Iowa
✟32,653.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My OB informed me that I was a good candidate for this, as my daughter was c-section because of lack of progression, more or less she didn't decend and I stoped dialating at 9 cm after 44 hours of labor.

So anyone have experiance with this, VBAC that is?

GolfingMom

Is gone...
Mar 13, 2006
✟20,321.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was a good candidate until the end of my pregnancy. My baby was getting to be large and seeing as though my pelvic area is small and I tend to have large babies that get "stuck" I opted for another C. My OB was willing to work with me but the closer I got to my due date and having no signs of an early birth and knowing they can't induce after a C...I decided to have another C.
Now, I would have tried a VBAC is they could have induced me.

Upvote 0

RooMama

FKA AmyR00
Aug 10, 2005
✟9,999.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was out of town and missed this thread the first time around. My OB also said I was a perfect candidate for a VBAC (my anatomy is "textbook" :cool:). My 1st C-section was for failure to progress (I was only at 5 cm after 20 hours of hard labor and my water had been broken the whole time). I planned on the VBAC right up until my water broke at 33 1/2 weeks. They stopped my labor for 3 days and then had to do an emergency C-section becasue baby was in distress. I am no longer a good candidate for VBAC and my OB won't even consider it.

Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No experience in that department, my first baby was also a c section tho and I'm hoping next time that I'll be a canidate for a vbac too because they did my c section because I quit contracting all together and wasn't dialating.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Often times a failure to progress is due to presentation problems. The baby might have an arm up or be ascynclitic or whatever...ther are a million wierd presentations out there. It can also have to do with emotional factors- as labor begins to really wear mom down. Usually it is a combination of many things.

I haven't has a VBAC (as I haven't had a Csection...though just barely they were getting ready to knock me out when my 2nd baby decided that it was pushing time). I have however doulaed at VBACs.

There is a great book out there entitled The VBAC Companion by Diana Korte. ANd another book which I highly recommend (with certain stipulations) for women who are planning a VBAC is Birthing From Within by Pam England. The stipulations are #1 it can sound a little new agey in places, and #2 part of the book involves doing some drawing to examine your emotions --and that is just not something that was really for me. However--even with those two reservations- I think it is an invaluable book! One of the moms who had a VBAC told me afterwards that she just kept saying to herself over and over again one of the things that she read in that book :) The reason why I am such a huge advocate of that book is because I think it really helps a woman to really look squarely at the fears she has surrounding birth- as well as the expectations she has. And through really walking through our fears- they lose power over us...and we can be free to birth. She makes a big push to show that birth is physical, emotional and spiritual...and if we are struggling with fear- it can hinder birth just as an actual physical impediment. I don't know --it is an awesome book!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
My doctor wasn't willing to do a vbac, because the reason I had an emergency c-section in the first place was because my pelvis was too small. So I've had two c-sections. I'll have a different doctor this time, wonder if she'll think the same thing.

He said that I had a 80 % chace of failure rate.

HB

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Often times a failure to progress is due to presentation problems. The baby might have an arm up or be ascynclitic or whatever...ther are a million wierd presentations out there. It can also have to do with emotional factors- as labor begins to really wear mom down. Usually it is a combination of many things.

Or the mom was *meant* to have a super long labor... I know its not a fun thing to hear, but some women are in labor for days. Once you check into a hospital though they are all over you. :(

I haven't has a VBAC (as I haven't had a Csection...though just barely they were getting ready to knock me out when my 2nd baby decided that it was pushing time). I have however doulaed at VBACs.

There is a great book out there entitled The VBAC Companion by Diana Korte. ANd another book which I highly recommend (with certain stipulations) for women who are planning a VBAC is Birthing From Within by Pam England. The stipulations are #1 it can sound a little new agey in places, and #2 part of the book involves doing some drawing to examine your emotions --and that is just not something that was really for me. However--even with those two reservations- I think it is an invaluable book! One of the moms who had a VBAC told me afterwards that she just kept saying to herself over and over again one of the things that she read in that book :) The reason why I am such a huge advocate of that book is because I think it really helps a woman to really look squarely at the fears she has surrounding birth- as well as the expectations she has. And through really walking through our fears- they lose power over us...and we can be free to birth. She makes a big push to show that birth is physical, emotional and spiritual...and if we are struggling with fear- it can hinder birth just as an actual physical impediment. I don't know --it is an awesome book!

I didn't really like Birthing From Within, but then I think that's because the art thing wasn't really for me either. I checked it out of the library. VBACs can work, and they have a very good safety rate... they are technically safer than a second c-section. My friend just had her baby, wanted a VBAC but they wore her down telling her that she should just get a c-section (and her husband) so when she was a week and a half overdue they scheduled her a c-section. So there might be some pressure if you want to do this. One good thing about a VBAC as opposed to a scheduled c-section is that your baby knows how long to be in there and scheduled c-sections can result in a baby that's "too early" (according to baby's clock) and sometimes even almost premie issues. You could give it a try remembering that if in the end you need a c-section that you at least gave it a shot and you'd be in labor so you would know that baby is ready too (since you kicked into labor)... I think A Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth covers VBAC... get a doula!! :tutu:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

RoseofLima

I just skipped to the second part of the book:) It was important to me to work through some of the birth trauma which I had undergone...and I also liked hearing a birth book tell me that it was gonna hurt....A LOT--but that I could do it, and that pain meant my body was doing exactly what it was suppose to be doing.

I have a pet peeve with birth books that make it sound like if you just breath right, or focus enough, or surrender enough- it won't hurt. That's balderdash! It freakin' hurts....it's really hard work...but just as true is that I can do it- and advocate for care which is best for me and my baby.

I also second, heartily...LEanna's recommendation for Henci Goer's book....and also absolutely for a doula--unless you have someone in your family or a close friend who can fill that role for you. The whole "trial" labor stuff would infuriate me...to me that says that a doctor doesn't really think I can labor, and will be looking for the slightest reason to give me a C-Section. I'd find someoen else the moment the word "trial" came out of my caregivers mouth.

Upvote 0