Open society in Cuba! / Open Society in the RCC?

John Stefanyszyn

Feb 28, 2011
✟670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BBC News - Pope Benedict calls for open society during Cuba visit

Recently, Mr. Ratzinger called for an open society in Cuba.
Recently, Mr. Ratzinger said that he would not tolerate "personal preferences / ideas" in the RCC., i.e. would not tolerate "open society" within the RCC.

One message to the people in the world and another ( seemingly contradictory) message to the priests in the Roman General Church.

But maybe they are not contradictory statements....

...if the "Christ" that Joseph Ratzinger is preaching is the redefined Christ that believes in and represents the belief in freedom of rights, freedom of religion.

Do other "religions" and "gods" have equal rights in the eyes of the One Creator Father?...do other "gods" exist?.. or are they not only man's creation for his self-interest?

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
Old news, even for you.

Meanwhile, you should answer post 13 on this thread, which you never bothered to respond to. I'll paraphrase for your convenience:

The Pope's homily during the Chrism Mass was about true and false renewal; his point was that disobedience is not the root of true renewal, only "configuration to Christ." If you have a problem with his believing that configuration to Christ is the root of renewal, sorry.

The Pope believes that governments and states should not coerce a person into a certain belief contrary to their conscience.

The Catholic priesthood is not a government, and "All our preaching must measure itself against the saying of Jesus Christ: 'My teaching is not mine' (Jn 7:16). We preach not private theories and opinions, but the faith of the Church, whose servants we are." The Pope would not support the Austrian government forcing the dissonant priests in Austria to recant; itaque, there is no contradiction at all in his philosophy.

Te Deum Laudamus...

Upvote 0

florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Being a member of the Catholic (or any other) church is voluntary and you can join and leave when you want.

Being a member of a country is not voluntary - it depends where you are born and where you live. Many people could never aspire to leave their country.

Calling for a more open society in Cuba or Iran or anywhere else is only a good thing.

Upvote 0
K

Kanzaz

Being a member of the Catholic (or any other) church is voluntary and you can join and leave when you want.

Being a member of a country is not voluntary - it depends where you are born and where you live. Many people could never aspire to leave their country.

Calling for a more open society in Cuba or Iran or anywhere else is only a good thing.

I agree! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0