Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It might be because some ideas of our Western Christian background comes to mind but then we realise Orthodoxy can be different. For example, some prayers can sound like worshipping because of our Protestant background even when that is not the case.

We talk a lot about "Protestant baggage" ... as for me, the lens I was raised with DID distort many things about Orthodoxy. I had to accept first that there was serious historical evidence that they really just might have maintained early Christianity in order to be able to try to set aside what were essentially prejudices instilled by Protestantism (and especially particular teaching that happened to be given to me by people who were Protestants- not that I should actually blame Protestantism itself as an entity) ... anyway, I had to try to set those teachings aside so I could come at everything fresh and try to evaluate it fairly.

It wasn't easy.

I still don't pray certain prayers. Not because I think the Church is wrong to offer them. But because TO ME they mean things I wouldn't affirm (and the Church actually doesn't teach either) ... but because of my lifelong way of using language, they mean something different to me than the Church intends. So I don't pray them.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We talk a lot about "Protestant baggage" ... as for me, the lens I was raised with DID distort many things about Orthodoxy. I had to accept first that there was serious historical evidence that they really just might have maintained early Christianity in order to be able to try to set aside what were essentially prejudices instilled by Protestantism (and especially particular teaching that happened to be given to me by people who were Protestants- not that I should actually blame Protestantism itself as an entity) ... anyway, I had to try to set those teachings aside so I could come at everything fresh and try to evaluate it fairly.

It wasn't easy.

I still don't pray certain prayers. Not because I think the Church is wrong to offer them. But because TO ME they mean things I wouldn't affirm (and the Church actually doesn't teach either) ... but because of my lifelong way of using language, they mean something different to me than the Church intends. So I don't pray them.

Me too to most of this - just in a Catholic setting.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christ is also depicted as standing, rather than hanging on the cross, to show that death had no power over Him, but instead that Christ had victory over death.

That is what my Church has Christus Victor crucifix I believe it's called

Upvote 0