✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Academic Performance​

• The home-educated typically score 15 to 25 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is roughly the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.) A 2015 study found Black homeschool students to be scoring 23 to 42 percentile points above Black public school students (Ray, 2015).
      • 78% of peer-reviewed studies on academic achievement show homeschool students perform statistically significantly better than those in institutional schools (Ray, 2017).
      • Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.
      • Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not notably related to their children’s academic achievement.
      • Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.
      • Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.
      • Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.
This should not be surprising at all. Very few homeschooling children (certainly as a rate) ha e thr kind of SPED issues the typical oublic school has.

The idea that 1 to 1 homeschooling will be better for kids is a bit of a no Brainer in most cases. But that doesn't mean I'd take research out of hand without seeing their metrics.

Thr idea that public education is performing more poorly is wrong. The problem is that low performing students don't have as many other options in charter schools because, obviously, there is no profit to be made in teaching those kids.

And so better students leaving drives down the average. To be clear that doesn't make homeschooling parents just as capable as teachers.

Arguably they think that but its just folly.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This should not be surprising at all. Very few homeschooling children (certainly as a rate) ha e thr kind of SPED issues the typical oublic school has.

The idea that 1 to 1 homeschooling will be better for kids is a bit of a no Brainer in most cases. But that doesn't mean I'd take research out of hand without seeing their metrics.

Thr idea that public education is performing more poorly is wrong. The problem is that low performing students don't have as many other options in charter schools because, obviously, there is no profit to be made in teaching those kids.

And so better students leaving drives down the average. To be clear that doesn't make homeschooling parents just as capable as teachers.

Arguably they think that but its just folly.
Also homeschooling strongly suggests a lot of “parental involvement“ in a child’s education; this factor is always a metric in educational outcomes.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I thought that God broke up Babel because he was afraid of humans being able to achieve things they weren't meant to achieve.

I thought it had something to do with words...and piercing the firmament or something.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I wonder....Given teachers' front line exposure to, often times dozens to hundreds of parents a year, would you trust their opinion on the quality of parenting in America?

Would you trust teachers?

That's just California....back in 2017....and if you think things have gotten better, they haven't.

Let's just be honest...I'll gladly concede that homeschooling is dicey at best, negligent at worst. Public schools are nearly an abject failure. If children are graduating well below competence...what is the point?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Public schools are nearly an abject failure. If children are graduating well below competence...what is the point?
That's not true of all public schools. My wife and I don't have kids, but if we did, I'd have no problem whatsoever enrolling them in our school district. Which was recently rated as the 5th best district (out of >150) in the entire state. Public schools are a reflection of parental involvement and expectations, and obviously, the district's affluence. I'm fortunate to live in an upscale area, with many well-educated professional and business persons, and I don't mind paying a bundle in property taxes every year to fund our schools. Even without children, it still benefits me. Because a highly rated school district maintains my property value.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Public schools are a reflection of parental involvement and expectations, and obviously, the district's affluence.
Yes no kid left behind. All receive merit in spite of a lack of equality in intelligence or skills. No wonder standards have fallen and economics are now placed above wisdom.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I find it funny if folks proclaim how useless public education is because kids are graduating unable to read.

As though these teachers haven't been telling these parents for 6+ years that their kid can't read and they should do some reading work at home because teachers are unable to individualize instruction to 25 kids and provide meaningful amounts of individual support.

In an la class of 25 students, the average amount of time a teacher could spend directly supporting each individual student would be less than 2 minutes...not counting any full class presentation of new skills and information.

So when kids can't read the problem is waaaaaay larger than "the teachers suck" oe public education is bad.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That's not true of all public schools. My wife and I don't have kids, but if we did, I'd have no problem whatsoever enrolling them in our school district. Which was recently rated as the 5th best district (out of >150) in the entire state. Public schools are a reflection of parental involvement and expectations, and obviously, the district's affluence. I'm fortunate to live in an upscale area, with many well-educated professional and business persons, and I don't mind paying a bundle in property taxes every year to fund our schools. Even without children, it still benefits me. Because a highly rated school district maintains my property value.
And, as rich green said "I don't want to live in a nation of stupid people"

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying charter schools won't take "low performing"/SPED students because they don't make a profit? That is absolutely false. My son is in SPED and is in a charter school. We've also done public school and homeschooling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As far as reading, it's not a secret that public schools have been using failed techniques to teach reading for many years. Many if not most kids need systematic phonics to learn to read, but most public schools use "balanced literacy" rather than a science of reading approach.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's not true of all public schools. My wife and I don't have kids, but if we did, I'd have no problem whatsoever enrolling them in our school district. Which was recently rated as the 5th best district (out of >150) in the entire state.

Ok. All depends on where you live.

Best public school in Baltimore has a 58% of the class graduating proficient in math.

That's the best.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, obviously the schools being disparaged are towards the 135-150 area…but public schools can‘t pick-and-choose their students. Students’ parents can pick-and-choose, however, in States that have charter schools.
The “crusade“ against public-schooling is a repudiation of (oddly enough) the conservative value of “the collective-good”; pooling of resources for the benefit of all.
And why is this occurring?
[EDIT: This was probably “goading”; mea culpa]

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Are you saying charter schools won't take "low performing"/SPED students because they don't make a profit? That is absolutely false. My son is in SPED and is in a charter school. We've also done public school and homeschooling.
I stand corrected on charter schools. My apologies.

Reactions: Margaret3110
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
As far as reading, it's not a secret that public schools have been using failed techniques to teach reading for many years. Many if not most kids need systematic phonics to learn to read, but most public schools use "balanced literacy" rather than a science of reading approach.
If its any consolation that realization is finally getting through some thick heads (at least up here I. Alberta canada)

Reactions: Margaret3110
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I find it funny if folks proclaim how useless public education is because kids are graduating unable to read.

As though these teachers haven't been telling these parents for 6+ years that their kid can't read and they should do some reading work at home because teachers are unable to individualize instruction to 25 kids and provide meaningful amounts of individual support.

In an la class of 25 students, the average amount of time a teacher could spend directly supporting each individual student would be less than 2 minutes...not counting any full class presentation of new skills and information.

So when kids can't read the problem is waaaaaay larger than "the teachers suck" oe public education is bad.

Feel free to explain the problem then.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If its any consolation that realization is finally getting through some thick heads (at least up here I. Alberta canada)
That is definitely a good thing! I think there are pockets in the US where it's changing too, but in my area they haven't caught on yet.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I thought it had something to do with words...and piercing the firmament or something.

Is no one really going to give me credit for this?

I pulled that from memory and just went back and checked myself. It does mention piercing/breaking through the firmament.

Upvote 0

issa

pray for the peace of Jerusalem
Sep 21, 2004
Ortigas
✟20,936.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
There is the fringe element no matter where you look. One advantage of all kikds in one setting is it helps balance out the good/bad behaviour. There is no truth in isolating public from home as being separation of good and evil. We see the same with Christian groups who put up a wall around themselves and eventually see everything outside as evil. God broke up Babel for a reason.
and the reason is: because they did not want to spread out, they disobeyed and wanted to stay put.

God actually instructed His people to be set apart from the Canaanites and other groups so they will not embrace their cultures of worshipping other gods, and sacrificing babies.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Aaron and Christina had never attended school when they were children. Until a few days earlier, when Round Hill Elementary held a back-to-school open house, they had rarely set foot inside a school building. Both had been raised to believe that public schools were tools of a demonic social order, government “indoctrination camps” devoted to the propagation of lies and the subversion of Christian families.

Their decision to send Aimee to the neighborhood elementary school — a test run to see how it might work for their other kids — had contributed to a bitter rift with their own parents, who couldn’t understand their embrace of an education system they had been raised to abhor.

[After first catching on with the countercultural left, homeschooling caught on with conservative Christians.] Rightly educated, those children would grow into what HSLDA founder Michael Farris called a “Joshua Generation” that would seek the political power and cultural influence to reshape America according to biblical principles.

Over decades, they have eroded state regulations, ensuring that parents who home-school face little oversight in much of the country. More recently, they have inflamed the nation’s culture wars, fueling attacks on public-school lessons about race and gender with the politically potent language of “parental rights.”

[But there has been a backlash of sorts from within.]

Former home-schoolers have been at the forefront of those arguing for greater oversight of home schooling, forming the nonprofit Coalition for Responsible Home Education to make their case.

“As an adult I can say, ‘No. What happened to me as a child was wrong,’” said Samantha Field, the coalition’s government relations director.

Earlier this year, Jinger Duggar Vuolo — familiar to millions of TV viewers from the reality show “19 Kids and Counting” — published a memoir in which she harshly criticized Bill Gothard, a pivotal but nowdisgraced figure in conservative Christian home schooling whose teachings her parents followed.

“It’s specifically a system that is set up to hide the abuse, to make them invisible, to strip them of any capability of getting help. And not just in a physical way,” Christina said. “At some point, you become so mentally imprisoned you don’t even realize you need help.”

[But definitely in a physical way.] “The use of the rod is for the purpose of breaking the child’s will,” stated the handout that they bent over together in the church [in a marriage prep class].

“When it came time for me to hit my kids, that was the first independent thought I remember having: ‘This can’t be right. I think I’ll just skip this part,’” he says.

But if that seemingly inviolable dogma was false, what else might be? Aaron gradually began to feel adrift and depressed.

Now it was Christina’s turn to question her belief — not in Christianity, but in the conservative Christian approach to home schooling. She began to research spiritual abuse and the history of Christian nationalism. Ideas she had never questioned — such as the statement, in a book given to her by her dad, that it “would be a waste of her time and her life” for a woman to work outside the house no longer made sense.

Her loss of faith in the biblical literalism and patriarchal values of her childhood was coming in the way the movement’s adherents had always warned it would: through exposure to people with different experiences and points of view.

Those people just happened to be her daughter and her husband.

[The couple has since put their 2 other school age children into the public schools. One more is stil too young.]

“People who think the public schools are indoctrinating don’t know what indoctrination is. We were indoctrinated,” Aaron says. “It’s not even comparable.”

See Also:
The Aaron and Christina story is from fringe extremists, not the ordinary home-schooler, most of whom are focused on education. Some home-schooled do send their kids to public school instead. Some school their own kids. There's no big movement to send your kids back to public school.

In fact, home-schooling has exploded since 2020.
"This research has included more than 100 interviews and two groundbreaking data projects: the collection and analysis of six years of enrollment and home-schooling registration figures in nearly 7,000 school districts, and a national poll of home-school parents.

The results paint a picture of home schooling as the fastest growing part of the U.S. education system, embraced by families more diverse than ever before, who are engaged in new and different ways of home education from the home-schoolers who preceded them."

Most parental (and now grandparent generation) were indeed public-schooled themselves, which is why they home-schooled in the first place.

Reactions: issa
Upvote 0