• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's only a few more days until I start seeing a new therapist, so until then, please just bear with me. I appreciate the help and support from this community so much.
So, I get panic attacks. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. I'll get a thought, and it seems horrible and inescapable, and my mind just latches onto it. I'll start breathing fast--by choice at first, but then that sort of feeds into itself and makes it worse. The overall experience is ad though the world is ending.

However, that "breathing fast by choice" part is important. I've gotten pretty emotionally upset about things in front of my boyfriend before, and I have been so emotional that I almost threw up. But there's bits to my panic attacks that are "hammed up," so to speak. By that I mean that I choose to breathe fast, or get myself worked up physically by the emotional problem at hand, and then it's a self fulfilling cycle.
(Coincidentally, this realization hit me earlier this evening, and I stood there in the kitchen feeling like the world was ending--panic attack--because the thought was basically "I'm a liar.")
I need to get better control over my emotions, because yes, I DO experience pretty strong anxiety. A couple bad panic attacks have happened when I'm all by myself. But the thought that's in my head now is: I need to tell my boyfriend that my panic attacks aren't 100% real all the time...but yes there is a REASON why I'm upset and I'm not just pretending to be upset when I'm not... it's just that some of the emotional upheaval is exaggerated sometimes (and then becomes real)...
That's hard to explain. So I'm not sure if it would be productive or not.
But then I feel like I need to come clean because I think it's a big deal.

Last edited:

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's only a few more days until I start seeing a new therapist, so until then, please just bear with me. I appreciate the help and support from this community so much.
So, I get panic attacks. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. I'll get a thought, and it seems horrible and inescapable, and my mind just latches onto it. I'll start breathing fast--by choice at first, but then that sort of feeds into itself and makes it worse. The overall experience is ad though the world is ending.

However, that "breathing fast by choice" part is important. I've gotten pretty emotionally upset about things in front of my boyfriend before, and I have been so emotional that I almost threw up. But there's bits to my panic attacks that are "hammed up," so to speak. By that I mean that I choose to breathe fast, or get myself worked up physically by the emotional problem at hand, and then it's a self fulfilling cycle.
(Coincidentally, this realization hit me earlier this evening, and I stood there in the kitchen feeling like the world was ending--panic attack--because the thought was basically "I'm a liar.")
I need to get better control over my emotions, because yes, I DO experience pretty strong anxiety. A couple bad panic attacks have happened when I'm all by myself. But the thought that's in my head now is: I need to tell my boyfriend that my panic attacks aren't 100% real all the time...but yes there is a REASON why I'm upset and I'm not just pretending to be upset when I'm not... it's just that some of the emotional upheaval is exaggerated sometimes (and then becomes real)...
That's hard to explain. So I'm not sure if it would be productive or not.
But then I feel like I need to come clean because I think it's a big deal.
If you choose not to breathe fast, do you think that could that help ward off your panic attack?

Upvote 0