✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What are your thoughts on this?

A rather dumb series of "reasons" for forsaking corporate worship and the Body of Christ, without which a believer will die, and in fact, the person who wrote this appears to be already dead. Sad!

Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I am curious. Does the author believe it is okay to be LBGTQ and practice the lifestyle? If so, how is the idea supported? Personally, I am divorced. I know what I did was wrong. I am not offended if you tell me I was wrong as long as you don't shun me or are mean to me. I do not expect you to support the idea of divorce. Some churches actually shun divorced people and are careful which groups you may join, ie: you may not sit at a table with married once people. You may not teach classes or be a deacon or elder or minister.
You can take the garbage out I think and clean tables. I do not want to serve inside the church. I am happy to do things outside the church. I don't let the rules bother me because I find there is so much need in the world and people who need clothes and food don't ask what my sins are. I am looking for a church gathering that doesn't shun me, but I will probably always serve elsewhere. If I ever leave town, I will disclose nothing to anyone.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I am curious. Does the author believe it is okay to be LBGTQ and practice the lifestyle? If so, how is the idea supported? Personally, I am divorced. I know what I did was wrong. I am not offended if you tell me I was wrong as long as you don't shun me or are mean to me. I do not expect you to support the idea of divorce. Some churches actually shun divorced people and are careful which groups you may join, ie: you may not sit at a table with married once people. You may not teach classes or be a deacon or elder or minister.
You can take the garbage out I think and clean tables. I do not want to serve inside the church. I am happy to do things outside the church. I don't let the rules bother me because I find there is so much need in the world and people who need clothes and food don't ask what my sins are. I am looking for a church gathering that doesn't shun me, but I will probably always serve elsewhere. If I ever leave town, I will disclose nothing to anyone.
The OP hasn’t logged in for over a year, so we probably won’t get an answer

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, did you leave the Body of Christ? Or did you stop going to a church building?
It wasn’t the building being a hypocrite or lacking love and empathy for "the least of these." Add to that what we’ve seen from evangelical Christians in the last few years, supporting Trump, hating on immigrants and poor people, really just reveling in mean-spiritedness. I think the church through most of history has been an outlet for people’s desire to judge and look down on "others." Certainly many wonderful people have done good through the church, but that is not its legacy or current focus. Jesus came with a message of forgiveness and charity. He came to release us from sin. To me, that was about releasing us from self-hate and legalistic morality.

Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
It wasn’t the building being a hypocrite or lacking love and empathy for "the least of these." Add to that what we’ve seen from evangelical Christians in the last few years, supporting Trump, hating on immigrants and poor people, really just reveling in mean-spiritedness. I think the church through most of history has been an outlet for people’s desire to judge and look down on "others." Certainly many wonderful people have done good through the church, but that is not its legacy or current focus. Jesus came with a message of forgiveness and charity. He came to release us from sin. To me, that was about releasing us from self-hate and legalistic morality.

I did not think the building was being a hypocrite or unloving. You chose to be condescending. I was trying to understand if you have turned your back on God or quit going to church or both. People call the Body of Christ "the church" as well as the building where people congregate. Sounds to me you don't like older people. I identify as Republican, but do not hate immigrants or gay people. You lump everyone together. I am not surprised by some millennials turning their backs on God. Your expectations perhaps go beyond having people be nice to you. You want people to think like you, perhaps. I love poor people and the disabled. Jesus' disciples were sinners, but he wanted them to change their behavior. Do you find in the Bible where Jesus does not want us to refrain from certain behaviors to the point He says some people who persist in certain sins will not inherit the kingdom? There are no perfect people. I agree that ministers should not view inappropriate content. I did not realize this was a problem with them. I always like to know the sample size that was studied, how was inappropriate content was defined, what denominations were involved in the study, what was the average age of the participants, etc. before I believe the results of a study. But, I think the issue is that you do not love Christians who won't compromise their beliefs as society continues toward the gutter. You want Christians to go with the flow to make its church members happy. I am sorry for you and those who have followed you.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did not think the building was being a hypocrite or unloving. You chose to be condescending. I was trying to understand if you have turned your back on God or quit going to church or both. People call the Body of Christ "the church" as well as the building where people congregate. Sounds to me you don't like older people. I identify as Republican, but do not hate immigrants or gay people. You lump everyone together. I am not surprised by some millennials turning their backs on God. Your expectations perhaps go beyond having people be nice to you. You want people to think like you, perhaps. I love poor people and the disabled. Jesus' disciples were sinners, but he wanted them to change their behavior. Do you find in the Bible where Jesus does not want us to refrain from certain behaviors to the point He says some people who persist in certain sins will not inherit the kingdom? There are no perfect people. I agree that ministers should not view inappropriate content. I did not realize this was a problem with them. I always like to know the sample size that was studied, how was inappropriate content was defined, what denominations were involved in the study, what was the average age of the participants, etc. before I believe the results of a study. But, I think the issue is that you do not love Christians who won't compromise their beliefs as society continues toward the gutter. You want Christians to go with the flow to make its church members happy. I am sorry for you and those who have followed you.
I didn’t intend that to be condescending to you at all, I’m sorry if it came across that way. It’s unfortunate that instead of just taking what I said, which is pretty clear and specific, and addressing that, you’ve drawn other conclusions about me. I’m not young, I’m not a millenial. What in the world makes you think I "don’t like old people?"

Upvote 0