Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow, I'm shocked that came from an orthodox priest. Tbh all the orthodox I meet are pretty anti-Zionist, I'm not sure if he's an exception or the rule but either way what purpose does a priest have to advocate on political matters? I mean really.. How is a political decision of boycotting Israel (a secular state, by no means constitutionally religious or christian for that matter) somehow dividing the body of Christ (spiritual body of christian saints)?

Personal opinions don't divide the correct dogma, doctrine, belief, liturgy, etc which characterises what the church (body of Christ) is.

Personally, I'm not crazy about Israel foreign policy or the treatment of Palestinians, I think it's deplorable actually. It is true that it is the most secular and the country most like the west in the Middle East. Not that west is a beacon of morality or anything, but in terms of quality if life, democracy, freedom of expression, etc, sure.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The church in Jerusalem is between a rock and a hard place. If they "seem" to favor the Palestinian Authority, they will get slack from the Israeli State, if they favor Israeli elements they receive the wrath of the palestinians.
The Church and her adherents both Arab and Hebrew should place more emphasis on their Rum heritage.

I've never been a fan of the middle eastern churches being critical of Israeli actions while silent on their Muslim overlords. The most embarrassing and tragic incident was a few years ago when the middle eastern churches including the head of the Assyrian Church issued a statement saying how their relations with the Muslims are cordial and wonderful. About a week later extremists blew up an Assyria Church killing scores during Christmas. Meanwhile the head Catholicos of the Assyrian Church does not even reside in Mosel but in Michigan since like the end of WW2. And for a short time before that he made his residence on the island of Cyprus. Even their bishops are consecrated in their cathedral church in London not in Iraq. So any statement by middle eastern Christians of peaceful relations with their muslim neighbors need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0