✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
QUESTION OF THE DAY :

Do you have a problem sitting around in a hot tub with other people (friends, other couples, etc)?

My husband and I were talking this morning and a spa commercial came on and he commented, "Why would you ever want to sit around in a hot tub with a bunch of other people (unless you were a single guy surrounded by girls, he said :doh: )? It's just....weird!"

And I said, "Well, I don't know...it's not really much different from a swimming pool, is it?"

And he said (with horror on his face), "No...it's WAY different...more like sharing a bath tub with people."

It's kind of interesting to me, because my hubby is a big fan of hot tubs, public hot tubs included...but it's always been just us (and maybe our girls) in a hot tub together. LOL, I guess I just assumed that it wouldn't be a big deal, though, if other people were sharing the hot tub with us. :scratch:

So, my question is, what's your opinion on sharing a hot tub with other people besides your spouse and your children? Are you fine with it? Or is it weird, gross, uncomfortable, icky, what? Is this just a fundamental male/female difference? Because I've shared a hot tub with other people (back in the day) and it wasn't weird to me at all. Hmmm.

Reactions: Redguard

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
I guess I've never really thought about it.

I've never shared a hot tub with anyone before though. Not because I didn't want to... the opportunity just never came up.

I don't think that I'd really be bothered by it that much. I see it the same way as you... it's like being in a swimming pool with a bunch of people.

Is your husband grossed out by the idea of germs spreading faster in hot water? Or is it the eroticism of being in a "hot tub" with other people?

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess I've never really thought about it.

I've never shared a hot tub with anyone before though. Not because I didn't want to... the opportunity just never came up.

I don't think that I'd really be bothered by it that much. I see it the same way as you... it's like being in a swimming pool with a bunch of people.

Is your husband grossed out by the idea of germs spreading faster in hot water? Or is it the eroticism of being in a "hot tub" with other people?
LOL, I think it's both. He hates eating at buffet style restaurants because the shear volume of people all sharing the same food grosses him out...especially if said people are coughing, sneezing, scratching their armpits or something before serving themselves:sick: ...lol, I don't really blame him there. But I think it's also the intimate nature of a hot tub situation...especially if there were other men sharing the hot tub, lol.

He said that he just couldn't imagine, if we ever owned a hot tub, a scenario where we'd invite our friends over to hang out in the hot tub with us, lol.

I hadn't thought about it much (because odds are slim that we'll have a hot tub any time in the immediate future), but I guess I'm more comfortable being close to people on a platonic level. I'm a touchy-feely, huggy-kissy type person anyway...and he's totally not. So maybe that's the difference?

Reactions: plum
Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a modest dude by nature. I don't even feel all that cozy sharing a hot tub with other dudes! I did once at a get together with people from my karate school (a couple other dudes) and I was ok, but not overly enthused about being in there.

I'm kinda like that with swimming pools too.

As far as germs in a hot tub, I would think the germs would all be "cooked" off!
:D

I used to do the hot tub thing with a few friends, guys and girls, when I was much younger and more uninhibited. But I knew them all really well.

Upvote 0

gracefaith

Faith...Hope...Love
Sep 26, 2004
Visit site
✟13,991.00
Faith
Christian
I've done it and I'll admit, it feels pretty immodest. I don't think the hottub itself is the problem, so much as the skimpy bathsuit coupled with just sitting around that seems weird to me. It's like having a cocktail party in your underwear.

Your husband's comment about it being like bath tub is funny to me, because one of my giant hangups about getting rebaptized via immersion (so I can join a Baptist church) is that the whole thing seems like I would be getting into a bathtub or hottub with a old minister guy. We'd be in the same warm water. EEWWWWWWWWW!

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PS Hottub with my chickfriends would be okay. I would actually have a cocktail party in my underwear with them.
LOL, I totally agree!!! But guys always think it's some kinky, sexual "pillowfight turned kissing" thing when girls hang out in various stages of undress. :doh:

Panties and bras are no different (to me) than a bikini...and if it's all girls (and you're all cool like that), then there's not much need to worry about immodesty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We do.

It's called boxing and wrestling!! :D
My hubby wrestled in high school! What's up, then??? Why the weirdness in hot tubs, but no weirdness when it comes to rolling around on top of each other dressed in spandex?

Hmmm. :scratch:

Upvote 0

OceanFloor

Jan 4, 2007
CheeseLand
✟15,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is not.

Ya know, if guys would hang out together in their underwear more often, then maybe they would lose such silly notions.
Okay......I've never thought of myself as a homophobe, but I DON'T think I'll be doing that any time soon! ;) LOL.

I think the appropriateness of hot tubs is all in the context of the situation. Being in college, coed hot tubbing was NOT the most Godly activity. Am I alone on this one? Whenever I was at a party that involved a hot tub, there was always something going on with someone. Always made me want to get out.

Hot tubs in men's locker rooms (at gyms) are simply nasty. There is no way that I would EVER go in one. And, I'm not a germaphobe, I simply worked at a health club long enough. No, I don't want to share any of the maintenance staff's stories....

Adult hot tubbing....my guess is that if you're with friends hanging out - it's just fine. If you're with a bunch of single people, guys might think of it as a bit of a "move" if a girl says she wants to go in the hot tub. I would have.

So, again, I think the context of the situation has a lot to do with it.

Okay, I'm going to ask my office mate if we should just hang out in our boxers today now.... J/K!!!!!!!

:)

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see the problem. We have a couple who we are friends with and I'd have ont problem sitting in a hot tub with them having some wine and chatting. We would have bathing suits on. We've all sat rather close before while swimming so I don't see the difference.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay......I've never thought of myself as a homophobe, but I DON'T think I'll be doing that any time soon! ;) LOL.

I think the appropriateness of hot tubs is all in the context of the situation. Being in college, coed hot tubbing was NOT the most Godly activity. Am I alone on this one? Whenever I was at a party that involved a hot tub, there was always something going on with someone. Always made me want to get out.

Hot tubs in men's locker rooms (at gyms) are simply nasty. There is no way that I would EVER go in one. And, I'm not a germaphobe, I simply worked at a health club long enough. No, I don't want to share any of the maintenance staff's stories....

Adult hot tubbing....my guess is that if you're with friends hanging out - it's just fine. If you're with a bunch of single people, guys might think of it as a bit of a "move" if a girl says she wants to go in the hot tub. I would have.

So, again, I think the context of the situation has a lot to do with it.

Okay, I'm going to ask my office mate if we should just hang out in our boxers today now.... J/K!!!!!!!

:)
LOL, okay, well, maybe not guys hanging out in their undies together...

But how about guys hanging out without their shirts on? Maybe that's a more accurate equivilent to girls hanging out in their panties?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sf49erfan

Veteran
Sep 30, 2005
Maryland (DC suburbs)
✟3,088.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It depends on the size of the hot tub.

I think it would be a little weird to be in a small hot tub (4-person size) with another couple, especially if they were all over each other.

But it is totally different in one of those huge hot tub that hold like twenty people. I'd be fine with a party tub.

Upvote 0

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, I guess I'm just weird, but why would girls hang out together in their underwear? :scratch: I have a couple female best friends and we would never do that...I'd never even think of doing it. Maybe I don't understand what you all mean by underwear...I'm thinking panties and a bra but maybe you guys mean little shorts and a tank top? Or do you mean bra and underwear?

Back to the OP. I've never thought about it because the only time we're around a hot tub is when we visit my in-laws. They've invited us to join them in the hot tub but there is not way I'm sitting around with my MIL and FIL in bathing suits. Yuck! :sick:

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Hot tubs are cool as long as no one adds some extra "bubbles" to the water.
;)

Or one of these:

babyruth.jpg

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, I guess I'm just weird, but why would girls hang out together in their underwear? :scratch: I have a couple female best friends and we would never do that...I'd never even think of doing it. Maybe I don't understand what you all mean by underwear...I'm thinking panties and a bra but maybe you guys mean little shorts and a tank top? Or do you mean bra and underwear?

Back to the OP. I've never thought about it because the only time we're around a hot tub is when we visit my in-laws. They've invited us to join them in the hot tub but there is not way I'm sitting around with my MIL and FIL in bathing suits. Yuck! :sick:
LOL, I don't know...sleepovers and stuff. We wouldn't just all undress and hang out in undies...but we weren't shy about walking around in undies or changing clothes. I was never really uncomfortable with that kind of stuff around my girlfriends...we were on the tennis team together, so we were changing around each other before every tennis match. And we'd hang out at night down at the lake by my house...sometimes we'd swim...we didn't always have swimsuits with us, so bras and panties were convenient and practically the same.

But, yeah, what's the difference really in booty shorts and a tank top, or a bra and undies, or a bikini? Not much...it's really all the same to me.

LOL, but maybe I'm the one that's weird. :scratch:

And lest this be misconstrued as "titillating" that's I've got to say about that... :blush:

Upvote 0