Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2006
✟18,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
QUESTION OF THE DAY :

Do you have a problem sitting around in a hot tub with other people (friends, other couples, etc)?

My husband and I were talking this morning and a spa commercial came on and he commented, "Why would you ever want to sit around in a hot tub with a bunch of other people (unless you were a single guy surrounded by girls, he said :doh: )? It's just....weird!"

And I said, "Well, I don't know...it's not really much different from a swimming pool, is it?"

And he said (with horror on his face), "No...it's WAY different...more like sharing a bath tub with people."

It's kind of interesting to me, because my hubby is a big fan of hot tubs, public hot tubs included...but it's always been just us (and maybe our girls) in a hot tub together. LOL, I guess I just assumed that it wouldn't be a big deal, though, if other people were sharing the hot tub with us. :scratch:

So, my question is, what's your opinion on sharing a hot tub with other people besides your spouse and your children? Are you fine with it? Or is it weird, gross, uncomfortable, icky, what? Is this just a fundamental male/female difference? Because I've shared a hot tub with other people (back in the day) and it wasn't weird to me at all. Hmmm.

LOL! Wow, I had no idea people had hot tub phobias LOL! That's ok though, to each their own :)

It doesn't bother me one bit. I've been to tons of public hot tubs, with tons of people in the hot tub. To me, it's like the same thing as standing beside someone who possibly has a cough. You can catch their germs by breathing it in... you can also catch germs from sitting in a hot tub... (I've never gotten sick/a rash or anything from being in a hot tub) there's germs everywhere. I don't let them spoil my fun ;)

Just as long as I don't see fungi growing in it, (places should have some sort of cleaning standards) it's fine with me. I take a shower after I'm out anyway.

Yay for hot tubs :clap:

Upvote 0

firestar

Senior Veteran
Sep 3, 2005
Beautiful Canada
✟13,381.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I kind of understand his ickyness factor. My sister has a hot tub and when the whole family goes over we usually sit in it and chill and talk etc... Now on the one hand it's fun and sooooo relaxing, but on the other hand I have thought.. "hmmm I'm sitting in sweat broth right now, how nasty is *that*?". Which grosses me out so I try to stop thinking about it! ^_^

Upvote 0

Mrs. Enigma

Transformers was awesome!!!!
Jan 12, 2004
somewhere
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I read the first post, but my comment is that recently we have been going to the pool every week (yes, you did read that right. Blaa. So quit sticking your tongues out at me everyone.) Anyhow, my husband and I go and sit in the hot tub with randomn other people there. If it is uper crowded, then we don't, but we feel fine about it, weirdly enough...

Upvote 0

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are a number of reasons that I would not share a hot tub with anybody but my own family, and these are just a few:

#1 The boiling point of water is 212 degrees, and of course humans cannot survive those temperatures. So chlorine (bleach) products are added to the hot tub to keep it "germ free". The problem is that these chemicals do not function at a capacity that keep all bacteria from surviving.

Here are some examples of what I am talking about:

Disinfectant Resistant Bacteria Identified in Hot Tub Vapors

Survival of herpes simplex virus in water specimens collected from hot tubs in Spa facilities and on plastic surfaces

http://www.webmd.com/content/articl...edguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
There are a number of reasons that I would not share a hot tub with anybody but my own family, and these are just a few:

#1 The boiling point of water is 212 degrees, and of course humans cannot survive those temperatures. So chlorine (bleach) products are added to the hot tub to keep it "germ free". The problem is that these chemicals do not function at a capacity that keep all bacteria from surviving.

Here are some examples of what I am talking about:

Disinfectant Resistant Bacteria Identified in Hot Tub Vapors

Survival of herpes simplex virus in water specimens collected from hot tubs in Spa facilities and on plastic surfaces
Oh my! I asked my wife this weekend what she thought about hot tubs and the two words out of her mouth were "germ fests!" lol

I guess don't dip with anyone you don't know *very* well.
:eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

tryingtobeagain

I go in my parents hot tub once in a while just because I know my Dad is a germaphobe so I know it's clean (wonder where I get that from). I have gone in it with my mom and sister, but not with other random people. I don't think I would do that.

On the other note: I have walked around in my bra and panties in front of my girls when we're getting ready to go out and are either getting our outfits ready or doing hair/makeup before dressing.

Upvote 0

LynnMcG

A reflection of the Son
Sep 20, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟20,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just don't wanna share my little 4 person hot tub with Marge and Homer next door after "celebrating our love" in it the night before! LOL!

(Okay, not that that's happened yet, but a girl can dream a little!)
OH! That's what Dr. Oz was talking about too, how unhealthy it is for women to have sex in a hot tub. Too many chemicals being forced into places chemicals/bacteria don't belong...

Again, ewwwww

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh my! I asked my wife this weekend what she thought about hot tubs and the two words out of her mouth were "germ fests!" lol

I guess don't dip with anyone you don't know *very* well.
:eek:
The most disgusting term I heard used was "skin soup." :sick:

Upvote 0

Gwen'sMom

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,656.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Well there was a time in my life where I never had a problem with it. But my ideas have changed SO MUCH since I became a Christian (thank the Lord).
It is really uncomfortable for me now and I am so happy that we no longer have a hot tub. It's just about impossible to keep your own space. The jets push you around and you wind up floating if you don't hold on. Feet wind up touching in the middle and I just hate climbing out of the thing in a soaking wet bathing suit for all to see. I would much rather sit around the patio on lawn chairs. But it was very relaxing when it was just hubby and I.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have a hot tub out on our deck, and I've never had any issues sharing it with family/friends. I've honestly never thought of sharing it with people as any more sexual than going to the pool or warterpark or beach with friends, it's just a different kind of thing. But none of our friends have bikinis or speedos, so it's all modest swimwear.

It is kind of interesting though because many of our friends have made comments assuming that my husband and I have sex in the hot tub, which is not true because it is OUTDOORS with no privacy, and our house is on a corner lot that borders a semi-busy residential road. Can't say I'm all that crazy about getting "caught" by my neighbors that I see often.

Upvote 0

andiesmama

Senior Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Florida
✟18,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't and don't have a problem with it. We've been on vacations and have sat in hot tubs at the hotels. Sometimes strangers will come in there, I never thought anything sexual about it.

'Course that could be because usually it's an older overweight couple wearing skimpy suits.... :sick: ;)

Upvote 0

Emma!

Veteran
Nov 3, 2003
✟9,482.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think this must be more of an issue for our American friends, than those in Europe.

As for Australia - we call them 'spas'. We have them at most resorts alongside a pool, and I've spent more than enough time in them. Both with family, friends and strangers. Same thing with saunas.

I don't see any issues - WHY is this an issue again? :confused:

Sasch

Yeah i was thinking the same thing, here its common to have spas both in-doors and out... my husband and i have spas every time we go to his parents (they have one inside and one outside) we have them with family and friends, i have never thought anything of it.

The indoor one (in the master bedroom) i wouldnt like to share though, just because of its location ;)

Upvote 0