United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You said you waneto know

(I want to know God better and love Him more)
What you said there is all God wants from us. The rest will follow as he leads us in his direction. The debates and differences in beliefs on here is very disheartening. I myself have struggled because of it. Im trying to focus on spending time talking to him and reading his word and less of mans opinions on what God is sayIng because if he wants us to know he'll let us know in our spirit. Keep your eye's on Jesus and don't let him miss out on relationship with you, it breaks his heart when we complicate the most simple and precious message which is to love him with all our heart's.
Thanks for this! I know theological discussions have their place, but it’s so disheartening to see so many of them end up with the implication of “you don’t really have the Spirit in you.” I always get caught up in the anxious trap of doubting myself and my faith when I hear stuff like that.

But, yeah. I always try to return to the Cross. Remember I’m loved. Then the semantics don’t matter so much. Just learning more, learning to rest, and being ok with being a work in progress.

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for this! I know theological discussions have their place, but it’s so disheartening to see so many of them end up with the implication of “you don’t really have the Spirit in you.” I always get caught up in the anxious trap of doubting myself and my faith when I hear stuff like that.

But, yeah. I always try to return to the Cross. Remember I’m loved. Then the semantics don’t matter so much. Just learning more, learning to rest, and being ok with being a work in progress.

For me personally when I have doubt or dismay, I go back through my life and remember who was there for me in my darkest days and its always Jesus no matter what ive ever done or didn't do he always had my hand and he has yours.
It also helps to be aware constantly that there is an agenda to separate us from God. I find that when i see those moments of frustration for what they truly are, a way for the enemy to hurt Jesus using us his beloved children to do it, I draw closer to him.

Reactions: gentlejah
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
but it’s so disheartening to see so many of them end up with the implication of “you don’t really have the Spirit in you.”
The bullying/our way or the highway mentality is often self justified by seeing oneself as an enforcer for good. Problem is they have missed the 'humble' aspect of the Kingdom. The Kingdom gives, not takes. Man's ways promote self and builds choirs it can preach to, while mocking or belittling others. Should Christianity mirror politics ? Tribal mentality from our animal nature. Their roots are showing and in need of a touch-up.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know. I’m just really tired and really scared I’ve got God wrong. I’ve been trying to read my Bible more effectively, but I’m not an expert theologian or anything. What can I do besides pray about it? And has anyone else here felt like this?

I used to be in your shoes about all of that. In fact, I took what everyone said as "truth". I was very naive. Then after fully accepting Jesus Christ as My Lord and Saviour and repenting of just going by what everyone said about Him; and allowed Him to teach me His Ways and Truth, He opened my eyes!

I had to allow God to teach me and I had to rely solely on Him, and even today I still have to. Nobody has this walk down-pat. We do stumble and fall, but we get right back up again following after Christ's footsteps.
You grow in faith and trust with God when you read His Word, pray and practice what you learn from Him everyday. Be patient, this growth and walk is not easy but God does truly give us rest, peace and joy through it all. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The first step in seeing what is in front of us, is to unlearn everything the world has taught us since we were born. The world wants to promote it's ways and not those of a Kingdom opposed to our default way of life. Even the religion broadsided Jesus and sold out and rejoined the world of man.

Reactions: Adamina
Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you ever get overwhelmed and terrified by all the different theology that’s out there? Even being on these forums, there’s so much disagreement that I’m constantly scared I’ll take the wrong advice. What if I drive myself crazy through legalism and trying to earn/prove my salvation? What if I don’t try hard enough because I’m relying too much on grace (easy-believeism, lukewarm living, etc.)? To make matters worse, people will say that if you are struggling to understand things or disagree with a certain theology, you don’t have the Holy Spirit in you and you’re condemned. It’s part of the reason I’m non-denom; I don’t think anyone has a monopoly on correct theology. But it still gets to me. I want to know God better and love Him more, but theology seems to get in the way so frequently.

I don’t know. I’m just really tired and really scared I’ve got God wrong. I’ve been trying to read my Bible more effectively, but I’m not an expert theologian or anything. What can I do besides pray about it? And has anyone else here felt like this?

Once I was debating a Muslim on this forum, and he said if all the Quran was burned there will still be Muslims who can recite the whole Quran. I told him if all Bible are burned I can tell him the Bible in one sentence, "Love God with all your heart soul might and love your neighbor as yourself".

Of course now I realized more, i.e. We can't save ourselves and God send his son died for us so whoever believes in him will get eternal life.

If you understand the above, all else is fine, as we can't fully understand God, and all of us only knows his message (so our direction is correct) and have different understandings as God designed it. My pastor said he and his professor has different opinions, but his professor still let him graduate, love and not judge :)

Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I do. I get overwhelmed all the time with all the different theologies. But the weird thing is that I still continue to listen to them.

If you study the Bible well and search out all the hidden removed books of the Bible and study that as well you will be able to discern better.

Apocrypha?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you ever get overwhelmed and terrified by all the different theology that’s out there? Even being on these forums, there’s so much disagreement that I’m constantly scared I’ll take the wrong advice. What if I drive myself crazy through legalism and trying to earn/prove my salvation? What if I don’t try hard enough because I’m relying too much on grace (easy-believeism, lukewarm living, etc.)? To make matters worse, people will say that if you are struggling to understand things or disagree with a certain theology, you don’t have the Holy Spirit in you and you’re condemned. It’s part of the reason I’m non-denom; I don’t think anyone has a monopoly on correct theology. But it still gets to me. I want to know God better and love Him more, but theology seems to get in the way so frequently.

Yes, I have. Often.

So much so that I have had to take breaks from CF and not imbibe *any* theological ideas, and just go on reset. A few times.

It's daunting. And I definitely hear you. Follow Christ. That is my advice. Don't make it overly intellectual or wade into too many ideas. There's a lot out there. Much of it not helpful.

If you want to PM, do. I hear you.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hi Duke, you are right to feel cautious but you do not need to feel overwlemed. What your seeing today is a fulfillment of the prophecies that say in the last days before JESUS returns there will be many false teachers that will deceive if possible Gods very elect *MATTHEW 24:24; 2 PETER 2:1-5; 2 TIMOTHY 4:1-4.

Today we see from one of the last Christian surveys that there is over 40,000 different Christian denominations all professing to be Gods chosen. They can't all be right can they? So I believe God is guiding you to be careful as many will be swept away by false teachings before the 2nd coming.

Why do I say you do not need to be overwelmed? Well very simply do not make the same mistake as many others do. Turn away from trying to find God's truth through the teachings and traditions of men. God's promise to all those who seek him through prayer and his Word is that you shall seek me and find me when you shall search for me with all of your heart *JEREMIAH 29:11-13.

God's promises that those who want to know His truth will know it. Claim and believe his promises and seek him through prayer and his Word and believe his promises...

JOHN 7:17 [17], If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

JOHN 14:26 [26], But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you.

JOHN 16:13 [13], However, when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

JOHN 8:31-32 [31], Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed; [32], And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

HEBREWS 8:11 [11], And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

1 JOHN 2:27 [27], But the anointing which you have received of him stays in you, and you need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it has taught you, you shall abide in him.

You have all good reason to be careful. You have all God's promises to guide you and lead you. If you put your trust in him, he will never leave you or forsake you and promises to teach you all things if you ask him and seek him through his Word and continue doing so.

God bless.

Last edited:
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Duke of Stratford

One day at a time.
Jun 2, 2019
America
✟33,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is the Book of Enoch a part of the Apocrypha? I have read the book of Enoch, Acts of Peter and some other books. They are very enlightening.
I believe it is. I think there are only a couple denominations that consider it canon.

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Want to know him better, go only to the source until all things become this to you.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe it is. I think there are only a couple denominations that consider it canon.
Yep, the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church has considered it Scripture. The Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church does the same. Good catch.

Reactions: Adamina
Upvote 0

Adamina

Praise Jesus
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2020
U S A
✟16,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
........... It’s part of the reason I’m non-denom; I don’t think anyone has a monopoly on correct theology. ut it still gets to me. I want to know God better and love Him more, but theology seems to get in the way so frequently.
Have you read the thru the whole Bible? if not, I recommend reading thru the NT first.
[Luke and John are my favorite Gospels]. Then read the OT. Then you will have a good knowledge of GOD. Then walk the walk of Jesus. Hope this helps.

1Co 1:21
For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

Tit 1:16
They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I like theology. I've spent lots of time reading theology and Biblical studies, since I was in high school. But I don't think you need to know it to be a Christian. I believe Jesus was pretty clear about what it means to follow him. Sure, there are some beliefs that are inherent in that: There is one God; Jesus is his son. But mostly it's about God's love for us, how we're supposed to treat others, and our responsibility to spread the Kingdom.

People who tell you you have to believe in their theology to be saved are, I'm convinced, not properly representing Jesus' intention. There's currently a long thread based on the claim that if you don't believe in a conventional hell, with people being tormented forever, you'll go to hell. Jesus talked a lot about people being judged by God, but never for their beliefs about hell.

I strongly recommend that you keep away from churches that teach that you have to accept their theology or their ethics to be saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I strongly recommend that you keep away from churches that teach that you have to accept their theology or their ethics to be saved.
I agree. Those are traditional ways of man. Ask any political party if you are allowed to colour outside their lines. They are the governance of man while the Kingdom in contrast is the governance of God.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well lets take this right form the start we have "terrified" later "really scared". Hmm both are not of God. Yes it really matters for God will not talk to us like this. What are the fruits of the Spirit? Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

This IS Him. Have you not ever wondered at times why you got such a peace about that place you went..or how the second you walked into to some place.. felt very unease and the like? Yeah.. its HIM! Anyway got side tracked sorry.

YES I have had the same thoughts as you. How many ways are out there? Yeah.. only one. That ONE way is YESHUS/JESUS Christ! How many "truths" are there in the world? Yep YESHUA/JESUS is the only truth. Yeah you know whats next :) He is the only life. No life in anything out side of God/Christ/Holy Spirit.

So.. I make sure what I read hear is written..back up by the word. I don't listen to those that know they are right and anyone that does not agree with them are wrong. I look for "Jesus came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sins. Was buried, rose the 3rd day and is the only way to the Father"

Make it simple. Your Peter on the water... you see hear all this different theology and legalism, grace, works, on and on.... DON'T take your eyes of the one that loves you most. For He is focused just on you. Don't look away. And KNOW that you know that you know He will ALWAYS reach down and get you.. you will never fall to far. Jesus.. is more real then anyone we read about in all of mans history. Its .. getting rid of self.. its being in prayer 24/7.. its walking by faith. Its asking Him everything.. putting your trust in Him..

The song playing now.. Jeremy Camp.. HE KNOWS! Remember.. He leaves the 99 for the one. In case we think in all this noise we will get lost. Hes there

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
scared I’ve got God wrong
If you are scared you have God wrong then consider this command from Jesus Christ of Nazareth Himself and begin to trust in Him fully and no one else. This is all the theology you need to know. Received His Holy Spirit so you are set free from deception and confusion.
Be blessed and stay healthy.
“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is more to do with beholding the LORD, as we spend quality time with God we will be more Spiritually aware, we will "instinctively know", certain truths (as revealed in His word the bible).

1Jn 2:27 As for you, the Spirit which he gave you is still in you, and you have no need of any teacher; but as his Spirit gives you teaching about all things, and is true and not false, so keep your hearts in him, through the teaching which he has given you.

Not all doctrines are true, for they can not be in unison. Many doctrines of men make God out to be harsh, and unforgiving, and it clouds God's true personality. Then you get the flip side men wanting to sin, and excusing it, again not God. There is a middle ground. The bible says the one who respects the LORD will avoid the extremes. If we work on our heart, or should I say, allow God to do so, we will have success. Again this comes with time in the Word, and with God.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Duke of Stratford said: Do you ever get overwhelmed and terrified by all the different theology that’s out there? Even being on these forums, there’s so much disagreement that I’m constantly scared I’ll take the wrong advice. What if I drive myself crazy through legalism and trying to earn/prove my salvation? What if I don’t try hard enough because I’m relying too much on grace (easy-believeism, lukewarm living, etc.)? To make matters worse, people will say that if you are struggling to understand things or disagree with a certain theology, you don’t have the Holy Spirit in you and you’re condemned. It’s part of the reason I’m non-denom; I don’t think anyone has a monopoly on correct theology. But it still gets to me. I want to know God better and love Him more, but theology seems to get in the way so frequently.

No one needs to be overwelmed. There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says God's 4th commandment has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day. I believe this is a man made teaching and traditions that JESUS warns us about handed down from the Roman Catholic Church *MATTHEW 15:2-9 that has led many to break God's 4th commandment.

Some try to argue these scriptures in support of Sunday but there is not one scriptures that says God's 4th commandment has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day. This is a man made teaching and tradition that has lead many away from God's Word to break his law though many do so unknowingly.

For example...

Some try to use Romans 14:4-6 to teach there is no more 4th commandment. Yet if you read all of Romans 14 you will see that Romans 14:4-6 is not talking about God's 4th commandment seventh day Sabbath of the 10 commandments. It is talking about days that men esteem over other days in relation to eating and not eating (fasting) and judging others in this regard. If you read the chapter context you will see this is true.

Some others will try to use Colossians 2:16-17 to claim that God's 4th is no more yet there are many different kinds of sabbaths that were not God's 4th commandment in the old testament scriptures. What sabbaths (plural) is being discussed here? Is it....

1. The Sabbaths of the Feast of unleavened bread (first and last day) that can fall on any day of the week *LEVITICUS 23:6-8

2. The Sabbath on the annual day of Atonement that can fall on any day of the week *LEVITICUS 23:27-32

3. The Sabbath on the annual Feast of Trumpets that can fall on any day of the week *LEVITICUS 23:24-25?

4. The Sabbath on the Feast of Booths that can fall on any day of the week *LEVITICUS 23:34-36

5. Feast of first fruits (first and last day) that can fall on any day of the week *LEVITICUS 23:39

6. The sabbaths (sabbaton plural) of holy convocations from the annual feast days *LEVITICUS 23:7-8; 21;24; 27; 35-36 that can fall on any days of the week

7. The Sabbath of the land (7 year single cycle) *LEVITICUS 25:2

8. The Sabbath of Jubilee - culminating of the 7x7 yearly cycles sabbaths *LEVITICUS 25:9-54

9. Or God's 4th commandment seventh day weekly Sabbath which is one of the 10 commandments that define sin when broken? *EXODUS 20:8-11 from GENESIS 2:1-3

The scripture and chapter context of Colossians 2 shows that COLOSSIANS 2:16 is in reference to the annual ceremonial sabbaths in the feast days. (scripture response here linked). This will be updated in a new easier to follow scripture thread soon) not God's 4th commandment weekly Sabbath of the 10 commandments.

As to love? The scriptures show that love is not separate from God's law (10 Commandments) it establishes and fulfills them in those who through faith believe and follow God's Word.

ROMANS 3:31 [31], DO WE THEN MAKE VOID THE LAW THROUGH FAITH? GOD FORBID: YES, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW.

ROMANS 8:1-4 [1], There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. [2], For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. [3], For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: [4], THAT THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE LAW MIGHT BE FULFILLED IN US, WHO WALK NOT AFTER THE FLESH, BUT AFTER THE SPIRIT.

This is why JESUS says "ON THESE TWO GREAT COMMANDMENTS OF LOVE to God and man HANG ALL THE LAW and the prophets *MATTHEW 22:36-40. PAUL and JAMES also agree with JESUS in ROMANS 13:8-10 and JAMES 2:8-12

Many will try and turn your attention to ACTS 15 which has nothing to do with God's 10 commandmetns but the shodow laws of "CIRCIMCISION" as a requirement for salvation from the Mosaic book of the law which is not one of God's 10 commandments.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0