslie had an opportunity to interview on the "Buddy Woods'" show, and inexplicably decided to get drunk with Ann and Tom (!) when the appearance was cancelled. But - wait for it - Ben calls Leslie on her cell (she's drunk and at the bar but lies to Ben about that) to tell her she has to come to the studio right now and do that interview! Oh no!

Buddy Woods can't find the film of the interview (Leslie has a lot of friends at the airport), so she's "Lucky," all right. But I'm depressed now.

Oh, and Ann abruptly breaks up with Tom after the final tasteless, creepy gift breaks the camel's back.

The episode is full of hilarious sight gags and is a must-see.

Parks and Recreation - Lucky - Video - http://www.nbc.com

It also made the Huffington Post:

'Parks & Recreation': Sean Hayes Uses Gotcha Journalism On Drunk Leslie (VIDEO)

Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, the Huffington Post piece gave us a little bit of bad news:

"Parks & Recreation" is going to relax for a while, too, taking a break until April 19, 2012, when it will return with its final batch of episodes for the season.

I guess the rest of us will have to catch up on the past episodes on their website. I would recommend this to anyone who missed them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0