Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you ever get overwhelmed and terrified by all the different theology that’s out there? Even being on these forums, there’s so much disagreement that I’m constantly scared I’ll take the wrong advice. What if I drive myself crazy through legalism and trying to earn/prove my salvation? What if I don’t try hard enough because I’m relying too much on grace (easy-believeism, lukewarm living, etc.)? To make matters worse, people will say that if you are struggling to understand things or disagree with a certain theology, you don’t have the Holy Spirit in you and you’re condemned. It’s part of the reason I’m non-denom; I don’t think anyone has a monopoly on correct theology. But it still gets to me. I want to know God better and love Him more, but theology seems to get in the way so frequently.

I don’t know. I’m just really tired and really scared I’ve got God wrong. I’ve been trying to read my Bible more effectively, but I’m not an expert theologian or anything. What can I do besides pray about it? And has anyone else here felt like this?

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Do you ever get overwhelmed and terrified by all the different theology that’s out there? Even being on these forums, there’s so much disagreement that I’m constantly scared I’ll take the wrong advice. What if I drive myself crazy through legalism and trying to earn/prove my salvation? What if I don’t try hard enough because I’m relying too much on grace (easy-believeism, lukewarm living, etc.)? To make matters worse, people will say that if you are struggling to understand things or disagree with a certain theology, you don’t have the Holy Spirit in you and you’re condemned. It’s part of the reason I’m non-denom; I don’t think anyone has a monopoly on correct theology. But it still gets to me. I want to know God better and love Him more, but theology seems to get in the way so frequently.

I don’t know. I’m just really tired and really scared I’ve got God wrong. I’ve been trying to read my Bible more effectively, but I’m not an expert theologian or anything. What can I do besides pray about it? And has anyone else here felt like this?

If you believe in basic things like you can find in apostolic or nicean creed, if you have sincere inner faith in Jesus Christ and in His death and resurrection and if you try to be better and better person according to Him, there is nothing you should be scared of.

God does not have OCD and will not beat you because of some details. He knows how many theologies and views are there.

Keep the core faith and reserve a right to change your opinion in the rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

John chapters 1, 2 & 3; Romans 8 and Ephesians 2 are wonderful passages; if you read them prayerfully and carefully without commentaries, they can speak so clearly by themselves, as the Spirit gives understanding.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Theology simplified and Gospel Centered:

Ephesians 2: NASB

1And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, 2in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.3Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. 4But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Theology is religious philosophy. Jesus didn't come to create a religion but to teach a way of life based on the Kingdom , not on the world of man.

It isn't necessary to dissect God to see what makes Him tick. We are to simply change ourselves to do His will rather than use Him to justify what we do. Jesus taught us to put the will of the Father first, which is to love all as self. That is the way of the Kingdom and Jesus' Gospel was of the Kingdom.

Stick to that for a starter. Once you become 'of the Kingdom' in thinking and deed, it will be easy to study Jesus' words instead of man's and see how the kingdom was all He stood for, not man's doctrines or religion. He is supposed to be the teacher isn't He.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Check what people say against scripture. We all struggle sometimes. I am no expert theologian but I know what I believe. The arguments don't scare me but they do frustrate me and have to take a break. I have been a Christian for nearly 30 years though, if you are new to faith I would make sure you know the basics and ask anyone giving you advice for a Bible verse on what they are suggesting. If they can't give you one that is one quick way to know what they are suggesting is not Biblical doctrine. If they have given one verse go read the verses either side to be sure of what it is about or see if there is any other scripture on the topic- because scripture interprets scripture. Pray about what you have been told.
If you still don't know after that I would put it aside and don't get caught up to the point of being scared, just stop reading and pray for peace.

Philippians 4
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Please understand that religion killed our Lord Jesus Christ just as much as the world did. The spirit of religion is very strong down here and causes much confusion.

To read Scripture as a personal address from God and let His Spirit build the truth into you is the way to go. Loving Jesus brings freedom from religious demand and serves God and neighbour out of a thankful heart. That proves you are genuine. Lets face all our human perceptions of things will perish when we enter Heavenly Bliss. Lets build towards that, entering His rest through faith in His loving truth and leaving worldly comprehension behind as our minds are renewed into His image again.

True love wars against religion but doesn't agree with it. i think Paul warned us more against legalism than against any other dangers out there. Religion and legalism walk hand in hand.

True religion is to be unstained by the world and looking after the less fortunate around us.

something to think about don't you think?

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you ever get overwhelmed and terrified by all the different theology that’s out there? Even being on these forums, there’s so much disagreement that I’m constantly scared I’ll take the wrong advice.

I do. I get overwhelmed all the time with all the different theologies. But the weird thing is that I still continue to listen to them.

What can I do besides pray about it?

If you study the Bible well and search out all the hidden removed books of the Bible and study that as well you will be able to discern better.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Possibly the most important things in God's word are clearly put in simple words, maybe that you can find in any Bible translation.

And if this is true, then the wrong kingdom will work to get you and your attention tied up and confused with complicated stuff, or with what is wrong but not complicated and confusing.

I think you could get God's real message by listening to a Sunday school teacher talking to third grade children, or younger. This, of course, would depend on who the teacher is, of course. I mean a person who is a mature example of Christian living, including doing well in marriage and bringing up their own children. Such a person can help you, not only with right ideas and explanations, but with demonstration of how God has us loving and living.

So, I am guessing you need to get to know some people like this, or else you might not be so confused. Now, I do not claim to be such a person, but in case I may help I'll offer you a little something >

There are Bible basics which people can miss because they are so busy with the ideas and explanations.

For one example >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

Without reading any commentary about this, and without talking with anyone, but by praying . . . what can you get out of this, that possibly a third grader could understand?

This tells us to obey how God in us has us live in His peace. Our Father loves us; so He wants to take care of us and guide us in His very own peace. This is how much God does love each of us. He wants to do this in our "hearts"; so this is in us, not with God being only out there somewhere, but God in us wants to share. So, God wants to be personal . . . with every one of us who are His children.

I would say this is a basic which will take care of us very well. If we do what God has us doing in His peace, all the time, He will guide our attention, what we study, who we talk to, who and what we heed, and how we relate in His love with each person. And the rest of His word will feed us and help us with this.

How much time and money do you have to spend and how much seminary study does it take to understand this explanation?

Our Father wants to rule each of us in His own peace. This is a basic of our Christian calling > "in one body", Paul says, here; so this is for every one of us in God's family. And the rest of God's word gives more details about what is included in obeying God in His own peace which He is sharing with us. And if this really is God's own peace, this is the peace which God Himself is experiencing . . . and sharing this with us, right? So, we have very personal communication with God, deeper than words, in this peace . . . I would say. I see that in God's peace we can feel what He is feeling . . . deeper than words, and we have His light to see people and things right, the way His love and peace have us seeing > this is communication which words and explanation can not tell.

This seems to me to be good theo-logic. I mean, if the peace is God's, it can't be some lesser thing, some inferior blessing. God loves us with His very own good, because we are His own children.

I am getting this, right while I am writing . . . free of charge, with small and uncomplicated vocabulary.

For a third grader, I might ask, if this says we should have "the peace of God" ruling us, whose peace does God want us to have? God's peace, I think a third grader would answer. So, would this be a nice feeling that we can have because of what we do with ourselves? Or, is God's peace more than how we and other people can make us feel good? How long does feeling good last, when we make it happen, ourselves? What happens after a while when we try to do it, ourselves, trying to get selfish things? We need to trust God to have us obey Him in His peace, then, right? And then we don't complain and argue when we can't get what we want, because God's peace is perfectly satisfying us and making us strong and wise so we don't fight and argue.

And is God almighty? So, His peace is almighty, right? So, is this peace strong enough to keep us from being afraid, no matter what? Is God's peace strong enough to keep us humble and kind so we don't argue? Yes, I think a third grader could understand. And does the Bible say that this peace of God will take care of our hearts and minds, so no cruel and bad feelings can hurt us?

"the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (in Philippians 4:6-7)

A third grader might not know what "surpasses" means, but a child might be able to get that God's peace almighty can easily guard our minds and our hearts against fear and hate and hurts and confusion and worry and hurry and boredom and loneliness and fighting and arguing and complaining.

But psychologists might not tell you about this, if they are depending on what is not almighty.

And there are people who are confused and fighting about their ideas, because they have not started with the basic of obeying how our Father takes care of us and personally rules us in His own peace which guards us against cruel and confusing stuff in us.

So, you can see this is not something to understand and discuss, but to do in sharing with God. So, God bless us to :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Do not despair, it is commonly accepted among academics that the some of the best theologians are some of the worst Christians. Theology is so vast that you can spend your entire life studying it and still you will have the knowledge equal to a cup of water in relationship to all the water on earth. I have always felt that when Jesus looks at some of the things that we believe He will just laugh and proceed to explain to us what it was that He was trying to make us understand. The most important thing is having a relationship with God and doing our best to do His will. Leave all the rest of it up to the scholars to argue out. Read your Bible make use of a good commentary when you do not understand what you are reading and do your best to love God and your neighbor as yourself.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That's the most effective route:

Knowing God Through Answered Prayer - Steps 1, 2, 3

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do not need to be afraid. The best theology lesson is in the first 2 words of the Lord's Prayer: "Our Father..."

As long as you see HIM as a loving father, Abba - which is perhaps best rendered in the current vernacular as "daddy," - then the rest is just details.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is what I did.

First I gave up my desire to know (the first temptation) and desired only what He needed me to understand.

Then I sent all my questions upstairs and left it up to Him to reveal what I needed to know.

Then I read scripture prayerfully and exclusively for 5 years with no Christian input.

This gave me a yardstick to measure matters of truth.

The outcome was understanding in my area of calling rather than a selfish desire to know everything about everything and chasing every seminar that moved.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I had a unbelieving friend who was dieing of cancer that needed the gospel fast. I shared with him what makes it all so much easier for me.
Concentrate on these three things.

Grace Alone
Faith Alone
Christ Alone

All else should fall into place.

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To make matters worse, people will say that if you are struggling to understand things or disagree with a certain theology, you don’t have the Holy Spirit in you and you’re condemned.
Start by distancing yourself from anything that even comes close to that point of view.

It is sinking sand, theological quicksand that is impossible to depend on. One person will say X is because of some lack in your character or whatever, and the next self-appointed theologian will countermand that opinion and give you another one to worry about.

Trust the Bible, and the wisdom of the greater church of Jesus Christ.

It’s part of the reason I’m non-denom; I don’t think anyone has a monopoly on correct theology.
Which, in my opinion, is exactly the wrong thing to do.

I don't want to offend any of my non-denominational friends who are admirable people and true believers, but independent congregations have a definite weakness. Most are, by definition, unsupervised, with no higher authority capable of keeping things in order and correct, none of the fellowship and shared wisdom of the greater body of members that any denomination has, plus they usually have only the minimum of doctrinal standards because they want to be broadly welcoming of all people who have cooled on denominationalism for any reason.

Find the denomination that you are convinced from your investigation is the most correct, most stable, and most in line with Scripture, and let it nurse you in the faith. This will take a little doing, but it is much the better way to go.

Yes, we have, so don't feel alone when you are thinking on these things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

All the study of scripture, theology and spirituality has shown me how little anyone knows. Big brains, scholars, Ph.Ds who have devoted their lives to this study have fundamental disagreements. It does help to know the gamut of possibilities out there and the know the advantages and limitations of them. And it helps to know the fundamentals of modern scripture scholarship. But really nothing is more important than our hearts and our personal relationships with God. And that relationship is not subject to the judgement of anyone else.

But here is the the problem. Not many of us really cultivate that relationship. We are too stuck in our heads with our allegiances to particular interpretations of the Bible or theologies. Very few of us are willing to empty ourselves of these allegiances and let God instruct us.

Of course we all have to build a world view ,a framework of belief to make sense of the universe. But we have to be humble enough to allow it to be wrong and adapt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don’t let the theological eggheads fool you...
1 Corinthians 13:12 KJVS
[12] For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
Not only our righteousness falls short of God’s glory but so does our knowledge, wisdom, love etc.
We are fully dependent upon God’s grace,...trust in Him regardless.

Upvote 0

Duke of Stratford

One day at a time.
Jun 2, 2019
America
✟33,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, everyone! There are a lot of wonderful responses here, and I don’t think I’m able to reply to all of them, but thank you all for the advice. Anxiety makes faith and theology a lot harder, so it’s lovely to hear so many encouraging voices. Helps me worry less about having everything perfectly right and focus more on growing each day.

Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

(I want to know God better and love Him more)
What you said there is all God wants from us. The rest will follow as he leads us in his direction. The debates and differences in beliefs on here is very disheartening. I myself have struggled because of it. Im trying to focus on spending time talking to him and reading his word and less of mans opinions on what God is sayIng because if he wants us to know he'll let us know in our spirit. Keep your eye's on Jesus and don't let him miss out on relationship with you, it breaks his heart when we complicate the most simple and precious message which is to love him with all our heart's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0