Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Aaron and Christina had never attended school when they were children. Until a few days earlier, when Round Hill Elementary held a back-to-school open house, they had rarely set foot inside a school building. Both had been raised to believe that public schools were tools of a demonic social order, government “indoctrination camps” devoted to the propagation of lies and the subversion of Christian families.

Their decision to send Aimee to the neighborhood elementary school — a test run to see how it might work for their other kids — had contributed to a bitter rift with their own parents, who couldn’t understand their embrace of an education system they had been raised to abhor.

[After first catching on with the countercultural left, homeschooling caught on with conservative Christians.] Rightly educated, those children would grow into what HSLDA founder Michael Farris called a “Joshua Generation” that would seek the political power and cultural influence to reshape America according to biblical principles.

Over decades, they have eroded state regulations, ensuring that parents who home-school face little oversight in much of the country. More recently, they have inflamed the nation’s culture wars, fueling attacks on public-school lessons about race and gender with the politically potent language of “parental rights.”

[But there has been a backlash of sorts from within.]

Former home-schoolers have been at the forefront of those arguing for greater oversight of home schooling, forming the nonprofit Coalition for Responsible Home Education to make their case.

“As an adult I can say, ‘No. What happened to me as a child was wrong,’” said Samantha Field, the coalition’s government relations director.

Earlier this year, Jinger Duggar Vuolo — familiar to millions of TV viewers from the reality show “19 Kids and Counting” — published a memoir in which she harshly criticized Bill Gothard, a pivotal but nowdisgraced figure in conservative Christian home schooling whose teachings her parents followed.

“It’s specifically a system that is set up to hide the abuse, to make them invisible, to strip them of any capability of getting help. And not just in a physical way,” Christina said. “At some point, you become so mentally imprisoned you don’t even realize you need help.”

[But definitely in a physical way.] “The use of the rod is for the purpose of breaking the child’s will,” stated the handout that they bent over together in the church [in a marriage prep class].

“When it came time for me to hit my kids, that was the first independent thought I remember having: ‘This can’t be right. I think I’ll just skip this part,’” he says.

But if that seemingly inviolable dogma was false, what else might be? Aaron gradually began to feel adrift and depressed.

Now it was Christina’s turn to question her belief — not in Christianity, but in the conservative Christian approach to home schooling. She began to research spiritual abuse and the history of Christian nationalism. Ideas she had never questioned — such as the statement, in a book given to her by her dad, that it “would be a waste of her time and her life” for a woman to work outside the house no longer made sense.

Her loss of faith in the biblical literalism and patriarchal values of her childhood was coming in the way the movement’s adherents had always warned it would: through exposure to people with different experiences and points of view.

Those people just happened to be her daughter and her husband.

[The couple has since put their 2 other school age children into the public schools. One more is stil too young.]

“People who think the public schools are indoctrinating don’t know what indoctrination is. We were indoctrinated,” Aaron says. “It’s not even comparable.”

See Also:

Last edited:

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I am a public school teacher so this sounds antithetical but I love the idea of homeschooling.

Hoewever, there are some HUGE caveats.
1) Regulatory Oversight. UNDER NO circumstance should ANY kid in a jurisdiction be exempt from learning the curriculum laid out. If parents refuse, no home schooling. Period.
2) Assessments registered with the province
3) Opportunities for socialization several times a week with groups OUTSIDE of a single homeschooling troupe.

I didn't know what homeschooling is like in the US and I'm sure its different from State to state but reading about where it's at? That is not at ALL acceptable to me.

It's really too bad that these parents lie (or at least misrepresent and catastrophize) to their children about what public school is like. It seems super dishonest.

And that last sentence is disastrous for Christians who choose this:
“People who think the public schools are indoctrinating don’t know what indoctrination is. We were indoctrinated,” Aaron says. “It’s not even comparable.”
Lastly, it often seems to be true that the people furthest away from from public schools, complain the loudest about indoctrination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is the fringe element no matter where you look. One advantage of all kikds in one setting is it helps balance out the good/bad behaviour. There is no truth in isolating public from home as being separation of good and evil. We see the same with Christian groups who put up a wall around themselves and eventually see everything outside as evil. God broke up Babel for a reason.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Her loss of faith in the biblical literalism and patriarchal values of her childhood was coming in the way the movement’s adherents had always warned it would: through exposure to people with different experiences and points of view.

Those people just happened to be her daughter and her husband.
Amateurish. A proper cult wouldn't let her marry outside of the cult in the first place.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
There is the fringe element no matter where you look. One advantage of all kikds in one setting is it helps balance out the good/bad behaviour. There is no truth in isolating public from home as being separation of good and evil. We see the same with Christian groups who put up a wall around themselves and eventually see everything outside as evil. God broke up Babel for a reason.
I thought that God broke up Babel because he was afraid of humans being able to achieve things they weren't meant to achieve.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Amateurish. A proper cult wouldn't let her marry outside of the cult in the first place.
Oh but they both were of like mind in the beginning. She, of course, had been trained to only marry someone approved by dad and cut from the same jib:

Christina had felt no urge to escape when, at the age of 15, she listed her “Requirements for my husband” in neat, looping script on a ruled sheet of notebook paper.

“Must want me to be a full-time homemaker & only have an outside job if required or instructed by my Potter,” she wrote, referring to biblical verses that liken humans to clay in the hands of God. “Must believe in ‘full & unconditional’ surrender of our # of children to God Almighty.” And: “Must desire to homeschool our children.”

She felt both hopeful and nervous when, several years later, her father, Derrick Comfort, came home with news: He had just met with a young man who had been raised with those same ideals — and who wanted Christina to be his wife.

So what happened to Aaron? You guessed it. Books. Libraries may also have been involved.

He scoured Amazon for books about evolution and cosmology. Eventually, he found his way to blog posts and books by former Christian fundamentalists who had abandoned their religious beliefs. He watched an interview with Tara Westover, whose best-selling memoir, “Educated,” detailed the severe educational neglect and physical abuse she endured as a child of survivalist Mormon home-schoolers in Idaho.

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am a public school teacher so this sounds antithetical but I love the idea of homeschooling.

Hoewever, there are some HUGE caveats.
1) Regulatory Oversight. UNDER NO circumstance should ANY kid in a jurisdiction be exempt from learning the curriculum laid out. If parents refuse, no home schooling. Period.
2) Assessments registered with the province
3) Opportunities for socialization several times a week with groups OUTSIDE of a single homeschooling troupe.

I didn't know what homeschooling is like in the US and I'm sure its different from State to state but reading about where it's at? That is not at ALL acceptable to me.

It's really too bad that these parents lie (or at least misrepresent and catastrophize) to their children about what public school is like. It seems super dishonest.

And that last sentence is disastrous for Christians who choose this:

Lastly, it often seems to be true that the people furthest away from from public schools, complain the loudest about indoctrination.
It does vary by state. Some states literally have next to no regulations including no requirement that parents even TELL the district they are homeschooling while others require more regular tests. I have two homeschooling families in my extended family one on either side. Here in GA we I believe fall on the looser end of regulation. Both sets of parents have sent at least one child to public school for a short time ( all of their children are under ten before deciding that they were unhappy with the education their children were receiving and/or how it was delivered. In a growing number of states there is a movement to allow the money to follow the child that means that if a parent pulls their kid out and either goes private or homeschool the public school loses that money. Voters are supporting that for a number of reasons while some feel that money should only go to public schools. Here in GA that proposal was voted down last round on the ballot, but lawmakers are considering it in a bill that so far as far as I know has yet to make it to Kemp's (the governor's desk.) What I do not know is how tight the vote was when it was voted down last time, nor what if any of the 159 counties the proposal won in

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It does vary by state. Some states literally have next to no regulations including no requirement that parents even TELL the district they are homeschooling while others require more regular tests. I have two homeschooling families in my extended family one on either side. Here in GA we I believe fall on the looser end of regulation. Both sets of parents have sent at least one child to public school for a short time ( all of their children are under ten before deciding that they were unhappy with the education their children were receiving and/or how it was delivered. In a growing number of states there is a movement to allow the money to follow the child that means that if a parent pulls their kid out and either goes private or homeschool the public school loses that money. Voters are supporting that for a number of reasons while some feel that money should only go to public schools. Here in GA that proposal was voted down last round on the ballot, but lawmakers are considering it in a bill that so far as far as I know has yet to make it to Kemp's (the governor's desk.) What I do not know is how tight the vote was when it was voted down last time, nor what if any of the 159 counties the proposal won in
Whoa. I could see that as really problematic if that money could go to unregulated "homeschooling". What a terrible way to keep poor people poor.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Whoa. I could see that as really problematic if that money could go to unregulated "homeschooling". What a terrible way to keep poor people poor.
I happen to support it and did vote for it much to my sister's dismay ( she is a public school teacher) because I feel that sense not all children do well in traditional public schools for any number of reasons a parent should not be forced to have their kids in public school simply because they cannot afford to pay for a private school. I will say that charter schools may be a good option to fit in the middle.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Where are the home-schooled in higher education?

In the UK all university applicants have to matriculate; that is get a minimum 'A' Level qualification or equivalent. In practice very few places are available if a candidate only achieves the minimum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

In the UK all university applicants have to matriculate; that is get a minimum 'A' Level qualification or equivalent. In practice very few places are available if a candidate only achieves the minimum.
They have as much right to it as anyone else provided they meet the standards of that particular school.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

I think it varies a great deal from university to university, but many in the US accept homeschoolers. Example. Those that make it in seem to do well on average, but I wonder if there's some selection bias. Kids who have suffered the worst sort of homeschooling won't be admitted, while those who can lay out a great description of the curriculum they and their parents worked on for 4 years really are success stories.

• Informative
Reactions: Whyayeman
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I happen to support it and did vote for it much to my sister's dismay ( she is a public school teacher) because I feel that sense not all children do well in traditional public schools for any number of reasons a parent should not be forced to have their kids in public school simply because they cannot afford to pay for a private school. I will say that charter schools may be a good option to fit in the middle.
It's easier for me as a teacher in Canada because our "antipublic school" sentiment is considerably more muted than down in the states. We don't have quite the level of paranoia around indoctrination that is happenning down south.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I thought that God broke up Babel because he was afraid of humans being able to achieve things they weren't meant to achieve.
No it was more a matter of not giving them reign to unite under one worldly leader, something the adversary has long sought to achieve. Even the cult example shows how people are swayed by an individual.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So the thrust of the article is to categorize home schooling as basically religious cult behavior? That seems rather selective and a distortion of homeschooling which is shared by religious and secular minded people.

This Research Facts on Homeschooling

Secular homeschooling ( for ex.):

Then there is the issues of school violence that is probably a major motivation for homeschooling. Amazingly, there does not seem to be any comprehensive overview of school violence in the US for over 15 years!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
So the thrust of the article is to categorize home schooling as basically religious cult behavior?
No, only some of it. And this is being said by those who experienced the abuse firsthand.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think it varies a great deal from university to university, but many in the US accept homeschoolers. Example. Those that make it in seem to do well on average, but I wonder if there's some selection bias. Kids who have suffered the worst sort of homeschooling won't be admitted, while those who can lay out a great description of the curriculum they and their parents worked on for 4 years really are success stories.
The example you gave was a school that required either SAT or ACT scores. That may well mean homeschooled or others with a questionable transcript can get in if they do well enough on those standardized tests, well enough being higher than they would ahve needed if their transcript was in order. That would lead to an obvious bias where those who did get in would be expected to do better unless one adjusted for SAT/ACT scores.

I'm pretty sure back in the 1970s a high enough SAT score guaranteed admission to the University of California system (but not to a specific campus, particularly Cal or UCLA).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Then there is the issues of school violence that is probably a major motivation for homeschooling. Amazingly, there does not seem to be any comprehensive overview of school violence in the US for over 15 years!!!
Shooting in schools is a problem America has never done anything meaningful about and they're all out of ideas on how to solve it.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Academic Performance​

• The home-educated typically score 15 to 25 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is roughly the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.) A 2015 study found Black homeschool students to be scoring 23 to 42 percentile points above Black public school students (Ray, 2015).
      • 78% of peer-reviewed studies on academic achievement show homeschool students perform statistically significantly better than those in institutional schools (Ray, 2017).
      • Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.
      • Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not notably related to their children’s academic achievement.
      • Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.
      • Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.
      • Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Does the new trend of having schools act as big brother and setting themselves as more qualified to act as parents than parents, have anything to do with the rants against homeschooling? Is not this a case of both sides being a pot calling the kettle black, accusing each other of the overstepping of boundaries?

Upvote 0