Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Yesterday I went to pick up my son from school as I am on school holiday (I teach in a different authority from where my son's go into school so the holiday dates don't quite match so I had first day of Easter Holidays when they were having their last day at school). I took my daughter out of nursery for the day and spent it with her taking her to McDonalds and to buy a dress (my wife was still working).

We got the tube back to my son's school to pick him up. Now anyone who goes on a tube network on a large city will know that people are not friendly, do not speak to one another, do not make eye contact and are generally in a little bubble of their own.

Getting off the tube there is a huge staircase to get to the exit. There were two ladies both carrying the most massive suitcases up the stairs lugging them up one step at a time with extreme effort and force. The people getting off the tube were swarming around them, no one talking no one doing anything.

I - being born again and Spirit filled - had a passing thought to go and offer help, but being a rational Londoner quickly dismissed the thought.

At that moment, my just turned four year old said very loudly "We must help those ladies Daddy". I was really convicted.

I went up to the nearest lady and offered help. I helped them both to carry their cases to the top of the stair case. All the while my daughter was asking them where they were going and what they were carrying and having a great conversation with them.

Romans 12 tells us not to be conformed to this world. Children are too young to be bound by the selfish social constructs that we have been told we must stay within. They are too pure of heart to be trapped by the negativity that has rubbed off on all of us.

Be like a little child - don't let let the world squeeze you into its mould. That is God's message to me, and maybe to some of you today.

Reactions: pdudgeon

charityagape

Blue Chicken Gives You Horns
May 6, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟24,930.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's very convicting. I was complaining the other day that I cant seem to go into a store without complete (and sometimes strange) people coming up to me and starting random conversations while I'm trying to do the shopping.

Duh! Then one day I felt the Holy Spirit telling me that those people were responding to what was in me and I was turning them away to finish my errands.

Ouch.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
<At that moment, my just turned four year old said very loudly "We must help those ladies Daddy". I was really convicted.

That's very sweet. I'm sure your daughter's conversation while you were carrying the bags really touched them, maybe even more than you carrying the bags! I've never been to London (I've thought about it a lot!), but public transportation has a strangeness to it that is refined(!). You kind of reluctantly co-exit because the world lives in an oppressed zone that we don't want any part of. Even most of them don't want a part of each other's worlds. It's so dark, that a voice like your daughters shines really bright against the smug, life-on-hold until I get off from here environment of public transportation.

Touche! Give your daughter a kiss and thank her for being who she is!

Don

Upvote 0
I

IngaLuv

What a lovely reminder of what we are all supposed to be or at least strive to be. I was thinking this the other day as I watched people scurry about on their cell phones completely disconnected to the people right along side them. How often we see people in restaurants sitting with family/friends and yakking on the cell phone. We witness people struggle but turn our heads away to avoid eye contact.

I am certain you walked away feeling a little better about yourself. Why is it we avoid that wonderful feeling so often? What an odd thing about humans. We avoid helping others though it makes us feel good when we do. God bless your daughter and you for seeing the wrong in your original ways. Hopefully now, you and the rest of us that read this can take that Holy Spirit with us on some more "random acts of kindness" missions.

Upvote 0