Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it depends on if we are speaking of God’s ontological will, or His permissive will according to St Maximos.

both are true for this verse, by the way.
Ahh - which writing does he talk about ontological will vs permissive will? Definitely a topic I’ve been trying to find.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ahh - which writing does he talk about ontological will vs permissive will? Definitely a topic I’ve been trying to find.
(don’t quote me because it’s been a while) in his defenses of the two wills in Christ. I think his dispute with Pyrrhus is a good place to start.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(don’t quote me because it’s been a while) in his defenses of the two wills in Christ. I think his dispute with Pyrrhus is a good place to start.
Thanks!

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
hypothesis

hī-pŏth′ĭ-sĭs

noun​

1. A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation.
  2. Something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation; an assumption.
  3. The antecedent of a conditional statement.

Tentative explanation? That's not the way most people approach the teaching of eternal, conscious torment aka "hell." I would say that for the majority of those professing some form of the Christian faith, it is a settled issue with no room for doubt that it actually exists.

Also, I might be splitting hairs rather finely here, but 1 Timothy 2:4 is a little stronger than "want."

1Timothy 2:4
who doth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;

It seems to me that there is a difference between wanting something (a fond desire, a wish) and willing something (it shall get done, period.) But again, perhaps splitting hairs here.
I meant hypothesis as in a possibility. I don't know of anybody who is definitely going to hell, so hell remains a real possibility. Did God curse some people or certain kinds of people in The Holy Scriptures? They may be closest to hell. Yet, only a sinner might know if he is going to hell, because God Himself is only pure light and love and does not wish that such a Presence causes the torment of others. But you have to fail really badly in order to mistake light for darkness, and good for evil.
Isaiah 5:20
"20Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nobody will be eternally tormented.

Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Darkness will not get an unending triumph.
this is condemned as heresy in our Church. please take note of the subforum in which you are posting.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,177,990.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

John 3:19-21
And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does what is true comes to the light, that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been wrought in God.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
John 3:19-21
And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does what is true comes to the light, that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been wrought in God.
“The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had never been born.” -Mark 14:21

“The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.” -Matthew 26:24

“And truly the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom He is betrayed!” -Luke 22:22

I wonder how is it better for Judas to never have been born, and yet not be in eternal torment?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deafsilence

Feb 22, 2022
Midwest
✟37,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If it is not allowed here, I will post it twice elsewhere. Thank you for letting me know.

prodromos
prodromos
I have to wonder what you expect to achieve by that? Do you not understand that the light Christ brings, reveals things that many wish to remain hidden?
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If it is not allowed here, I will post it twice elsewhere. Thank you for letting me know.
we have a debate forum, should you want to debate us (St Justin’s)

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm open to anything with those that think logically and discuss matters rationally.
then that would be the place to take it if you want a discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums