Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been told the sabbath is optional, and just a day of rest from work. I took his word by faith. Then I hear different perspectives I can't figure out which one is true. The Bible doesn't seem to support Sabbath-keeping in the new covenant from when I read.

Where can I find an undeniable fact that it's either optional or that we are meant to still keep it? I am still confused on this controversy, and on top of that even if the 7th day is the day of worship there are literally no churches around me that even worship on the 7th day. And if its not even a big deal, I have no problem worshipping on Sunday.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think if the apostles wanted us to observe holy days they would clearly be seen in scripture but they're not. In Hebrews 4 we see another Sabbath. This is the sabbath we must keep. In my opinion this sabbath is observed daily by resting from our evil works and doing Gods works instead.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This scripture may be relevant. Resting from our labor. This might refer to salvation by faith not works. I dunno.

Revelation 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, “Write, ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!’” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “so that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them.”

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've been told the sabbath is optional, and just a day of rest from work. I took his word by faith. Then I hear different perspectives I can't figure out which one is true. The Bible doesn't seem to support Sabbath-keeping in the new covenant from when I read.

Where can I find an undeniable fact that it's either optional or that we are meant to still keep it? I am still confused on this controversy, and on top of that even if the 7th day is the day of worship there are literally no churches around me that even worship on the 7th day. And if its not even a big deal, I have no problem worshipping on Sunday.

It might answer your question that there are no churches near you that keep the Jewish sabbath. Sunday worship for Christians has been the tradition since the first century. Pliny, writing to Trajan in 112 AD, described the Christians as "meeting on a certain day of the week before dawn" to worship. While he does not mention what day, it is not a sabbath tradition to meet before dawn. Sunday worship was so firmly established that at the Council of Nicea Constantine ordered that all businesses be closed on Sunday to allow Christians to worship. Constantine did not establish Sunday worship, but protected it.

The idea that Christians are required to keep the Jewish sabbath is only recent. That is the reason you don't find churches meeting on Saturday. It is universally accepted that Christians meet on Sunday.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The 1st day of the week is a great day for worship as we are refreshed from resting on the 7th day.

• Haha
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Isn't it evident, the Seventh Day Adventists are the only ones celebrating the Lord's day on Saturday.

The Jews also observe the 7th day but they always have.

You say yourself, "there are literally no churches around me that even worship on the 7th day."

When people get tied up with these types of questions, they become BOUND by Legalism, which becomes a Religion unto itself.

Here is Legalism, according to Jesus.

John 7:22,23
22) Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers, and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
23) If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?

They were going about breaking the Law, in order to keep the law.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It might answer your question that there are no churches near you that keep the Jewish sabbath. Sunday worship for Christians has been the tradition since the first century. Pliny, writing to Trajan in 112 AD, described the Christians as "meeting on a certain day of the week before dawn" to worship. While he does not mention what day, it is not a sabbath tradition to meet before dawn. Sunday worship was so firmly established that at the Council of Nicea Constantine ordered that all businesses be closed on Sunday to allow Christians to worship. Constantine did not establish Sunday worship, but protected it.

The idea that Christians are required to keep the Jewish sabbath is only recent. That is the reason you don't find churches meeting on Saturday. It is universally accepted that Christians meet on Sunday.

Even Jesus attended the synagogue on the Sabbath, but all were still under the OC at that time. Meeting on Sunday is a great option as it frees up the Sabbath for rest...it's intended purpose.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The 1st day of the week is a great day for worship as we are refreshed from resting on the 7th day.

All that resting on the seventh day is a lot of work! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single

Well worshiping on Sunday is fine and there is no acquirement for or against it, but keeping the Seventh sabbath day holy is a commandment from God(see the moral law). So if you keep the Seventh day sabbath holy, there is no reason you can't worship on any other day as well just so long as you are not observing these other days as the Lord's holy Day/Fourth commandment.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Just Another User

Nov 24, 2018
The United part
✟15,817.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll try my best and answer your question.

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them"

Well what does fulfill mean?

Irenaeus a late 2nd century Christian states that "The Lord did not abrogate the natural of the Law but he extended and fulfilled them"

"Extended?" you may say. "This is unscriptural!" However just looking at the rest of Matthew 5 easily confirms this.

"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, `Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment"

"You have heard that it was said, `Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart"

"You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

The law has been extended and fulfilled. We are now of the spirit rather than the flesh.

Paul does this also.

Paul appeals to the Law in 1 Corinthians 9:8 but later goes on to say that God doesn't care about Oxen.

Paul also says in Colossians 2:17 that Law of the Jews was a shadow of the things to come.

Jesus does the same in Matthew 7:18-19 by saying that nothing can defile him if it doesn't enter his heart. Jesus hasn't abolished the law but he has extended and fulfilled it.

Hebrews 7:12 says there's a change of priesthood and of the law.

So what has this got to do with the Sabbath?

I can assure that NONE of the early christians kept a day Sabbath. To claim so is either out of naivety or a lie.

Here's a quote from Ingatius of Antioch. Head of the church of antioch and appointed by the position by the Apostle John. This is from one of his letters in the very early 2nd century.

"Those who have been brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath but living in observance of the Lord's day"

The Letter of Diognetus written in the first half of the 2nd century

"But as to their meticulousness concerning foods, their superstition regarding the Sabbaths, their boasting about circumcision.. as if He forbad us to do what is good on the Sabbath days, how is not this impious"

Justin Martyr an incredibly important church theologian and figure writing in the mid 2nd century

"The new law requires you to keep perpetual Sabbath, and you, because you are idle for one day, suppose you are godly, not understanding why this command was given to you"

Irenaeus who was also a very important defender of Orthodoxy writing in the late 2nd century

"And there will be no command to remain idle for one day of rest, to him who perpetually keeps sabbath, that is to say, who in the temple of God, which is man’s body, does service to God, and in every hour works righteousness."

However the early church also kept the Sabbath. Though they no longer did work on the 7th day, they kept the new version of the Sabbath or the perpetual sabbath. Instead of literally resting they now spiritually rested in Christ and gave everyday (which was now holy due to keeping the Sabbath) to the Lord.

Hebrews 4:4 is talking about 7th day Sabbath which contrasts the new Sabbath of Hebrews 4:8-9.

For the record, the Lord's day mentioned by Ignatius is completely different than the Sabbath. You didn't fast on the Lord's day (for reverence of Christ resurrection ) but you still worked.

So now we Christians keep everyday holy and worship God everyday too instead of just one. Resting in Christ everyday rather than in the flesh once a week. Keeping a perpetual Sabbath.

• Informative
Reactions: ADisciple
Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'll try my best and answer your question.

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them"

Well what does fulfill mean?

Irenaeus a late 2nd century Christian states that "The Lord did not abrogate the natural of the Law but he extended and fulfilled them"

"Extended?" you may say. "This is unscriptural!" However just looking at the rest of Matthew 5 easily confirms this.

"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, `Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment"

"You have heard that it was said, `Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart"

"You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

The law has been extended and fulfilled. We are now of the spirit rather than the flesh.

Paul does this also.

Paul appeals to the Law in 1 Corinthians 9:8 but later goes on to say that God doesn't care about Oxen.

Paul also says in Colossians 2:17 that Law of the Jews was a shadow of the things to come.

Jesus does the same in Matthew 7:18-19 by saying that nothing can defile him if it doesn't enter his heart. Jesus hasn't abolished the law but he has extended and fulfilled it.

Hebrews 7:12 says there's a change of priesthood and of the law.

So what has this got to do with the Sabbath?

I can assure that NONE of the early christians kept a day Sabbath. To claim so is either out of naivety or a lie.

Here's a quote from Ingatius of Antioch. Head of the church of antioch and appointed by the position by the Apostle John. This is from one of his letters in the very early 2nd century.

"Those who have been brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath but living in observance of the Lord's day"

The Letter of Diognetus written in the first half of the 2nd century

"But as to their meticulousness concerning foods, their superstition regarding the Sabbaths, their boasting about circumcision.. as if He forbad us to do what is good on the Sabbath days, how is not this impious"

Justin Martyr an incredibly important church theologian and figure writing in the mid 2nd century

"The new law requires you to keep perpetual Sabbath, and you, because you are idle for one day, suppose you are godly, not understanding why this command was given to you"

Irenaeus who was also a very important defender of Orthodoxy writing in the late 2nd century

"And there will be no command to remain idle for one day of rest, to him who perpetually keeps sabbath, that is to say, who in the temple of God, which is man’s body, does service to God, and in every hour works righteousness."

However the early church also kept the Sabbath. Though they no longer did work on the 7th day, they kept the new version of the Sabbath or the perpetual sabbath. Instead of literally resting they now spiritually rested in Christ and gave everyday (which was now holy due to keeping the Sabbath) to the Lord.

Hebrews 4:4 is talking about 7th day Sabbath which contrasts the new Sabbath of Hebrews 4:8-9.

For the record, the Lord's day mentioned by Ignatius is completely different than the Sabbath. You didn't fast on the Lord's day (for reverence of Christ resurrection ) but you still worked.

So now we Christians keep everyday holy and worship God everyday too instead of just one. Resting in Christ everyday rather than in the flesh once a week. Keeping a perpetual Sabbath.

I don't even know what the sabbath is, so it was a question not a claim.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

On what day does the Bible forbid us to worship?

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Suppose something happened that instantly destroyed every calendar in the world, and people remained in a fog for about 19 days. Not one single person on Earth would, then, have any idea what day it was when their minds cleared. Do you suppose God would start sending those to Hell who were continuing their worship on some other day than the old Saturday, just because they guessed the wrong day?

This is about how stupid this whole "Required to worship on Saturday" issue is. Jesus did not come to lay ridiculous laws on us.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Suppose something happened that instantly destroyed every calendar in the world, and people remained in a fog for about 19 days. Not one single person on Earth would, then, have any idea what day it was when their minds cleared. Do you suppose God would start sending those to Hell who were continuing their worship on some other day than the old Saturday, just because they guessed the wrong day?

This is about how stupid this whole "Required to worship on Saturday" issue is. Jesus did not come to lay ridiculous laws on us.
Some would say we should have no holy days at all. Problem solved.

• Haha
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.