Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a series on Netflix called One Man, Three Wives. It's really disturbing, mainly because they are distorting Scripture to back up their depraved ''marriages.'' They believe that they will ''earn'' salvation because they are polygamists. It's really sad and scary what it must be doing to the children of the community. While on the surface, they seem ''normal'' but it really looks like adultery, to me. And they are quite deluded to be preaching that the Bible ordains this. It doesn't.

I only watched two episodes and decided that was enough. I think it should be illegal to put kids through that...telling them they have three moms and one dad? And the husband continues ''courting'' other women, and then he takes a vote from all of the kids and his wives, if he should ask her to marry him. lol Oh my, what some people will do to live out their perverse fetishes...they will go so far as to manufacture a religion, and call it ''God's will.''

• Informative
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a series on Netflix called One Man, Three Wives. It's really disturbing, mainly because they are distorting Scripture to back up their depraved ''marriages.'' They believe that they will ''earn'' salvation because they are polygamists. It's really sad and scary what it must be doing to the children of the community. While on the surface, they seem ''normal'' but it really looks like adultery, to me. And they are quite deluded to be preaching that the Bible ordains this. It doesn't.

I only watched two episodes and decided that was enough. I think it should be illegal to put kids through that...telling them they have three moms and one dad? And the husband continues ''courting'' other women, and then he takes a vote from all of the kids and his wives, if he should ask her to marry him. lol Oh my, what some people will do to live out their perverse fetishes...they will go so far as to manufacture a religion, and call it ''God's will.''
I don't know about the people on this show but tusually people who live this way are off shoots of the LDS, the Mormons, who practiced this life-style until the government made polygamy illegal. Remember Joseph Smith, he started the Mormon religion and the polygamy doctrine.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about the people on this show but tusually people who live this way are off shoots of the LDS, the Mormons, who practiced this life-style until the government made polygamy illegal. Remember Joseph Smith, he started the Mormon religion and the polygamy doctrine.
Yes, that’s exactly what it’s about...LDS and they live hidden away in this community. What bothered me was misquoting and misinterpreting the Bible to justify their sin or pretend like they’re not sinning. It’s not adultery, it’s a plural marriage lol

Also disturbing were the things being taught to the kids.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not that I'm a fan of polygamy - nor would I ever do it (who needs more than one wife complaining about their snoring? lol) - I've always kinda felt that while the Bible doesn't exactly promote polygamy (hence why it's always kinda referenced in the sense of "If a man takes another wife....") - and always kinda portrays it as being problematic - it does not exactly forbid it either.

That being said - it's a bad idea - IMHO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not that I'm a fan of polygamy - nor would I ever do it (who needs more than one wife complaining about their snoring? lol) - I've always kinda felt that while the Bible doesn't exactly promote polygamy (hence why it's always kinda referenced in the sense of "If a man takes another wife....") - and always kinda portrays it as being problematic - it does not exactly forbid it either.

That being said - it's a bad idea - IMHO.
If a man takes another wife...I think it simply means that God understood man’s weakness. Just like giving permission to divorce. And so on.

Many people who aren’t believers criticize the Bible for “God being okay with slavery.” And he wasn’t. But the Bible is honestly a book that tells a human story of why we need a Savior. Why God made a new covenant with us.

God specifically said that a man should marry one woman. But people do as they wish and try to bend God’s rules to suit their needs, and twist Scripture to back it all up. :/

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More than one wife? It rarely works out and causes a load of trouble for everyone.

But I think of the situation of Jacob. Genesis 29 Working for years to marry the woman he loved; but finds out he was tricked into marring the older sister instead. Should he have been satisfied to stay with only Leah?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Polygamy... It’s not my cup of tea, but if that’s somebody else’s prerogative as long as it’s all consenting adults who willingly engage in it, it doesn’t particularly bother me one way or the other. If they think God condones it, that’s between them and God.

Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly theres much worse on Netflix, from sex to "christian" things that are pretty crazy.

What really is confusing about polygamist is living with one woman is hard enough. Why would you want mutiple? Three periods a month to deal with (unless they are all in sync), three women fighting with each for your affection, more jobs you got to work. Sounds more like a nightmare.

As someone once told me having two women in one house is very hard in and of itself. Doesn't matter if they friends, mother/daughter....etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More than one wife? It rarely works out and causes a load of trouble for everyone.

But I think of the situation of Jacob. Genesis 29 Working for years to marry the woman he loved; but finds out he was tricked into marring the older sister instead. Should he have been satisfied to stay with only Leah?

Well......................let's think about the overall context in this case, Dave. It's not like (surprising to us) Jacob wanted to actually marry two women. No, in his case, it was forced upon him by his overly concerned uncle. Strange, I know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God specifically said that a man should marry one woman.
It is not quite that simple.

2 Samuel 12:7
Nathan then said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel, ‘It is I who anointed you king over Israel and it is I who delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I also gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your care,** and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these!​

** "into your care" is perhaps better translated "into your arms" or "embrace" or "bosom;" meaning that they were to be his wives, not just being supported by him.

i.e. GOD gave king David multiple wives.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always wondered exactly how someone would pull something like this off.
Not too hard. Get the guy good and drunk, keep the bride completely covered and make sure the tent they consummate in is pitch black and she keeps completely silent.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don’t think it should be illegal, I think people should be able to make the choice in what type of marriage they have. I met people in Africa that had more than one wife, what happens to that family structure when the father converts to Christianity? I personally don’t care, it’s not for me, I don’t have the energy to be nice to several different personalities. However I understand the cultural ties, I just think it’s a different way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so how about letting one wife marry multiple men? Hmmm...no Bible Scripture to back that up eh? lol Yea, only the men could have more than one wife and somehow...God agreed. Jesus didn’t condone it, for the record.

I knew some on here would condone a man having several wives. Patriarchy is alive and well.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is not quite that simple.

2 Samuel 12:7
Nathan then said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel, ‘It is I who anointed you king over Israel and it is I who delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I also gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your care,** and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these!​

** "into your care" is perhaps better translated "into your arms" or "embrace" or "bosom;" meaning that they were to be his wives, not just being supported by him.

i.e. GOD gave king David multiple wives.
Why would you assume it holds a sexual meaning? There’s also a passage about taking care of widows...that doesn’t mean having sex with them.

It’s funny in a sad kind of way how people misinterpret the Bible for their own agenda.

Slavery went on too...was that somehow ordained by God? Lol

People do things and ask God if it’s ok after. I happen to think that was the case with some of the stories in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, so how about letting one wife marry multiple men? Hmmm...no Bible Scripture to back that up eh? lol Yea, only the men could have more than one wife and somehow...God agreed.

That’s because God knows one wife putting up with the sexual demands of three husbands would mean she literally never gets anything done ever.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another text to consider is that bishops or elders were to be the husband of one wife.

I Timothy 3
1This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; 4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence 5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); 6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. 7 Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

The same is said of deacons. This, along with husband and wife becoming one flesh seems to indicate this is the ideal.

I think one of the factors that drove the practice in past ages was that men tended to die at higher rates in war/work, etc. Women didn't have as many work options, and would often rely on men for support.

Last edited:
Upvote 0