Other than your own, what liturgical tradition is your favorite?

Till Schilling

Feb 3, 2021
Bern, Switzerland
✟17,430.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
but most Christians do not declare that any marriages outside their own particular denomination are somehow less-than those inside their own denomination.
Roman-Catholics do. That is a significant number.

This is a similar topic to not being allowed to commune in another demonination's churches. About which you wrote you prefer not to attend such services. Which is of course your right. But so it is their right to restrict access to communion to their own members and to consider marriages concluded in other denominations not sacramental or just generally to consider members of other denominations heterodox, schismatic or defect Christians.

Within wider christendom the differences in belief and practice and ethics and politics etc are so huge that from my point of view it does not really make sense to speak of christians without mentioning denomination and to expect to be regarded and treated as a fellow believer by other believers from denominations that are not close.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Considering we have an eternal view of marriage, there is no "unto death do us part" phrasing in the Sacrament of Marriage, that is why even widowed Orthodox use the secondary / penitential rite.

“A great mystery is being celebrated. How is it a mystery? They come together, and the two are made one. They have not become the image of anything earthly, but of God Himself. They come in order to be made one body; behold the mystery of love!” (St. John Chrysostom, Homily 12 on Colossians).

"The union between husband and wife is an end in itself; it is an eternal union between two unique and eternal personalities which cannot be broken. . . (Marriage An Orthodox Perspective, p. 15. John Meyendorff, )

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Considering we have an eternal view of marriage, there is no "unto death do us part" phrasing in the Sacrament of Marriage, that is why even widowed Orthodox use the secondary / penitential rite.

“A great mystery is being celebrated. How is it a mystery? They come together, and the two are made one. They have not become the image of anything earthly, but of God Himself. They come in order to be made one body; behold the mystery of love!” (St. John Chrysostom, Homily 12 on Colossians).

"The union between husband and wife is an end in itself; it is an eternal union between two unique and eternal personalities which cannot be broken. . . (Marriage An Orthodox Perspective, p. 15. John Meyendorff, )

That is thrilling! I need to get that book. What is the exegesis of our Lord’s dispute with the Sadducees over persons married repeatedly?

Upvote 0

Till Schilling

Feb 3, 2021
Bern, Switzerland
✟17,430.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is thrilling! I need to get that book. What is the exegesis of our Lord’s dispute with the Sadducees over persons married repeatedly?

As I recall (my copy is boxed up somewhere but only $16 on St Vlads Seminary), we teach that there isn't "marriage" in heaven as we know on earth but rather our human relationships as still "there" but transformed. I'm putting these in quotes as a kind of emphasis. So in heaven, my mother would still be "my mother" but transformed. Maybe one of the other EOs has some better references. One thing to note that we do not have the same notions as the LDS "celestial" marriage.

Assumption Greek Orthodox Christian Church Scottsdale, AZ, — Marriage Ceremony Explaned is where I got the quote from.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0