Tbilisi
✟24,893.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for my English, I may not express what I mean, but hopefully you will understand.

Recently I'm watching many videos from Orthodox laymen, priests, monks with different nationality - English/American, Russian, Georgian, Greek, Serbian, etc. what I noticed is that they look similar to each other, I have a feeling that I can say if a person is Orthodox just by their look.
Humility, modesty, simplicity, kindness, honesty - I found them from their look.

I watched priests from Catholic, Protestant, and Islam, as well. It's hard to find a person with a similar look from other religions, but not impossible.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed this, as well. Beards. They almost all have long beards.

I just saw some pictures in google, they seem to have beards. Wish I could grow one that long.
No offense meant with my “funny” response. No deep commentary, just that I did find it funny. Hope you don’t take offense...tone is hard to convey on the internet.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No offense meant with my “funny” response. No deep commentary, just that I did find it funny. Hope you don’t take offense...tone is hard to convey on the internet.

No offense, at all. I admire both the Orthodox and the beards! :)

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for my English, I may not express what I mean, but hopefully you will understand.

Recently I'm watching many videos from Orthodox laymen, priests, monks with different nationality - English/American, Russian, Georgian, Greek, Serbian, etc. what I noticed is that they look similar to each other, I have a feeling that I can say if a person is Orthodox just by their look.
Humility, modesty, simplicity, kindness, honesty - I found them from their look.

I watched priests from Catholic, Protestant, and Islam, as well. It's hard to find a person with a similar look from other religions, but not impossible.
I think I get what you are saying. It can be noticeable. I even notice a lot of Orthodox MMA fighters because of this. Also like muslims they usually don't get tattoos. Whereas many fighters do. This makes them noticeable.

I will say though from your list "Humility, modesty, simplicity, kindness, honesty". I think kindness could be worked on. I find Catholics are much more friendly and kind. Even the reviews of my local Orthodox church says they're cold and unfriendly.

Last edited:
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
People kept staring at mine for some reason, so I shaved it off.
No offense again .
I had to shave mine for COVID-19...working in healthcare I could not get a seal with the N95 mask with facial hair. ☹️

• Friendly
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I get what you are saying. It can be noticeable. I even notice a lot of Orthdox MMA fighters because of this. Also like muslims they usually don't get tattoos. Whereas many fighters do. This makes them noticeable.

I will say though from your list "Humility, modesty, simplicity, kindness, honesty". I think kindness could be worked on. I find Catholics are much more friendly and kind. Even the reviews of my local Orthodox church says they're cold and unfriendly.
If anyone is interested, some of the fighters I was referring to are trained by Fedor Emelianenko who is himself Orthodox. Vadim Nemkov and Anatoly Tokov fight in Bellator. Also I watched Tokov against an Armenian who I'd assume is also Orthodox? Search Anatoly Tokov vs. Hracho Darpinyan on Youtube for that fight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think I get what you are saying. It can be noticeable. I even notice a lot of Orthdox MMA fighters because of this. Also like muslims they usually don't get tattoos. Whereas many fighters do. This makes them noticeable.

I am sorry that you've had that experience.

• Friendly
Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think kindness could be worked on. I find Catholics are much more friendly and kind. Even the reviews of my local Orthodox church says they're cold and unfriendly.

online reviews can be hard to determine the reality because everyone perceives it differently. I have read of people saying they were told to go away to another church, but it seems to me a possible misunderstanding or language problem. I think many of the ethnic-centric churches are baffled by someone coming to their church if they are not of their ethnicity. Maybe they just think the visitor would be more comfortable around their own people. I visited an ethnic church in my inquirer days and the people seemed confused as to why I was there, but they never told me to leave, so I stayed! They warmed up to me eventually when they saw I was genuinely interested in accepting Orthodoxy.

On the other hand- and I'm not trying to downplay your personal experience, but just relating with mine- I think a big difference between Orthodox, and say Protestant (where I came from), is that Protestants are often overly friendly and very excited to talk to you and dig into your personal life. I find a lot of Orthodox have kind of a very serious, "stoic" way about them, especially the Russians/slavic people :D, but they are very hospitable and welcoming in their own way. That was actually something that attracted me to Orthodoxy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I meant mostly eyes, not beard :D

I get that. Living the Orthodox faith tends to calm a person's anxious spirit and make them more attentive and focused. I am sure that does show up in the eyes, or "windows of the soul." ... but we are definitely known for our outward presentation- beards, long hair, black cassocks, etc. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
online reviews can be hard to determine the reality because everyone perceives it differently. I have read of people saying they were told to go away to another church, but it seems to me a possible misunderstanding or language problem. I think many of the ethnic-centric churches are baffled by someone coming to their church if they are not of their ethnicity. Maybe they just think the visitor would be more comfortable around their own people. I visited an ethnic church in my inquirer days and the people seemed confused as to why I was there, but they never told me to leave, so I stayed! They warmed up to me eventually when they saw I was genuinely interested in accepting Orthodoxy.

On the other hand- and I'm not trying to downplay your personal experience, but just relating with mine- I think a big difference between Orthodox, and say Protestant (where I came from), is that Protestants are often overly friendly and very excited to talk to you and dig into your personal life. I find a lot of Orthodox have kind of a very serious, "stoic" way about them, especially the Russians/slavic people :D, but they are very hospitable and welcoming in their own way. That was actually something that attracted me to Orthodoxy.
I understand not being overly friendly and I agree many Protestants can be like that. For example I personally wouldn't want people talking to me much until I'd attended for a while and even then I would be there to worship not chit chat. I think being welcoming though is more than talking to a person.

On one hand I get the foreign side being a factor but I also don't. If you believe your church represents the true faith why would it baffle you if people turn up?

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fedor was like a Russian Sakuraba.
Fedor actually fought in 2018 and 2019 with some wins. He beat Chael Sonnen who although himself is getting on a bit (for mma) he has great wrestling. Fedor got beat by Bader however and if this has any importance, Vadim Nemkov who is Fedor's student just beat Bader in the first round to win the title. EDIT: the second round*

Reactions: Justin-H.S.
Upvote 0