✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
i agree to a certain extent.

i mean either human beings let the devil, or a metaphorical understanding of the devil give them power...but then it almost makes one wonder, what power does God have, unless we human beings give God a chance.

The way I see it, any acknowledgement that s has any power whatever, means giving that which is due to God only to s instead; rather a dodgy area to get into.

Hence, s has no power whatever (unless we give it to him through this kind of worship). Everything is in God's hands, and he is the one to look to, in all things. He only can create life, and he only can take life away. He only can grant the gift of his Grace, and eternal life.

Best s can manage is a car boot sale appproach to destruction; swapping our souls for a new car, or a better house. Not such a good deal. :D

Whatever is good, whatever is holy, whatever is pure, look on these things.

Upvote 0

FLANDIDLYANDERS

When I am slain may my corpse lie facing the Enemy
Aug 16, 2005
Pompey
✟20,336.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I believe he was using "towards" and "away" in a figurative sense. He was talking about how closely aligned we are with God spiritually, not actually getting closer to or farther away from Him..

Indeed. Such coments have to be vague cos only God judges at the end of the day.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Indeed. Such coments have to be vague cos only God judges at the end of the day.

And also because God is the world's worst navigator. It has to be said, it really should not take 40 years to cross the Sinai.

Which is why I am happy for God to go with me, but I read the map.

:D

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And also because God is the world's worst navigator. It has to be said, it really should not take 40 years to cross the Sinai.

Which is why I am happy for God to go with me, but I read the map.

:D
The sojourn in the desert was not because God was lost, but because the Israelites had yet to be tested and purified.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Of course we are not lost. I decided to go the pretty route."

:D :D :D
Actually, some scholars think the Israelites stayed at Petra for a long period- I'd rather live in an awesome stone fortress than some dinky desert village anyday, milk and honey or no.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Actually, some scholars think the Israelites stayed at Petra for a long period- I'd rather live in an awesome stone fortress than some dinky desert village anyday, milk and honey or no.

Petra sounds a good place to stay. Only problem is, once there, why would they leave? :)

And some scholars think there was more than one Moses, and more than one route through the desert, because there are two (at least) included in the OT.

Just as Abraham and Abram are not the same person, but two people.

However, others will, no doubt, disagree.

:wave:

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps it simply didn't make much of an impression. It does sit in a rather barren landscape, then as now. The Bible actually has rather harsh words for Petra later in the books of the prophet Obadiah and others:

The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground? Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest among the stars, thence will I bring thee down, saith the LORD.

Upvote 0

HisBelovedMelody

Jan 3, 2006
✟10,896.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Petra sounds a good place to stay. Only problem is, once there, why would they leave? :)

And some scholars think there was more than one Moses, and more than one route through the desert, because there are two (at least) included in the OT.

Just as Abraham and Abram are not the same person, but two people.

However, others will, no doubt, disagree.

:wave:
HOW do you come to that conclusion? I must say, that is a first for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums