[open]Why are you liberal?

N

NeedingPrayersDaily

They downplay the affiliation and just call themselves a Community Church, which is why I gave them a try - I didn't know they were AoG. Now I'm glad I did. I'm not sure this will work out, but I'll give them a fair chance.

Well, you have to give them a chance, everyone deserves that much. If it does not work out, well, there are more choices available.

For me, I tend to avoid congregations/denominations.groups that are legalistic or exclusivistic. That rules out most conservative/fundamentalist groups right away.

Any groups that wants to say "We are the only Christians" or "We are the only ones who worship the right way" have the potential to be abusive and legalistic. (read Father Booth's book Breaking the Chains.)
Many people flock to these churches out of fear, or guilt, or even a desperate need to belong. But church involvement, in my opinion, should not be about fear or guilt, but about love, fellowship, and seeking the Peace and Goodness that comes from a close relationship with God. by attending a church, we can find others who might seek that and thus bring about the same closeness with God.

Of course, I am not one to talk, because I have not truly found that in reality BUT it is something that I hope some day I would find.

I find that any opinion I express, from religion to the weather, seems to draw criticism from the world in general, and that is why I rarely speak up on anything. I do not walk into a church and offer suggestions or opinions, either; I did when I was younger but I do not anymore. I have found though that anything I say or do would be more tolerated at a traditionally "liberal" church, as in Methodist, Episcopal, Unity, Unitarian, liberal Quakers. For that reason, I would consider myself a more "liberal" Christian. I do like a low key congregation, but at the same time I love the Episcopal high mass which is so beautiful.

The other issue I have, and I addressed this in the Non-Denom forum, is that I have always had (And have accepted that I probably always will have) difficulty making friends and by that I mean even gettign to stage one. I am for some reason, the kind of person people avoid, and if anyone would ever come right out and say why I would appreciate it but that has not happened yet.
I find many churches are overly friendly with someone the first time they come in to visit, but anytime after that they are less friendly and making friends is impossible because the shallowness of greeting every visitor and inviting them back stops there and does not move on to getting to know people any better.

The last town we lived in, we attended the same church for 2 years; we knew only a few people that I worked with that attended there. We made no friends, met no new people, because clearly we did not "fit in" to that congregation. After 2 years, we moved out of town, I scarcely doubt anyone there notices that weare gone. Or cares. I have come to realize that to be the norm, at least for me. But while there, I found great inspiration in the messages preached and a sense of peace in the services themselves. So really, I did not come out empty handed.
But in a liberal congregation, I am likely to speak up on this and find that most people are there " Doing their thing" so to speak and while possibly not trying to make friends, at least they are not trying to destroy and control the lives of others. And if someone is wanting to talk to me, yes I am certainly available.

Upvote 0

Libre

Mar 8, 2007
Overlooking Puget Sound
Visit site
✟16,196.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I like the liberal forum because I keep getting into trouble on conservative forums. To me, Jesus was a liberal. This country was founded on liberal concepts - let's face it, the Enlightenment was not conservative.

But my theology is pretty fundamentalist as far as who Jesus is and so on. But I am pro choice, pro gay marriage, pro women in the pulpit, etc. That goes hand in hand with being liberal socially and politically (not immoral socially, btw). Jesus had more to say about the poor and their oppressors than he did about what people do in private.

I just got in a spot of trouble with the mods because I answered a Buddhist who said Christians seemed to have two gods. I said it could seem that way when you look at the OT and the NT, but he should read it for himself. The mod didn't say it was an infraction, but deleted the post, saying she thought I was flaming Christianity. Go figure.

She even offered to counsel me, since I had a Christian icon but didn't seem to understand what that meant. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. This flaming thing, which I still don't understand, is too subjective if you ask me.

Libre

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I like the liberal forum because I keep getting into trouble on conservative forums. To me, Jesus was a liberal. This country was founded on liberal concepts - let's face it, the Enlightenment was not conservative.

But my theology is pretty fundamentalist as far as who Jesus is and so on. But I am pro choice, pro gay marriage, pro women in the pulpit, etc. That goes hand in hand with being liberal socially and politically (not immoral socially, btw). Jesus had more to say about the poor and their oppressors than he did about what people do in private.

I just got in a spot of trouble with the mods because I answered a Buddhist who said Christians seemed to have two gods. I said it could seem that way when you look at the OT and the NT, but he should read it for himself. The mod didn't say it was an infraction, but deleted the post, saying she thought I was flaming Christianity. Go figure.

She even offered to counsel me, since I had a Christian icon but didn't seem to understand what that meant. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. This flaming thing, which I still don't understand, is too subjective if you ask me.

Libre

Yeah, I wish there was a more objective standard of what is flaming. Or, rather, I wish that the objective standard was follwed. I've been deleted for some really random things...like saying, "in my mind that [a comment I made] was angry, but not flaming. I think flaming is when you say something like...." and then I gave a hypothetical example, which was clearly a random, undirected comment and not an attack on anybody there (something like "you're a #$^&@%^!", acutally using the random symbols).
Yup, got deleted for flaming.

Upvote 0

Libre

Mar 8, 2007
Overlooking Puget Sound
Visit site
✟16,196.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's too funny. I have seen a lot worse on this board, but maybe the mods just didn't notice, or nobody clicked on Report. I'm on several threads dealing with homosexuality, and it's get ridiculous. But nothing is done. Of course, those getting ridiculous are the ones agin' it. Maybe it matters which side you are on, lol.

Libre

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Beacause I can still love the sinner while hating the sin.
Welcome, Bartender!

I hope you'll stick around and join the dialogue. "Loving the sinner and hating the sin" is a phrase that has been used to hurt quite a few of the regulars here. Being a newbie, you had no way of knowing that. I hope you'll stick around and dialogue with people so we can better understand each other's POV about that very controversial phrase. :D

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cos the alternative is unthinkable.

Am not hugely theologically knowledgable, but I know Jesus' two main teachings were Love God and love one another. Liberalism just seems to allow for love more than fundamentalism. That's not to say fundies don't have just as much love, but their personal views can often interfere with their being loving.

Plus, being a former stoner, I tend towards lazy and just can't be bothered to accuse people of being heretics cos they have a different interpretation of a particular verse.

But that doesn't mean Jesus isn't the Lord of my life, or that am not a firm believer in His Word. That's an assumption that non-liberals often make, sadly. Meh.

Upvote 0

Bartender

Apr 19, 2007
✟130.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome, Bartender!

I hope you'll stick around and join the dialogue. "Loving the sinner and hating the sin" is a phrase that has been used to hurt quite a few of the regulars here. Being a newbie, you had no way of knowing that. I hope you'll stick around and dialogue with people so we can better understand each other's POV about that very controversial phrase. :D
Thank you for your kind welcome! No I didn't know that phrase may have had a negative conotation here and I will try to be more careful in my choice of words.

I would like to explain. My "liberal" position, belief, theology, or whatever you would like to call it gives me the freedom not to hurt, hate, or condemn. I hope to have a heart filled with love and tolerance that goes beyond mere words and shows in my everyday actions of communion with my fellow human beings.

Sin exists but I am callled to love and love gently and with great compassion. That's how I see it.

Sincerely,
B

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freespirit2001

Contributor
Dec 3, 2003
Eastern Shore off the Chesapeake Bay, Md
Visit site
✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was looking for a group of supporters for "victims of family crime and crime connections" "annonymous"...
I somehow knew, I couldn't look for support, or emotional or spiritual intelligence in any of the local established Churches or religions....
Ideally, I was hoping to find a spiritual empowerment group to fight corruption, and to perception test and reality test where corruption, ( and hidden abuse of power agendas and conspiracies against our rights to protest) have destroyed moral integrity in whole families; in whole neighborhoods, in whole towns,---where corruption has taken over many of our workplace cultures, our learning environments, and no one sees nothing anymore...

I couldn't find any spiritual empowerment group supporters out there--- for furthering "democratic legal empowerment" in the community culture, for furthering perception testing and information gathering in protection of our "freedom of spirit"....rights....

.....Anyway....

Liberal is the best way to go.....

However....I may not be the one "climbing the stupid tree" in these matters....

Upvote 0