[open]MJ Remembering those difficult times....

Athaliamum

Torah Submissive
Sep 18, 2006
Australia
✟16,991.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I think that there is a balance to be met at what other people would consider the christmas season. If there are things as a family we want to do, we're not not going to do them, like giving presents just because it may seem close to a christmas tradition.

Here in Australia, during the christmas season, many organisations close down for about a month for the end of the year. This therefore is best time for the family to get together as most of us our spread out over the continent. We get together, some traveling over 2000km and we share meals and exchange presents, as during the year most of us just send cards because posting a present would normally cost more then the present itself. I'm not going to say "Can't exchange presents now because the world see's it's christmas time". I'm not going to be dictated what I do and what I don't do because of their traditions.

As for christmas decorations and traditional foods - well christmas tradition is winter and it's smack bang in the middle of summer here. I've actually not met an Aussie yet who sits down to have huge turkey's and cover their house with decoration, you might find the occasional house with lights out the front, but they're normally far and few between. So I've never been asked why, when people come into our house at that time, we don't have a christmas tree or any decorations. So no one obviously thinks it's that weird to ask.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
This is unfortunately a common tale...so many Jews had observant grandparents, whose children became assimilated..but fortunately many of the grandchildren are now coming back.
I was just confused because you said Gort came from an Orthodox home, so I couldn't figure out why mom would know nothing....so although her parents were observant, she was not...so the home was not Orthodox...again this is quite common but sad story..
technically true - although they self described it as Orthodox up to the time of his bar Mitzvah, and so in respect for them (they being Jewish and defining themselves as Orthodox at that time - in spite of glaring contradictions to the contrary - like the ham & cheese sandwiches Gort got when he came home from his bar Mitzvah classes and the bread Gort was always sent for from the kosher deli, for Shabbat.... ) I define them as they defined themselves.... it is not for me, a shiksa, to challenge the Jewish observance of my in-luvs or how they defined that observance ....

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟171,339.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
As a Messianic gentile I have to say, the more I approach Jewish , the more persecution which can not be described clearly I feel. I also do know the feeling of Being alone. Living in this forum would help me, but i left the reality of China more far away.

Why does Jewish always relate with persecution and hurt? And Alone is just the fate?

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you wags. I have been looking all over the net for congrargations in my area. I live in Mississippi. I think the majority here are southern baptists.
Sometimes small home groups don't think to list themselves with any of the various on-line listings. You might try contacting listed congregations in your state to see if they know of any in your area.

Friends of our have gone so far as to take out an ad in the local paper looking for a messianic fellowship or persons interested in studying hebrew roots. ("if you can't find one, start one" being the idea behind the ad)

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

As a Messianic gentile I have to say, the more I approach Jewish , the more persecution which can not be described clearly I feel. I also do know the feeling of Being alone. Living in this forum would help me, but i left the reality of China more far away.

Why does Jewish always relate with persecution and hurt? And Alone is just the fate?
But in China there aren't really Christmas decorations. So at least that part is easier.

Upvote 0

scoutswife

Oct 30, 2006
El Paso,Texas
✟10,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes small home groups don't think to list themselves with any of the various on-line listings. You might try contacting listed congregations in your state to see if they know of any in your area.

Friends of our have gone so far as to take out an ad in the local paper looking for a messianic fellowship or persons interested in studying hebrew roots. ("if you can't find one, start one" being the idea behind the ad)
if you can't find one, start one
I would love to. I get nervous and intimidated even thinking about doing that. I would want to be well learned before trying to teach some one else. So,the idea of listing for an already learned MJ would be better suited for me I believe. Sorry if I am not making sense. My 7 yr old is talking in my right ear while I am trying to think and type.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
just start a group where the 2 to 3 people who come together to pray and study and are interested in learning about what scripture says.... you don't teach, you share ... you learn from each other and share and grow and become friends....

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I would love to. I get nervous and intimidated even thinking about doing that. I would want to be well learned before trying to teach some one else. So,the idea of listing for an already learned MJ would be better suited for me I believe. Sorry if I am not making sense. My 7 yr old is talking in my right ear while I am trying to think and type.
A simple get together where you all study together or watch a teaching DVD together and discuss. (FFOZ.org has some great study resources) It doesn't have to be elaborate.

Upvote 0