✟428.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Okay, this is my last question for the night - I promise. :D

I saw this in another post:
PetertheRock said:
When I say "May the precious blood of Jesus Christ wash away my sins and purify me." My sins are gone and I am pure until I sin again. Usually that's a matter of minutes or hours but as long as I am able to ask Jesus to cleans me before I die I do not believe you need to go to purgatory.
Is this true? Is it that easy to get rid of one's sins? Don't you have to go to confession or at least acknowledge what your sins actually are to truly repent of them?

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you may be taking the contextual part of what he (the other poster) to a level that might be confusing. You should always be vigilant and confess as if were witnessed by our Lord...this does not obviate going to confession. But the processing we have leading up to confession and after confession are worthy of great, great reflection. You have the innate ability to confess your sins without going to confession right away...it's built in and nurtured by our teachings.

Upvote 0

SmileBugMG

Oct 21, 2005
✟926.00
Faith
Catholic
The only sins that you *have* to go to confession for are mortal sins. Eucharist removes the stain of venial sin, but it is still a good practice to confess venial sins. Honest repentance is necessary for sanctification. We cannot abuse the sacraments, assuming that the outward form is all that is necessary. That would be a sacrilege and the sin of presumption.

There is also what is called the "Act of Perfect Contrition" which is a sincere and complete act of repentance, along with the sincere resolve to confess as soon as possible. I.e. If you die without being able to confess to a priest, but were truly repentant in your heart, God will have mercy on you.

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
SmileBugMG said:
The only sins that you *have* to go to confession for are mortal sins. Eucharist removes the stain of venial sin, but it is still a good practice to confess venial sins. Honest repentance is necessary for sanctification. We cannot abuse the sacraments, assuming that the outward form is all that is necessary. That would be a sacrilege and the sin of presumption.

There is also what is called the "Act of Perfect Contrition" which is a sincere and complete act of repentance, along with the sincere resolve to confess as soon as possible. I.e. If you die without being able to confess to a priest, but were truly repentant in your heart, God will have mercy on you.

I even prefer replacing the term, confession with reconciliation...because, as you have deliniated quite well, we are truly reconciled before our Lord with meaningful contrition. The priest will absolve us but we have this capacity before our Lord if catastrophe happens.

Upvote 0

SmileBugMG

Oct 21, 2005
✟926.00
Faith
Catholic
Protinus said:
I even prefer replacing the term, confession with reconciliation...because, as you have deliniated quite well, we are truly reconciled before our Lord with meaningful contrition. The priest will absolve us but we have this capacity before our Lord if catastrophe happens.

I agree. "Reconciliation" is a much better description of the sacrament. "Confession" is only a part of it. But old habits die hard I guess.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.